Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Bud Nosen Trainer problems

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Bud Nosen Trainer problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 09:43 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: B.N.T.

ORIGINAL: bobbydee

Howdy Evan,

After builden 2 of these big birds, can you tell me if the plan meant using a .60 nitro engine.It says to use a 60 gas.And I was told a 60 gasser is huge!! And what"s your thoughts on "fully sheeting"..too heavy? sounds like the stock steel gear aint the best? Thanks for your input, Bob
Yes they meant a .60 airplane fuel engine not gas. These things came out in the late 70s or early 80s and I built the first one I had in 83. This was before the first gas engines had come out for our rc airplanes though I'm sure that someone had converted weed eater engines or chainsaw engines back then. As designed these plane came out very lightly loaded and flew excellent with the small motor, remember a .60 was one of the biggest readily available engines back then, the Fox .74 had just been released and it was HUGE!!!!

If you build it as per the plans and put a modern .60 on it and change the landing gear to aluminium I guarentee you will have one of the most enjoyable airplanes youv'e ever had. I did the bolt on wing thing because it was hard to find the big rubber bands that you needed to put the wing on. And if you do plan on higher speeds some type of bracing of the tail should be done. None of these mods add significant weight. I do not recommend sheeting, keep it light and it'll fly better, all airplanes do. I've seen these Nosen trainers hanging in hobby shops with extra reenforcing and gas engines on them and you're killing the airplane with these modifications, build it as planned and enjoy it.

I built the first one while stationed in Spain and when I was transfered to Guam I cut the wing in half, it was around 8 1/2 foot span, and then fiberglassed it back together in Guam. While in Guam I adapted a VHS-C camcorder, back when VHS-C was new and expensive, inside the trainer and took alot of video of Guam. I even slope soared it as a glider it had such a low wing loading. I had such a good time that after I had come back to the US in the 90s I found the second one and set it up for acrobatics with the .75.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:22 PM
eagledancer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

concerning the supertigre, you might be under proped, i have had several and still fly 2 of them, they really like a 20-6 prop
i use fuel that is high oil content and 0 nitro, also make sure you have right thrust and down thrust
Old 12-16-2005, 03:57 PM
GaryV
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Bud Nosen Trainer problems

Hi,

This is a pic of my Nosen trainer after it was completed. (if I loaded the pic correctly)
It is pictured with a DA 50cc engine. I also flew it with a ZDZ 60cc.
The fuse was sheeted when I got it, it is a 20 plus year old plane.
It had a flying weight of 25 lbs. after I got finished with it.

I would say a .60 glow engine would fly it if it was built light, but you wouldn't be carrying any extra payload.

Mine is currently in the basement broke in half, I had a slight landing problem at the AMA field during a R/C Skydive contest.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90584.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	371097  
Old 12-16-2005, 05:38 PM
evan-RCU

Like I said this thing was designed to fly on a .60 and did so very well. I flew camcorders, back in the 80s when they where big and heavy, and all sorts of parachuted stuff in mine....

The 16 foot span plane in my avitar only flys with a US 41cc. It only weighs 25 lbs and probably has 6 times the wing area of the B.N.T.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:24 PM
bobbydee

Hay Evan,

16 footer is huge!! Thanks for the call back! I was building this plane thinking of completly sheeting and then covering with dope and cloth then paint giving it a durable finish.Less hanger damage!! I also figured maybe a little extra wood here and there.Maybe I better rethink this.I ve got a O.S. 1.08 or a zenoah 23 that arent doin anything and was hoping on using one of them.I was adding flaps also on the wing just inside of the ailerons.Always wanted a nosen trainer ever scence I say one in a R/C mag years ago and paid dearly for it of the web.So I really appreciate all the input all you guys are offering!!
Old 12-17-2005, 10:13 AM
bobbydee

Boss pic Gary!

The plan does call for full sheeting on the fuse,is the rest sheeted and do you know if somebody added alot of reinforcing for it to haul around that DA engine?or has any weight been added to the tail to counter the weight of the engine? thanks for the input...Bob
Old 12-17-2005, 09:59 PM
GaryV

Bobbydee,

When I got the plane it had been built and flown some time ago, then the covering had been stripped off and it sit like that for quite a while.
I made a complete new two piece wing with aluminum wing tubes and a bolt on mount.
I made a new fire wall from 1/2" ply, sawed off the sides that extended past the firewall and made a fiberglass cowl.
I also built a new horizonal stab and elevators, and new vertical stab and rudder.
The rudder and elevator servo's were moved the rear of the plane.
I also made a new main gear and converted it to a tail dragger.
No additional weight was added for balance.

attached is a pic of my current drop plane.
It is a Senior Telemaster fuseladge with a Kangke Monocoupe wing and tail group, and a Zenoah G-26 engine, weighs 14lbs.

GaryV

Name:	Da83189.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	371849  
Old 12-18-2005, 08:48 PM
bobbydee

Howdy,

Good lookin pic's.. I did notice theres no supports from your stab to your elevator as it shows in my plan. Maybe that could cause you greef with yaw? My ailerons are not strip like yours but there much deeper or wider, how ever you want to look at it.I think I'll full sheet and mono coat mine, add my O.S. 1.08 and hope for the best.Glad to see so many B.N.T.s out there! Hope to up load a pic of mine here in about one month,did you say right thrust and no down? thats somthin else the instructions left out.Thanks for the input!!Bob
Old 12-19-2005, 10:45 PM
GaryV

Bobbydee,

I'm not sure what you mean about the supports, and I have forgotten what the plan looks like, maybe i'll have to go back and look.
I added 4-40 wire bracing from the vertical stab to the horizontal stab on the top and bottom.
The new wing was built using the plans, other than being built as a two piece wing with no dihedral, and extended the ailerons one more rib spacing longer. I don't think making the ailerons longer was a help.
The plane did not turn good with just aileron control, I kept rudder to aileron mixing on most of the time.
I had about 3 deg. right and 1-2 deg. down thrust, you should not need that much with a smaller engine.

Gary

Name:	Mk26167.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	372974  
Old 12-21-2005, 10:52 PM
bobbydee

Hi Gary,

Lookin at your pic you already gone a step better than the plan! there givin me a small dowel to use, I believe for the top side only. running cable as you did looks alot cleaner. Maybe I'll ad 1 deg. down and 1 1/2 right. About decieded on using the O.S.1.08, fully sheeting, mono coat instead of dope and paint with just a touch of re-enforceing thrown in. Around my house,if it flys,it usually dies! Been building for a dozen years but I fly like s_ _ _! The good thing is I have no close neighbors.I take off the hwy out front,and the plane lands were ever it wants.Which is o.k. with me as long as it,s in one piece!! Later....Bob
Old 02-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Dano101
My Feedback: (4)

Hello, I'm new to this Board and have a couple of questions with my BNT Prints.

I picked up a BNT about 50% complete and the drawings were all chopped up. I put them back together, however the top right corner of sheet one is missing. Does anyone know what this section of the drawings states, is, or waht may be missing? Thanks for any assistance.

Dano
Old 03-09-2020, 08:38 AM
N.C. Flyer

Default Bud nosen trainer

Originally Posted by bobsalmon
Thanx, I sent them email on Sat. I'm awaiting their reply.
Still, I need info. about that engine. The S.T. 3000 is weak.
Do you know where to get a 2-stroke glowglow power. engine in the 2.0 cu.in. range?
I'm checking around the net, but everything is 4-stroke or Gasoline driven. That makes the plane too nose heavy. I wish to stay with
I've got a ngh 35 rear exhaust on mine and love it. Flies great
Old 03-09-2020, 08:45 AM
evan-RCU

Originally Posted by N.C. Flyer
I've got a ngh 35 rear exhaust on mine and love it. Flies great
18 years later? And you are using a 35cc motor on something designed for 10cc? I built two and overpowered #2 with a .75 Super Tiger...