Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

1/4 Scale J3 CUB which is best???

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

1/4 Scale J3 CUB which is best???

Old 12-26-2005, 09:04 AM
dove57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 Scale J3 CUB which is best???

Hi, With many designs of the J3 CUB out there,I'd like to know which 1/4 Scale version is the best from
available plans or kits , not the ARF's thanks

dove
Old 12-26-2005, 01:40 PM
CUB1
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: 1/4 Scale J3 CUB which is best???

dove,
I like the Sig 1/4 Scale kit, it comes out light and it is a good flier.
I have the clip wing version with a OS 1.60 twin. The plane is about 13 years old.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:16 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

I'd have to second the above post regarding Sig. Good kit, been around a long time. BUSA also makes a good 1/4 scale Cub, and I like the way the center section and wings are made a little better. The Sig's wing is two piece, but the center section is part of one wing; you put the wing 'halves' together, and then use wing bolts to attach the wing to the fuse.

With the BUSA kit, the center section is part of the fuselage, and each wing half fits on dowels that stick out of the center section at the roots, and the wing halves fit on them, and are held on by screws inside the cabin; it's a cleaner attachment, looks better IMO, and if you want to modify the plane to make it an L-4, it's easier to do. Can't go wrong with either one, though.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:08 PM
T. Bob
My Feedback: (9)

I know this is against everything I stand for regarding people answering an unasked questions BUT, I saw an article lately on how someone bought a Dave Patrick ARF Cub, they recovered it and did some significant modifications and it looked great. I know you only asked for kits and I'm sorry to add and ARF into this thread but the plane looked great and with the modifications it was very original looking.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:04 PM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

I have the Sig 1/4 scale in the clipped wing version. It is in the que for this winter sometime. Looks like a nice kit to me, lots of building to do but then that's why I build kits.

JEB
Old 01-01-2006, 06:48 AM
Stickbuilder

Well, here I go again...The Sig kit is a great flyer, but the Balsa USA kit is more labor intensive, flies better, (given equal power), and has more scale fidelity. (it's not a real bear to build just requires more attention to detail) I've done several of both. I hate to start another one, but I will in all likelyhood do the BUSA kit with another OS 120 (non pump) for power again. I'll use Koverall and dope again. (looks right) (iron on never does) For what it's worth.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:10 PM
BigBird1
My Feedback: (4)

A BUSA Cub will fly great with a Saito 180...or a G38..(as in hover)..is more labor intensive...BUT well worth the effort..the wing bolts are a PITB..and the eyelets for the cabin braces need to be exchanged from the cad plated copper ones to steel..(they break).

BB1
Old 01-02-2006, 08:08 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

basabandit,

Do you have a reliable sorce for the Koverall? Sig is out of stock and keeps moving the delivery date back.

Thanks

JEB[&o]
Old 01-22-2006, 03:41 PM
gcb069

I need help my farther inlaw gave me a 1/4 cub (he said B-USA) but i don't know if it a Sig or B-USA its about 20 years old with a ST S90 on it. He made the wing one peace but they bolt on with center. Looks like the wing joint is on the right side of center. if its a Sig i need the point of C/G

Thanks Glenn[>:]
Old 01-23-2006, 02:45 PM
CUB1
My Feedback: (11)

Glenn,
Sounds like you have a full winged Sig 1/4 scale Cub. The CG is on the main spar....you will be able to fell the the main spar right before the open bays of the wing.

ORIGINAL: gcb069

I need help my farther inlaw gave me a 1/4 cub (he said B-USA) but i don't know if it a Sig or B-USA its about 20 years old with a ST S90 on it. He made the wing one peace but they bolt on with center. Looks like the wing joint is on the right side of center. if its a Sig i need the point of C/G

Thanks Glenn[>:]
Old 01-25-2006, 02:18 PM
Troy540p

I'm building the BUSA. the plans and instructions make you think,But all around its a good kit. I've got robart gear going on scale interior and going to cover with WWW.stits.com covering and paint.

Buy the BUSA My 2cents

Good luck

Troy