Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

AT-6 What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 09:00 PM
shepp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AT-6 What do you think?

I posted this question on the warbird forum but did not get much in the way of reply. So let's see what you guys think.

Model, Yellow Aircraft AT-6 completely finished in " Flite Metal", a Christmas present from my wife.
Engine, Fuji 64cc Turning a zinger 22x10 at 6200 rpm,= 20 lbs thrust, measured on my digital fish scale, checked again today with a zinger 22x8 at 7200 rpm and 24 lbs thrust. I realize " thrust-calc" gives a much higher thrust figure but this is what my scale shows
weight (are you ready for this) 35 pounds
wingspan 101'' aproximate area 1400 sq inches this figures out aprox, 55 0z/ sq. ft.

Now the question.
How do you guys think it will fly?
I have several models that weigh 20 plus pounds and load in the 30-40 oz/sq.ft range, but I have never flown anything this heavy or heavily wing loaded. I really don't want to trash this Christmas present on it's first flight. I am used to "hot" landings and am very aware of " sink rate" but I am still a bit concerned. The model was built by a master builder and is really beautiful. By the way, did I mention I have a super wife?

Let me hear from some of you that have flown models of this size and weight.

Thanks
Shepp
Old 01-28-2006, 10:17 PM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

Default RE: AT-6 What do you think?

Where and when are you going to fly that monster? I want to come check it out. My sister owns a couple full scale T-6's. I've been thinking about modelling one of them.
Is it 35 lbs dry or w/ fuel. I think it will fly ok. There is a big difference in static thrust and dynamic thrust.
I've seen 40 lb jets fly on 28-30 lb thrust. I know, not exactly the same thing, but it should do ok.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:08 AM
shepp

Randy,
I plan to fly it when the weather is decent. Probably at the Springfield club's field in Coopertown. BTW, this is the one that was hanging at Danielle's. Benny built it.

Shepp
Old 01-29-2006, 03:18 PM
Randy M.

cool, that is an awesome looking plane. Benny did a nice job on that one. Is that the club at exit 19 off 24? I flew there at the night fly last fall. Nice place.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:52 PM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

The warbirds tend to come out heavier than other types- if you are used to the wing loading on an IMAC plane of similar size you'll find that these are birds of a different feather, so to speak.

I would guess that 35lbs is a bit on the high side but not way out of wack- I haven't seen a lot of them but those that I have have been in 28-32lb range.

You'll probably be pleasantly surprised at how well it will fly. Use the flaps and "fly it right down to the ground" when landing- with some power on and landing on the mains. Don't try to flair it out and do a nice slow three point landing like you would do with your IMAC or sport planes- it will drop a wing on you and you won't have the airspeed to recover.

The T-6, with its close main gears, can be tricky to land. See if you can get some advice with someone who has flown one before. I got one in primer in my basement- my first warbird and also a present from my wife (ain't it great!) - so I'll be in the same boat as you.

Dave
Old 01-29-2006, 10:13 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: DMichael

The warbirds tend to come out heavier than other types- if you are used to the wing loading on an IMAC plane of similar size you'll find that these are birds of a different feather, so to speak.

I would guess that 35lbs is a bit on the high side but not way out of wack- I haven't seen a lot of them but those that I have have been in 28-32lb range.

You'll probably be pleasantly surprised at how well it will fly. Use the flaps and "fly it right down to the ground" when landing- with some power on and landing on the mains. Don't try to flair it out and do a nice slow three point landing like you would do with your IMAC or sport planes- it will drop a wing on you and you won't have the airspeed to recover.

The T-6, with its close main gears, can be tricky to land. See if you can get some advice with someone who has flown one before. I got one in primer in my basement- my first warbird and also a present from my wife (ain't it great!) - so I'll be in the same boat as you.

Dave

This thread is useless without pictures!
Old 01-31-2006, 02:16 PM
Chip_Mull
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It'll fly fine at 35 pounds. You WILL have to fly it and not treat it like a model. There were 30 pound T-6 racers flown in competition. They weren't exactly competitive but they flew fine. Keep your speed up in the turns and fly it to the ground, Just like any other T-6. Don't try for a full stall landing and release the stick on touch down or it will bounce.

Where do you guys get such wives??!!
Old 01-31-2006, 03:36 PM
FliteMetal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Shepp:

Should actually land and take off smoother at that weight. One of the issues with piloting the T6 is people try to make a long final instead of simply landing the plane. Some people lay it down on three points, however you get a 6 down without bouncing is a good way to do it

You need to post those pretty Flite-Metal pix so everyone can see the good job you did.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:15 PM
shepp

In answer to Ed's and Mstro's request here are a couple photos of my Christmas present. I wish I could say that I built the AT-6 but the wife purchased it completely built and finished. All I did was install the radio gear and setup. By the way the photo of the Stearman with the OS radial was last years present. Did I mention, I have a super wife?

Shepp
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26636.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	400662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27468.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	400663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71201.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	400664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp38725.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	400665  
Old 02-02-2006, 09:37 PM
Randy M.

That's quite a hangar you have. Very nice.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:21 AM
RCHYFLYER

Can I ask what you are using for the straps? I want to hang my plane too but I have a drop ceiling I will have to work with.I will must likely hook to the floor joist then run chain or strap through the ceiling tile. I dont think those plant hangers they make will be strong enough to hold up a ten pound plane.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:20 AM
shepp

You asked about the hanging straps. Most are "transmitter neck straps" I picked up several at Toledo a couple of years ago. The strap on the AT-6 is 1" nylon webbing purchased from Ace Hardware. I forget what it cost but not very expensive. I used my wife's old sewing machine to sew it together. I have the AT-6 on a hoist using a couple of sheaves and cleats also purhcased at Ace. I just couldn't see myself climbing a ladder with a 35 lb model in my hand. :^). Some of my models hang over my Antique cars and I really don't want any "Accidents" Sounds funny, but I don't worry about the model near as much as I do the damage they would do the the Antiques below .

By the way, I can't say enough nice things about the "Flite-Metal" finish. It is truly fantastic. I have ordered a piece to repair some "hangar rash" and to experiment with. As you can see, I need another model about like I need another hole in my head but now I want to build a 'Warbird" just to use the Flite-Metal finish.

Shepp
Old 02-03-2006, 10:39 AM
RCHYFLYER

Thank you and I forgot to tell you how awesome I thought the AT6 looks nice ship good luck with it!
Old 02-03-2006, 02:15 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: shepp

Did I mention, I have a super wife?

Shepp
LUCKY SON OF A...never mind!
Old 02-07-2006, 12:05 AM
MarksLHS

Hi Shepp,
I think that you are going to be pleasantly surprised how well your T-6 flies. I own an Iron Bay (Byron) AT-6 with a PPG basecoat/clearcoat automotive finish. No it wasn't a present from my super wife, but I did not build it either. This airplane was also built by master builder,mechanical engineer and friend of mine Anthony Hallo. Tony built me a fantastic machine with the following. Engine, Zenoah G-62cc, swinging a zinger 22x10 prop at about 6700-6800 rpm. The weight is right in there at 33 to 35 lbs. I also have a Yellow Aircraft AT-6 on the bench and the dimensions of these two models is almost exact. I have 22 successful flights on it. I fly it at half throttle. it cruises along like it is on rails. You will be surprised at how stable it flies at slow speeds especially with flaps deployed. On landing I use full flap (about 45 degree) or 50%. I carry just a little power and hold her off as long as you can and it should set down nice and soft. If you try and land it to hot she will probably bounce on you. I have landed it faster two wheel landing but I prefer the slower approach, easier on the gear. Be prepared for a work out when you bring this bird to the field. After you wrestle with that airplane it starts to feel like 70lbs! Hope you don't have a bad back? BTW Great hangar. Those are some beautiful Christmas presents. Is the P-40 a Yellow Aircraft also? Funny thing I have a Yellow Aircraft P-40 looks just like your's, with the # 47 and the sharks teeth! It has a First Place 4.2 cu. in. I haven't flown it yet. Don't think I will be doing any slow fly bye's with gear and flaps down like with the Texan. This plane is heavy too. I didn't weigh it yet. How about yours? Has it flown? Have any tippers?

Regards.....

Mark

Old 02-07-2006, 10:15 AM
shepp

Mark,
Thanks for the encouragement. Hopefully I will get to fly it soon. Weather here is a bit nasty for much flying.
By the way, the P-40 in the hangar photo is one of the Hangar 9 ARFs. Powered by OS FS 91. It has one of Kelvin's (kelo-creations) scale exhaust systems. It flys very nice, about like you might expect from a sport 60. It does have a tendency to tip on its nose during taxi.
Knowing what I know now, if I were building a Yellow Aircraft AT-6, I would do everything I could to keep the tail light. With the texan's short nose, a little bit of excess weight in the tail makes for a lot on the nose. The CG location is probably close to 4:1 or better, so 1 oz in the tail = 4 oz in the nose to balance. I believe that with some careful work, this model could be brought in around 30 lbs. My Fuji 64 gets about the same rpm as your zenoah 62, however I get several more rpm with a 22x8 and nearly 4 lbs more static thrust.

Good luck with your Yellow AT-6, I will post again once I have flown it.

Shepp
Old 05-15-2006, 08:49 PM
shepp

Mark and others,
Well, I asked what you thought about a 35 lb Texan and got several replys. Today I found out for myself. It flys fine. Take off weight 37 lbs, Fuji 64 CC turning a 22x8 Zinger at 7000 rpm. Aprox 10 degrees flaps for takeoff and absolutely no problems. Slows down nicely with full flaps. I programed in about 1/8 " down elevator with full flaps and it was just about right , with no tendency to balloon with all the flaps in. Great flight.
So now I know. You guys that fly the biguns know best.

Old 05-15-2006, 10:05 PM
Randy M.

Great to hear. You flew today? You must have had about a 15 min window with all this rain in and out.
Glad to hear of the success.