Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Professionally built!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 10:41 PM
Ryans Rebel
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Professionally built!

What is up with all of the models for sale that have been "professionally built"? I'm starting to chuckle each time I read that in an add.

Ryan
Old 11-14-2005, 10:56 PM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Professionally built!

I may be missing something but I have always heard that if you received payment for any thing you did, or produced, you were a professional. I guss that makes everbody a professional. Or...at least be able to make the claim to be.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:56 PM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

Yeah, It doesn't really mean anything to me.
I guess technically anytime you pay any kind of fee to someone to build a plane, that plane is then professionally built.
I'm sure there are lots of "professionals" that have poor building skils.

Jim
Old 11-14-2005, 11:27 PM
Bob Laine

Hey Guy's........The statement above was written by one of, no make that "The best Builder" I have ever met in my 45 yrs in this hobby. If you ever have an oportunity buy one of the planes Jim, built, Here are a few things you can be sure of. He is "Peerless" when it comes to building a airplane. The reason being is because he never uses anything but the best componnets, in the best aircraft. You'll get your money's worth, But you'll pay for it. Remember the name "Hammbone." 1st class all the way.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:31 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

Would you rather one put together by someone who doesnt know anything? If buying a plane I wouldnt mind knowing it was built by AJ Lee, Brian Huff., etc
Old 11-14-2005, 11:34 PM
Bob Laine

I don't get the intent of you post?
Old 11-14-2005, 11:41 PM
flyinrazrback

I mean a pro builder means different things to different people. Would you rather have a plane put together by someone who doesnt know what they are doing, or a professional (which is a widely used term). If professional means someone who does it solely for a living, there are not many out there, or it could be someone who does it in their part time, but still for hire, etc. If someone says their airplane was built by a pro builder, I always ask who it was, and if I have not heard of them, ask for references. To make it understandable, if a plane is pro built by a reputable guy with pristine building skills, I am more likely to buy it than a plane built by Joe Blow who built it in his basement while chugging down beers lol. I too have seen planes for sale in person, who said it was built by a professional, and I asked them "a professional at what?"
Old 11-14-2005, 11:52 PM
flyinrazrback

PS, on the same subject, there are only 2-3 people I would trust to build a plane for me, especially from the kit up, Carroll, you listening?
Old 11-15-2005, 12:19 AM
Bob Laine

Now I get what you mean. Put me on the list as a buyer of professionally built planes. To some he gave money, to others he gave the ability to earn money. I choose to let the others, earn my money.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:24 AM
flyinrazrback

I am very picky, and the level of building I demand I am unable to do, that and the fact that my time is worth more than money (I would rather fly than build). I agree not all "professional builders" are the same, but its like that in every profession, ie, would you rather have a surgeon from an ivy league school, or a surgeon from a deep south college who learned surgery by skinning deer lol.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:06 AM
jsm77777
My Feedback: (4)

I have never seen a "prfessionally" framed up airplane done any better than what I do. As a matter of fact, I have seen some terrible stuff, pawned off as professional. There are only a few guys out there, that really do great work, and worth the money. For me, I'll keep doing it myself. Scott
Old 11-15-2005, 08:17 AM
Bob Laine

I see you've been looking at some of the planes I've built. Congradulations on being a good builder.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:06 AM
mu2driver
My Feedback: (15)

Alot of patting on the back eh?

I could name a few people that do nice work, I really dont think you can top this Carden DSP built...but maybe

except for a Brian Huff built...

As far as Pro builders,Tony Ruso, Dave Stoik, Mark Trent, Keven Miller...just to name a few, all good builders all can be considerd Pro...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14658.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	354719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw70870.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	354720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54098.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	354721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88614.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	354722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq90331.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	354723  
Old 11-15-2005, 09:15 AM
geardaddy
My Feedback: (27)

Is it possible to make a modest living at model building?
Old 11-15-2005, 09:29 AM
Ricmussman
My Feedback: (24)

That's "Bling Bling" That plane is amazing! I would be suprised if there is any plane out there with that much attention to detail built into it. I love to build, but have no where the ability of DSP. I have been sharing a lot of time with Jim Short, he too is a top notch builder. Hope I can emulate some to the great things that I have seen out there into my Winter build of my 35% Hurley.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:29 AM
mu2driver

ORIGINAL: geardaddy

Is it possible to make a modest living at model building?
Yes and no, Ive been doing it for 1 year, i've made aprox 6 grand from it working part time...Im a Pro at Composite-Arf assembling..Im Clean, Fast and as long as Im supplied with the Parts when I need them, Im on it until its complete...if Im delayed I get pissed and burn out quick...and go onto the next one..I make sure people understand they need to get me everything up front, I will not buy anything no matter how small "mainly because we dont have a hobby shop in town" so its just as easy for the customer to send it..

If your building Kits a frame up will be Kit price, covering an extra G...

If you're fast and good you will get customers lining up at your door and you'll make money...

Name:	Nl31161.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	354740  
Old 11-15-2005, 09:31 AM
mu2driver

ORIGINAL: Ricmussman

That's "Bling Bling" That plane is amazing! I would be suprised if there is any plane out there with that much attention to detail built into it. I love to build, but have no where the ability of DSP. I have been sharing a lot of time with Jim Short, he too is a top notch builder. Hope I can emulate some to the great things that I have seen out there into my Winter build of my 35% Hurley.
Yes that is the standard of Bling to which all things are measured...I try to bling out the Comp-arfs...
Old 11-15-2005, 09:34 AM
matus777

hmmmm....are ARF's professionally built? (ok sorry)
Old 11-15-2005, 09:42 AM
mu2driver

ORIGINAL: matus777

hmmmm....are ARF's professionally built? (ok sorry)
Well Yes and No, Nobody within reason can Scratch Build a Composite plane...period...so No they are not Pro built but as I mentioned they can be PRO assembled..

Name:	Vt58420.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	354741  
Old 11-15-2005, 09:44 AM
mu2driver

I think the guy in Mexico is the only one in recent time that has attempted that task...
Old 11-15-2005, 09:51 AM
Bob Laine

I'll only add this to this thread. Unless you've been to the "Scale Masters"......You really havn't seen "attention" to detail, and building. Building a, Scale Aerobatic aircraft, is like building a Avistar, when compared to the likes of a Dave Platt military aircraft. So much more to do. If this statement don't get this thread "JUMP STARTED," nothing will.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:58 AM
mu2driver

ORIGINAL: Bob Laine

I'll only add this to this thread. Unless you've been to the "Scale Masters"......You really havn't seen "attention" to detail, and building. Building a, Scale Aerobatic aircraft, is like building a Avistar, when compared to the likes of a Dave Platt military aircraft. So much more to do. If this statement don't get this thread "JUMP STARTED," nothing will.
Yes Ive been to the Scale Masters, I'll agree that the majority of planes are works of art, but I will also add the majority of then fly like Crap!!!

But true the GS planes are straight forward...
Old 11-15-2005, 09:59 AM
Bob Laine

mu2driver........ Very true
Old 11-15-2005, 10:00 AM
B Shipp
My Feedback: (13)

It seems to me if you really want a professionally built aircraft you would look to the companies that offer such services. On the east coast I use a couple of companies to build R/C aircraft for component demonstrations. These companies employ true craftsmen. If I wanted a 85'' P-51 with all the rivets and scale hinges, it is finished to these specifications. The pictures/drawings from the full scale are used to replicate the model. If I needed a built up (wood kit) of a 30% Extra 330 that weights 17 Lbs, it to will be fabricated to my specifications. The down side of this is the cost. The P-51 would cost me 25 to 30K, the Extra would cost 15 to 20K. Granted this level of effort is for a business purposes, it does show what money can buy, from a professional.

On the other hand, when a great R/C model airplane builder can fabricate a kit for you, and your satisfied, why would it matter if he is a professional........

Brian-
Old 11-15-2005, 10:04 AM
mu2driver

BShipp good points, its just amazing what money can buy, just about everything execpt the talant required to fly them...

Just last month in the AMA mag there was that artical about the Howard Hughes movie project...very impressive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.