Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

GiantScalePlanes - again

Old 01-16-2002, 08:12 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GiantScalePlanes - again

There's usually controversy when people post about this company's products/service. Since I'm working on their 35% Edge, and I've been flying their 30% Staud for 2 years, I thought I'd post my experiences.

30% Staud: I put up a comprehensive review at http://members.dca.net/mcquaide. Bottom line - the plane was built straight and strong. Good value. Heavy by IMAC standards but a good flyer and great to learn on, as it has no bad habits. Gets a lot of compliments at the field. Design 'borrowed' from the Aerocraft Staud.

35% Edge: Quite a different story.

On the plus side: Nice, very light design, typical ply fuse sides and integrated motor box. Light fiberglass gear. Nice wood quality. Lots of lightening holes. Good work on the sheeted foam parts. Light cored foam turtledeck. Nice fiberglass servo wire channels in wings/stabs. Stabs mount on an aluminum tube, making it possible to make them removeable.

On the minus side: Build quality is horrific - someone in China had a bad day the day this one was built, and there apparently is no QC inspection before they sell them. The firewall was installed crooked; I had to rebuild the whole motor box. Turns out this wasn't difficult, as it pulled apart with my bare hands with no damage to the fuse sides. The motorbox needed mods anyway to clear the muffler.

The whole rear fuselage was seriously curved. I had to tear it apart (again not hard to do), saw the fin away from the turtledeck, glue them back together straight, rip out/reinstall the last two fuse formers, and then rebuild. I now have a straight, strong fuse, but it took a lot of work to get there.

There were two different size wheel pants in the kit; H&H replaced them. One leg of the landing gear extends 1" further at the bottom than the other (doesn't matter, but you have to drill the axle holes in the right places to make the plane sit level). Canopy is kind of ripply. No instructions/plans to show how far the spinner backplate should be from the firewall. Some of the fuse bottom sanding looks like they used a meat cleaver on it.

Finally, the plane isn't scale. It has the outline of the 540 with a two-place canopy like the "T" - sort of a hybrid.

Having said all that, it looks like I'll end up with a decent plane in the end. Build quality is where they fell down, and I was able to correct all that. For the price, (I only paid $500) it'll probably end up being worth it, believe it or not.

Bottom line, I wouldn't buy another one of these without giving it an up-close-and-personal inspection with a straight edge.

For those that are interested it will have a Q100B for power, NiMH batts, futaba rec, Hitec digitals all around with a Nelson pull-pull system (arm, bellcrank, horn, cables).

Mark
Old 01-18-2002, 02:43 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Scale Planes Decathlon

Hi Mark, or anyone with experience with this:

I've been eyeing the Giant Scale Planes Decathlon as a choice for a sunday flyer for me. I already have the Carden Extra 300 and the Ohio Ultimate, so I wanted something easy and relaxing to fly.

The make an ARC of this one, as well as an ARF is going to be coming in the near future, certainly by the WRAM show. Any experience with this model, and its quality?

I've read mixed reviews and the bad says its not built well and it will fall apart. I'm interested in hearing anything about this, from the way it flies, to the way it comes together, and if its heavy or a good plane all together.

The price seems high, $450 for the ARF and then $600 for the ARF or so (to me I guess), and, for that price I'm thinking it should be better quality than what I read about it in the past. Hanger 9 makes the Taylor Craft now for about $339, so, that price seems more appealing and the plane seems to be about the same size, meaning good enough to fly with a g23 at a minimum, a g38 or a BME 44 or so.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

-=>Raja.