Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

BME Edge Maiden Flight

Old 09-05-2005, 05:14 PM
dirtypool
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BME Edge Maiden Flight

Well, after having the boxes containing my BME Edge rev 1 staring at me for months, I finally got it finished. Actually, I just made the financial commitment to get it finished. The work was done by a friend of mine. He did a fantastic job on it. I couldn't be more pleased with the final result.

It still needs a bit of tweaking, etc (mostly on the radio programming) but I am happy with it. I still need to weigh it as it took almost a pound of lead behind the firewall to get it to balance. I balanced it at about 5". I am curious to see what it weighs.

This was my first 3d plane and my first large plane, so I was a bit nervous.

Ok, so, first flight - smooth rollout and flew a couple laps. It needed about 3-4 clicks of trim to get straight and level. I flew it around for a few minutes at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle just getting used to it. Roll rate is excellent as is its power. Got a few loops, rolls, and stalls in just to shake out the cobwebs. Came in for a landing and the glide rate was not what I expected. It got down to about 10 feet and started to drop fast. I still had quite a bit of airspeed (or so it seemed) and I bounced it on the landing, second bounce took my gear and prop with it. Luckily, I had another prop with me (Zinger Pro 22 - 10) and I mount my landing gear with plastic screws so it just popped off without harming the gear plate. A few minutes of repairs and it was ready to go again.

Second flight - rollout took longer than I thought, but I was taking off at about 1/2 throttle or so. Did some more rolls and larger loops. Man, that DA-50 can sure pull through the loop with ease. Did a snap roll on an upline and was very impressed. These 3d planes will really do anything you tell them to even with very little airspeed. Crazy. Anyway, flew around for a few and landed in a direct crosswind. Took a few passes to get it slowed down. That plane really had a hard time slowing down. Maybe it was too much pitch in the prop (first one was an msc 22-8). Or my idle was still high (new engine) but I got it down and landed smoothly. had to kill the ignition to get it to stop rolling. Hopefully once it has a few gallons through it I can lower the idle and get a better landing speed. I guess I could use flap(erons) but I would rather not have to.

Anyway, I am very happy from the successful flight. I really have to thank the builder ReCon (Steve) as well as Desertpig, Bryant330L, ptGarcia, Maudib, Sparhawk, and everyone else on these forums that helped me and answered all of my stupid questions.

hope these links work:
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1753711/mpage_1/key_bme%2Cedge/tm.htm]BME Edge? thread[/link]
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3267004]My Setup[/link]

Thanks again.

I will post some pics and the final weight later.

Rob
Old 09-05-2005, 07:58 PM
ronk1
My Feedback: (25)

Default RE: BME Edge Maiden Flight

I have a FPE 3.2 in my BME Edge its weight is 16lbs 9oz. The FPE and the DA-50 weigh about the same w/ ignition and muffler. It seems odd that it would "drop" on landing because I can slow mine down to the point its almost a Harrier landing(nose up tail wheel touching first) with no stall tendencies. I do think you have a CG issue. My CG is 4 1/4" back a bit tail heavy but for 3D its seems to be the best IMO. In fact I was going to try 4 1/2" to take out a little wing rock it has in Elevators. 5" seems tail heavy, the original manual calls for 3 1/2" to 4 1/2". This plane is like many "scale" acrobatic planes, if you want it to 3D the CG setting will make it so landings will take a little down elevator on approach to get the nose down then hands off and it will flare out itself (some correction at times of course). All and all its a great flying plane in the 50cc class.
BTW I did move the pull pull rudder servo forword because mine was tail heavy after completion of build.
Hope this helps and good flying, Ronk1
Old 09-05-2005, 08:12 PM
dirtypool

Thanks Ronk1.
Are you referring to the new BME Edge II? Mine is the older one. The manual says something like between 4 and 5 inches back for cg. I saw some of the other guys flying it at 5 1/2 and said it is stable at 5.0. I am probably a little bit under 5. I dont have a balancer, so I am using the "finger" method.
It was strange to say the least. Maybe I will try more nose weight and see if that helps. The second landing was much better. I am not too concerned with 3d yet as I am not a 3d pilot by any means. (yet)

I am still excited about the flight today. Hope to get some more flights in next weekend. Very happy. Very happy.....

I think I am going to get rid of most of my glow stuff. Being able to pack up and go without cleaning off the oily mud was nice. Electric and gas are my new best friends.

Thanks again.

Rob
Old 09-05-2005, 08:18 PM
ronk1

The "OLD" one, not much difference by the way. The new one has a better color scheme though IMO. If your not concerned with 3D at this point make it 4" to 4 1/4" if you can.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:39 PM
dirtypool

Thanks Ronk1
I agree on the color scheme. Dunno if the new one has the same balancing problems or not. They are blowing the old ones out cheap right now.

I'll move the cg forward for sure.

Here are some pics before and after the bad landing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43727.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	320209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87717.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	320210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41355.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	320211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi15004.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	320212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yk66720.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	320213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ne56171.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	320214  
Old 09-05-2005, 08:43 PM
dirtypool

I still need to get a screw for the spinner. The one it came with was too short. What screw fits that DA-50 (size and length if you know it)?
Thanks.

Rob
Old 09-05-2005, 08:53 PM
ronk1

A spinner will help your CG problem, it adds about 3oz in the best place you can hope for! Mine has over 50 flights on it and one of my favorites. Some times loading my 35% plane after work takes to much time. I'm sure you will be flying this one with nerves of steel soon!
Old 09-05-2005, 09:09 PM
ronk1

A 10-32 socket head cap screw, the length you will need to measure. I don't know what spinner you are going to use. Normally it is the same length as the spinner tip to bottom without the thrust plate and less the prop thickness.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:51 PM
dirtypool

Thanks.

Its a Dave Brown. I have the backplane on, but the spinner itself should add a couple ounces. Its lighter than I would like though.

Yeah, these are pretty big, but all you need is the plane and tx and some gas. I kept feeling like I was forgetting something since I didnt need my other box with the glow igniter, extra plugs, cleaning supplies, etc.

If I didnt have a truck it would be very difficult to transport.

Electrics have come a long way in the past few years, so they are easy to toss in the car for some quick and easy (and clean) flying.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:11 PM
ronk1

The bolt will add an oz itself. If its an Ultimate spinner maybe a bit more.