Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Byron Chrisian Husky Information

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Byron Chrisian Husky Information

Old 11-07-2002, 10:55 PM
GSAV8R
My Feedback: (79)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Byron Chrisian Husky Information

Can anyone tell me the approximate cost of a new kit when they were still on the market?

Also, what size engine was recommended? Thanks.
Old 11-09-2002, 12:12 AM
gary9648
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Byron Husky

The Husky Kit ran about $800.00 and the engine recomended was a Super Tiger 2500. I built one for a friend who put a OS Pegasus 320 four cyl. engine in it. It flew very scale like. A Mokie 1.8 would really give it zip. The plane weighed about twenty pounds, but with that hudge wing flew effortlessly. Good scale out line.
Old 11-10-2002, 09:56 PM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

IronBay is making the kit again.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:16 AM
gary9648

Not at this time, but they can make glass parts for it. and all of the strut and landing gear parts. I am sure they could make some of the wood parts if needed. John and AAron at Iron Bay will bend over backwards to help anyone get one of there birds back into the air. I am now looking forward to building one of there T-28's
See you at the giant scale fly-ins.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:27 AM
Radioflyer-RCU

Default byron Husky

I have been flying a Byron Husky for three years. The wings have been glassed and painted so it is as heavy a combination as you will find. I flew it with a Super Tiger 3000 at first and then decided I wanted a four stroke in it. I flew it for two years with a YS120 four stroke and it performed better. Due to the cost of fuel I have purchased a G-38 gas engine for it. I haven't flown it with the G38, however I beleive that it will be comparable to or better than the Super Tiger 3000. I had to add quite a bit of weight in the nose to balance the plane with the previous motors. It looks like it will balance with out additional weight at either end with the G38. Have fun with the Husky. Dave O.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:15 AM
GSAV8R
My Feedback: (79)

Default Husky Information

Thanks for all the response.
Old 11-13-2002, 02:18 PM
gary9648

you will love flying your Husky. The wings are a little labor intensive, but the rest of the project is very easy. Don't forget to sand the inside of the fuse with 40-80 grit sandpaper where ever you will glue a former in. then clean area with white vinigar to remove all parting residue. I use a simple hot melt glue gun to tack in the formers, which holds them in place (formers) while glassing them in and will fill the voids between the fuse and formers. Make sure you use polester resin and not epoxy to glass formers to the fuse. Epoxy will not adhere as well.
Let me know how it is going. If you haveany more questions you can e-mail me at [email protected]
Old 09-25-2003, 01:17 AM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

Default RE: byron Husky

If anyone knows of a Husky for sale please let me know.

Thanks,
Old 10-20-2004, 11:02 AM
skrez
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Byron Chrisian Husky Information

Hello Folks,
I purchased a already completed Byron Husky from a buddy who got it in a estste sale. It had am old AM receiver in it, so I guess it was built before 1990. It is equippped with a (like new condition ) Supertiger2000 motor. I balanced the model at 25% of the wing and had to add 5LBS. OF WT. TO THE NOSE!!! The plane now is at about 22lbs. Has anyone ever had to add that much wt. to the nose of their Husky??
thanks,
Frank
Old 10-20-2004, 11:04 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Id probably get the recomended CG measurement before trying to fly it.

Im thinking about putting a DA50 in mine
Old 10-31-2004, 08:52 AM
Spychalla Aircraft
My Feedback: (34)

I obtained a Byron Husky in a barter for helping someone. The plane looked great but flew terrible. I don't know what the builder had done to make an airplane fly this bad. I added about 3 lbs. of lead to the nose and tried everything I could to get that plane to fly well. Nothing could help it. The plane would not fly slow at all. It would stall and snap when it should have been a floater like a cub. I was thinking of selling it. Maybe somebody else could figure it out. Finally it died so I burned it so that nobody else would have to suffer this particular airplane. See my link to a word document that shows the whole fiasco.

It is called "40 Minutes In the Life of A Husky". You'll get a kick out of it.

Leo

[link]http://www.globaldialog.com/~spikes/[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82609.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	188393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83141.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	188394  
Old 10-31-2004, 09:54 AM
gary9648

I'm sorry yours would not fly. the one I built flew very well. From the photo it looks like the wings had wash in instead of wash out at the tips. this could cause it to tip stall even when CG was correct. hope your next project fairs better. Whom did you by this one from?
Old 11-01-2004, 01:03 PM
Spychalla Aircraft
My Feedback: (34)

That very well could have been the problem. That and heavy building working together to make poor flying plane. I never had it around long enough to find out.

The builder is not important. He is out of the hobby and that is acutally how I acquired this plane by helping him sell all his other stuff on Ebay.

Leo
Old 11-01-2004, 02:50 PM
Birddog-RCU

I've had two Huskies. The first one flew great (pilot had a brain fart and dorked it into the very firm earth) and the second one got destroyed in shipping which was fortunate because the building done by a "professional builder" was some of the worst I've seen. As I'm not financially comfortable enough to even appear to slander anyone, I won't publish his name. I just consider it a crash that happened before it got to fly.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:20 PM
HvyDrvr

I have two of them flying and another in the box to be built this winter. They fly great, but get them to slow and they will snap. Also need to be gentle when adding throttle, especially when using larger four strokes for power. I have an OS 320 in one on floats. Hardly ever get much above 1/2 throttle, even on take off. Alan, I thought that you had another on the building board last year? I remember the problems you talked about with the "pro builder". Bummer.

Rod
Old 04-19-2010, 01:39 PM
oldplanes

I have a Byron Husky that has flown great for 10+ years, the original builder outfitted it with a Quadra 35 which I continue to fly it with although I have gone through several of these engines. I would like to have another one, or perhaps just another fuselage if someone out there has one they are looking to sell. I would like to set another one up with floats and a more modern 40cc 2-stroke.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Birddog-RCU

Set up a key word in the classifieds on RCU. They poke up now and then. You might even post a WANTED ad. Good luck!