Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Dynaflight Decathalon

Old 09-13-2005, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynaflight Decathalon

I have a question. I am in the middle of building this model. It's a great kit. I have yet to make up my mind on which engine to use. I'd like to use 4 stroke over 2 and preferable a twin. It calls for a 4 stroke 1.2-1.6, 2 stroke 1.08-1.8, or gas 1.5-.21. On the dynaflight web site for the kit, the os gemini twin (1.6) was suggested. I called their tech support (dynaflight) and the guy said it would be underpowered with the gemini. I would also like to use smoke. The saito 1.82 td has 2 hp to the os's 2.0 for similar size and weight. It's a beautiful engine and is close to the same price. Any recommendations? If I can't go twin, I suppose I'd just go with the us engines 25. Any suggestions from anybody smarter and more informed than I am ( which is 99 % of you ) ? Thanks.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:31 PM
My Feedback: (43)

Default RE: Dynaflight Decathalon

I had one with a Saito 150 that flew it well. I had another with a Brison 2.4 which was the best combo. I know you mentioned four stroke, but the Brison 2.4 is the better matchup in my opinion. Hint...keep the tail light as possible!
Carroll
Old 09-13-2005, 09:08 PM
My Feedback: (98)

I have a FPE 2.4 in mine and it does a great job. Just like Carroll said, keep the tail light, even with the gas engine. My second choice would be a ZDZ 40.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:29 PM
My Feedback: (7)

I to have had a couple of these,the combo that I have found that works the best for me was the US 41.Just flip it and forget it.
Donnie
Old 09-22-2005, 04:43 PM
My Feedback: (14)

I too have a just completed Dynaflite Super Decathlon with a total of about ten flights on it. I powered mine with the US41 (2.5CI) that puts out 3 HP. Its got power to spare. I running the stock ignition (magneto) and it starts on the third flip every time. It has the built in spring starter that works great. I think the Saito and OS engines would use way too much model fuel to be practical. Gas is ONLY about 2.75 a gallon. Can't beat that!!!.
Good luck, whatever you decide...
Bob
Old 09-22-2005, 07:58 PM

Mine has been flying since March this year with a G38, 18X10 Wood MAS prop.I think this is a very good combination.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:35 PM
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll be finisheing mine for next spring. I'm flying at 4200' elevation--so it's gonna get a G-62

Gas is the only way to go on a plane this size.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:37 AM

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

I'll be finisheing mine for next spring. I'm flying at 4200' elevation--so it's gonna get a G-62

Gas is the only way to go on a plane this size.
It will be interesting to see if the cowl will fit. With my G38, the kit cowl required nearly all the bottom to be cut away, so I went with an aftermarket fiberglass cowl, which is a much better fit, but no extra space in there. Plus, the ground clearance will limit you to about an 18" prop, unless you customize some landing gear to give you more clearance to accommodate the larger prop a G62 will require. Sounds like an intersting project, please keep us informed how it goes.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:37 PM

I got custom gear from TNT. It's about 3.5" taller than the stock gear. Ordered a glass cowl and pants already. Not gonna be much left of the cowl. Using a Slimline wrap-around smoke muffler.

4 servos in the tail.[:-] 2 elevators servos, 1 rudder, and 1 for the tailwheel. RX and battery is gonna be at the rear portion of the cockpit. Fuel and smoke tanks on the CG. 20oz. fuel and 32oz. smoke

This should be a hoot to fly.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:10 AM

ORIGINAL: flying skunks

I to have had a couple of these,the combo that I have found that works the best for me was the US 41.Just flip it and forget it.
Donnie

Donnie I have a us41 that I blew the one way clutch and starter spring on. After replacing both pieces (which cost me a lot more than I thought it should) I cannot start with the spring starter. I wonder if my spring is faulty. If I crank back the spring 3/4 rev, it doesn't have enough spring to bring the prop through the compression. I can start it with an electric starter so I know the engine is fine.
Any advice...or have you had any problems with yours? The engine has a huge amount of compression......many times more than my twin 3w.

Just thought I would offer some info from a not so happy US engine owner.
In fact this is my second. The first also had the clutch and spring seize but I demanded Horizon replace the entire thing as it only had a couple tanks through it. New engine...same thing.[>:]

Lee
Old 09-29-2005, 01:25 PM

Quick question- it seems to me that everyone is so pro-gas that I'm not hearing any feedback on the glow options. Is the 1.82 Saito underpowered ? Is the price of glow fuel really that prohibitive that it would prevent me using it ? Would I get good aerobatic performance with glow ? ( remember I'm still learning, not that good yet. I don't need unlimited vertical ) I love the 4 stroke multi cylinder sound. I'm not complaining about the feedback, the views are very helpfull, but I just want to hear all of the options so as to make an informed decision, all the way around. Thanks
Old 09-29-2005, 07:18 PM

Glow will be much more expensive in the short and long run but the power/weight ratio is usually much better with glow. Of course once you go to engines above 40cc or so your into gas without the glow option.
I prefer gas because I've never done glow and feel lucky not to have to carry around all the gear.
As you mentioned too a large glow will burn up your wallet in fuel, but I agree the multi cylinder four strokers are fabulous. I would only consider buying one however if it were in an application that made the best of it visually. In an enclosed cowl it is a waste of money IMO.

Lee
Old 09-29-2005, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 16 lb. Nosen Citabria (1/4 scale with a 105" wingspan) and it flys very scale like at 1/3 throttle with a Saito 150. It will do all the scale type aerobatics with this engine.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:14 AM

Thanks for the glow comments - I really am still undecided, but the firewall construction is looming, so I've got to make the decision. The cowl will be closed - I believe. I'll have to measure it . I may be able to sacrifice some scale appearance to open it up a little more. The sound and smooth running benefits would still be enough of an advantage for me, even if I lost some of the visual appeal. Now, about the $ question. Up front cost is not what I am concerned about (well a little - a $400 - 500 gas vs. $600 for the twin) . I realize the difference in fuel cost per gallon, but this is how I would like someone with experience with both to present it to me- If I go out once or twice a week and run a couple of tanks (24 oz) though the plane, what will the cost per flight be? Sure it's $3 for gas, but am I going to burn a whole gallon at the field in one day? Probably not. If it costs me 50 cents for the day in gas vs. $3 for the same amount of glow fuel, then $2.50 extra once a week is not a big deal. I'm sure I'm off on the actual numbers, but is my logic close? Believe me, I do like gas ( that Brison 2.4 is beautiful ), but I'm trying to see every side of this. Thanks for all the comments so far, it's caused me to research avenues I hadn't thought of before.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:18 AM

There are other considerable costs to glow fuel engines that should be considered. I've never seen a glow pilot that didn't have a huge box full of glow plugs and other misc equipment. It seems they are quite often swiching out plugs and making adjustments much more so than one ever has to with gas in my experience. I would have to say that if you consider field gear (need twin glow drivers too), fuel, repair costs and such, you can expect that your glow experience will cost you double in every respect, maybe much worse. One other thing to consider is the fact that glow engines make a lousy mess of your aircraft. The larger the aircraft the more time your going to have to spend with the cleaner and paper towels. This is less of a problem with monocote but a Decathlon should be covered in fabric which brings up another consideration. I paint my fabric covered models with latex paint. It is cheap, easy to apply, doesn't smell and need not be fuel proof for gas engines. Can't use it with glow fuel though.

Sounds to me like you really want to get a multi cylinder glow. I agree twins are great and I have a couple 3w twin gassers. I love them however when you mentioned cutting the cowl of a Decathlon my heart sank. If you have to for clearance that's one thing, but if you do so just to show your multi glow that's a little backwords for me.

Anyway I'm sure you can tell what side of the fence I'm on so I won't beat a dead horse.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:23 AM

I'll beat that horse some more.

Just get a gasser for it. You'll NEVER look back. Once you get your first taste of a gas engine--you'll NEVER want to mess with a glow engine ever again.

Put any 35--45cc gas engine on it and set the needles. Fly it and forget the engine is even there.

For the record--the Saito 182 twin is about as powerful as a 150 or 160 single 4-stroke. More friction and rotating mass kills the performance. And the fuel mileage is still terrible.[:'(]

Why do you want to mess around with those silly rocker arms and valves clearences.[:-] It's just something to HASSLE with. It's something you have to fiddle with. I HATE fiddleing with engines.[:@] I want to FLY!!!

Your probably gonna have to use a remote glow starter--at the very least. If I was using a twin glow engine in a big and expensive scale plane--I'd use on-board glow. Thats just one more thing you gotta fuss and fiddle with.[:-]

Glow is a pain in the arse.[:'(][:'(][:'(] Especially a TWIN 4-stroke. YUK!!![:'(]

Get a gasser for it. You'll be happeir flying the plane instead of fiddleing with the engine.

I'm done. That horse is black and blue from head too hoof now.[&:]
Old 10-06-2005, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the gas info. I am leaning towards gas after the pummeling the glow took. On last glow question - The person that said the US41 was a great match - They quoted it's power at 3 bhp. Ok, it's weight is in the 75oz range. Now, how is that a good match, when the saito twin 1.82 has 2.8 bhp and weighs less than 37oz. Everyone keeps telling me the glow would be underpowered, but I don't see the discrepency between the 41 and the 1.82. The 1.82 has .2 bhp less, but weighs 2 lbs less. Do gas have more torque or what? I am just confused. I was always told that a horizontal twin would run smoother and have more torque. Someone de-confuse me please. Enough engine talk.

Next - how on earth do the wheel pants and cowl go together? I see some overlap areas to join the halves, but the cut lines are unclear. Anyone have pics of theirs in progress. Also, how and where did you do the glass reinforcement. I know how to work with glass, but some guidance is helpfull. Are the fiberglass specialties cowl and pants one piece? Thanks guys, for the assistance. Oh, last question. Can I mount the firewall without the engine mount. Seem like I should be able to drill and place the blind nuts easily enough later.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To add to the Glow Side. I have a Magnum 160 Twin in the nose of mine. Flies it great, and the sound is unreal. More than enough power to pull her around.

Jim
Old 10-07-2005, 12:04 PM

gball,

Quadra 42 in mine. The engine weight will be moot because you are going to need it for balance. My Quadra was not enough. It is more accurate to judge engine power by how fast it will turn a specific prop. My Q42 and US41 will turn a Zinger 18x10 at about 72-7400 rpm static. What will the Saito do? Enough engine talk.

Sorry, I think the cowl and pants are crap. I did use them though because they were 'free' and I wanted to try them. I glassed up the seams, all exposed edges, anywhere that looked like it needed it, and with a 1/32" A/C ply doubler about 1" round under each mounting screw. The cowl is still very weak in one direction of flex and has cracked in many places.

I mounted the Quadra directly to the firewall without the supplied gas motor mount. Put the prop hub at about the right spot as I remember.

Have fun!

Bedford
Old 10-07-2005, 06:34 PM

check to make sure that the spring or the one-way bearing is not bound up in any way.
Donnie
Old 10-07-2005, 06:41 PM

on the US41 we were running an 18-6w APC,it would turn 9000 static,unlimited vertical.The great thing abuot this plane is that we would fly in formation flying the IMAC routine,but at the end of the routine we would always finish up with a BLENDER,low inverted pass,then land all in formation.
Donnie
Old 12-08-2007, 11:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kinda old thread...is there a new thread on this plane? Thanks Capt,c
Old 12-08-2007, 12:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what I found and have followed till Oct.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_22...cathlon/tm.htm

JimO