Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Sierra Precision Gear

Old 11-14-2005, 05:21 AM
Potawatomi13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sierra Precision Gear

I've gotten some negative feedback about Sierra Precision delayed delivery and dishonesty about it and would like to know honestly how these folks are to deal with?

Please, pull NO punches. I don't want to waste my money on lackluster suppliers.[:'(]
Old 11-14-2005, 05:48 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Sierra Precision Gear

I bought some parts from him to upgrade my P-51 Robart gear and it was one of the most POSITIVE buying experiences I have had in the Hobby.

I know there was a problem a couple of years ago with guys paying up front for Corsair gear that was not even in production yet - I have seen adds for people to PRE ORDER and I avoid these like the plague, it sometimes turns nasty. If it ain't made yet, I don't need it, IMHO.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:28 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

I'd have to agree. Years ago I spoke to Darrell about some gear that were not in stock, and although he said he thought they would be made within the year, they weren't. However, when I ordered some of his servo mounts, they were in stock and shipped immediately, with a nice note enclosed saying to pay if I liked them! No money up front. So my direct experience has been that if he has the parts, he is fantastic to do business with.
Sam
Oh and I almost forgot to add, the workmanship and quality is first class!
Old 11-14-2005, 09:55 AM
Shadow-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Potawatomi:

Just purchased a non-retractable nose gear for a 100" Piper Tomahawk from Darrell. I believe it is the same one he sells for the Hanger 9 Cessna 182. The gear is great!! Way over engineered for what I need it for. Has brass bushings, the spring weight is adjustable to match the weight of the plane, the length is adjustable, the fork is replaceable if you want to use a different size wheel and it is made out of some real heavy duty aluminum tubing. Darrell sent it to me with an invoice and I paid him after I received it. I got the impression this is the way he does business for items that are not special order. The only problem was I had to call him twice to get the item sent to me. He said he was doing a special order and had not sent my strut. Since I was not in a hurry it wan't a problem. If you need a gear in short order you may have to bug him to get it. Hope this helps.

Randy

PS:

Aren't Potawatomi Indians from the Midwest?
Old 11-14-2005, 11:49 PM
lewdfinger

He's had a set of Mammoth T-28 gear "almost ready" for me for about 2 years now. I call him every quarter to remind him, but no gear so far. It's no big deal since I'm usually busy with something else, but I'd be a little choked if I was in a hurry. Always pleasant to talk with and obviously knows his stuff.

KD
Old 11-15-2005, 08:30 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two locals just recieved gear from him with no problems. One for the CompARF P-51 and another for the Vailly Hurricane.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:11 PM
RK-Aircraft
My Feedback: (81)

Also, Darrell is heavily involved in supplying UAV landing gear for full scale aircraft and I think he works alone. Just keep reminding him. When he answers the phone some of you may have noticed that he sounds a little shell-shocked.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:37 AM
razorback11
My Feedback: (9)

I just ordered all the goodies I need for the Comp-ARF P-51 from Darrel and he took the time to explain why his products were a bit different than those manufactured by others. He did not bash anyone else's products, just pointed out where his main gear, tail wheel retract, spinner, gear door rams, etc. just went an extra step or two to provide quality and good working order all the time (a bit more money but you know what they say about the price of quality!). The stuff showed up on my doorstep in 5 days (granted....he tries to keep the parts for that bird in stock) and I have to tell you the workmanship is absolutely first rate. I think problems may occur when you need custom gear...quickly. He is a very busy man...many of the scale competition guys are ordering gear from him and need them in time for the scale meets. So your project may get bumped while he gets products to those guys first. Bottom line, I heard he made the best product you can buy, he was great to talk to, and he provided exactly what he said he would in minimum time. I wish all vendors in this hobby could do the same. Myself---I will not hesitate to order from him again. razorback11
Old 11-03-2006, 06:43 PM
flyboys rc
My Feedback: (178)

ok guys,i keep hearing about darrell and sierra percision gear,whats his phone #,e-mail,i just purchased a comp-arf p-51 and could use some good retracts,thanks steve,[email protected]
Old 11-04-2006, 04:09 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.sierragiant.com/