Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Giantscaleplanes.com edge 540 103" wing span

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Giantscaleplanes.com edge 540 103" wing span

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 01:27 AM
Buz_Bo
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giantscaleplanes.com edge 540 103" wing span

Does anyone have any input on this model from giant scale. You can buy the arf version for under 900.00.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	39449_16709.gif
Views:	19
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	24601  
Old 12-06-2002, 01:43 AM
Andrew_S
My Feedback: (12)

Default gsp

i know i called them to order one of their 96 inch arcs... I was all set to order it until I called them......Problem 1, the person on the phone pretty rude, didnt get his name....And problem 2, problem number 1 told me 150.00 bucks to ship it to south carolina, so I ordered 35 % lanier giles from tower hobbies for 339. and 7 dollar shipping and got it in 2 days.
there are a few posts on some of their planes on the forum, just do a search. Andrew
Old 12-06-2002, 01:50 AM
Buz_Bo

Adnrew,

Thanks for the info. I did so a search but did not find this model in the search. They sound like a bunch of jerks to deal with.
Old 12-06-2002, 01:55 AM
Andrew_S
My Feedback: (12)

I know there is one on their 96 giles 202 on the giant forum....
and i saw a few other one's floating around too......
Andrew
Old 12-06-2002, 02:59 AM
buyrbware
My Feedback: (2)

The edge you are describing has just been listed new in box on ebay under rc aircraft gas powered. it has a buyit now of 800.00 but the going bid is 330.00........Tom
Old 12-06-2002, 05:41 AM
Goggles
My Feedback: (4)

FiberTech Aviation has a 104" Edge if you're looking for a big plane. It's almost a ARC, glass fuse, and many come out as light as 26#. A ZDZ 80 will hover it, which keeps the engine cost down.
Old 12-06-2002, 01:35 PM
JBrannon
My Feedback: (3)

Have you considered one of the new Aeroworks ARFs? If I were going to spend that much money I would choose the best ARF manufacturer, not one that has more negative comments here than any other.

I have owned the 80 GSP Edge, and now I own the Aeroworks 29% edge, there is NO comparison. The Aeroworks plane is Exponentialy better.

Joe Brannon
Old 12-06-2002, 02:06 PM
Buz_Bo

I saw this on ebay and thought I might be able to pick it up at a good price but it appears there are a lot of negatives about this plane. Not only from the customer service side, but one the only review I have read mentions that the control surfaces at the tail need to be a little bigger. You know the old saying "you get what you pay for" and it appears to be true in this case.
Old 12-06-2002, 08:35 PM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

These aircraft are NOT for 3-d if that's what you're going for.

Control surfaces way to small, according to their OWN testimonial on their OWN website!
Old 12-06-2002, 11:19 PM
R/Ckrazy

Default heheheheheh

This must be the 11th post that I have read recently about GSP.com that said that they were rude on the phone, how do companies like that stay in business ???
Old 12-07-2002, 01:39 AM
Buz_Bo

R/Ckrazy

It's simple, THEY WON'T.
Old 12-07-2002, 08:36 PM
tailspnr

Buz, I would recommend the Aeroworks myself. But maybe Im partial since I own one. Mine flies great with a Brison 6.4 and does more than Im capable of yet is gentle as can be. But mine is also an older kit as opposed to a newer ARF. But in all my dealings with Aeroworks they have provided me with prompt, curtious customer service.

Scott K
Old 12-07-2002, 08:45 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Scott, you mean "partial"...lol

Anyway, Giant scale planes is also HHI, the owner's name is Irwin, the heli crowd can't talk enough about how much of a how should I say it...non-people person this guy is...

I have the staudacher 80", sitting collecting dust, its covered and ready to go, anyone want it???? The construction is not as good as my hangar 9 sukhoi....

Mike
Old 12-07-2002, 09:09 PM
tailspnr

Hey Doc...thanks for the correction and for also bringing to my attention that GSP.com is run/owned by "that" Irwin. I now know exactly who you are referring to as I was into Heli's exclusively and intensely for 5 years. I attended IRCHA's Heli Internationals in Columbus Ohio for 4 years and remember him at his booth. And all I can say is that by your reference to him as a "non-people person" you are way too kind. I will refrain from saying exactly what I think of that man except to say that I would give up this hobby before I ever put another penny in his pocket. And those sentiments were widely felt in the heli world when I was present.......maybe thats why he moved into planes.

Scott K
Old 12-07-2002, 11:17 PM
Buz_Bo

WOW,

I'm glad I don't konw this guy.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:21 AM
Buz_Bo

Scott, is yours a 29 or 33%
Old 12-08-2002, 01:26 AM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Originally posted by TailSpnr
Hey Doc...thanks for the correction and for also bringing to my attention that GSP.com is run/owned by "that" Irwin. I now know exactly who you are referring to as I was into Heli's exclusively and intensely for 5 years. I attended IRCHA's Heli Internationals in Columbus Ohio for 4 years and remember him at his booth. And all I can say is that by your reference to him as a "non-people person" you are way too kind. I will refrain from saying exactly what I think of that man except to say that I would give up this hobby before I ever put another penny in his pocket. And those sentiments were widely felt in the heli world when I was present.......maybe thats why he moved into planes.

Scott K
Thats funny. Everyone I have ever met that met Irwin has the same thing to say about him.

I have also seen their 42% Giles. It was ok, but barely. Lost of re-work I had to do on it before I felt comfortable selling it to someone else. It wans't anyway near in the same league as other aircraft in its size. I also saw the smaller Edge. Same thing. Poor to average workmanship, heavy, etc.

Add all the comments about the owner, service, and the way they treat people, I can't see why people buy from them.
Old 12-08-2002, 01:36 AM
tailspnr

Mine is actually a 36% Edge 540......no "T". But it has the same wingspan as the 33% Edge 540T. It's 105"WS and weighs right at 28lbs with the Brison 6.4. I'm sure you'll get a chance to see it at the field eventually......you know when the weather gets better. If theres anything else you'd like to know just ask.

Scott K
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	39790_14475.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	24602  
Old 12-08-2002, 02:21 AM
Buz_Bo

Scott,

How long have you owned it and approx. how many flights have you put on it? I've never owned or flown a giant scale, but they look like they'd be a blast to fly and somewhat easier to see in the air then these small things I've been flying. I'm not sure what the price tag is to get into this size plane but I'm guessing around 2500 for the plane and engine.
Old 12-08-2002, 02:50 AM
Buz_Bo

OK,

What about the 31% 540T ARF by Aeroworks. Does anyone own one of these and what do you think it. The price looks good at 749.00.
Old 12-08-2002, 04:53 AM
sfaust

Originally posted by Buz_Bo
OK,

What about the 31% 540T ARF by Aeroworks. Does anyone own one of these and what do you think it. The price looks good at 749.00.
I've got the Aeroworks 540T in the 105" size. Its an excellent plane all around. Its light. Strong. Flies light. Very stable, and great for 3D flying. I have nothing but good to say about this plane. While its not like my 40% Extra, its a very nice flying plane for its size. It flies much bigger than its size.

I know a few people that have the 31% 540T, and they rave about it as well.
Old 12-08-2002, 03:49 PM
Buz_Bo

Stephen,

Thanks for the info. I want to get into a bigger plane and not spend a lot of building time. This one by Aeroworks looks like a good candidate.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:22 PM
tailspnr

Buz, Ive had mine for almost 2 years. I bought it used off of here from a guy out in Arizona. I spent a good 6 months fighting servo and receiver problems. Once I got everything worked out its been a great plane. The original builder decided to build the ailerons split on each side as if he was using flaps. I put all new Futaba servos in the entire plane and began stripping aileron servos after every other flight. I parked the plane for about 8 months, then decided to join the independent aileron halves and since then have yet to strip a servo. Its a great flying plane and I love it. Im sure you would have had a chance to see it towards the end of the season had I not gotten hooked on playing with PBF's.

Scott K
Old 12-09-2002, 12:32 AM
sfaust

Originally posted by TailSpnr
Buz, Ive had mine for almost 2 years. I bought it used off of here from a guy out in Arizona. I spent a good 6 months fighting servo and receiver problems. Once I got everything worked out its been a great plane. The original builder decided to build the ailerons split on each side as if he was using flaps. I put all new Futaba servos in the entire plane and began stripping aileron servos after every other flight. I parked the plane for about 8 months, then decided to join the independent aileron halves and since then have yet to strip a servo. Its a great flying plane and I love it. Im sure you would have had a chance to see it towards the end of the season had I not gotten hooked on playing with PBF's.

Scott K
Im interested why the servos might have stripped? It would be very odd for it to be caused by the independent aileron halves themselves. What servos were used? How were they split? Linkages? etc...

Just curious, as there are so many planes running with flaps (basically split ailerons), and split ailerons without any problems at all. I'm especially curious, as my 40% Extra has split ailerons to resolve all the issues with ganged servos, as well as add more redundancy (ie, I can loose either receiver or a battery, and still have either inboard L&R ailerons, or outboard L&R ailerons for roll control).
Old 12-09-2002, 04:25 AM
tailspnr

sfaust, Im using Futaba 9204's in the wings and 9402's on the elevators. Dual aileron servos on each wing half with one 9204 for each aileron panel. As with large surfaces attached to one servo there is no way to eliminate all of the play. And it may just be my Brison 6.4 because it puts out a lot of vibration at lower RPM's which seems to be prevelant at the center of the plane where the wings are. And with the weight and vibration present at the ailerons I would constantly go through the plastic gears in the drive train of my 9204's. This would happen randomly to the different panels on average every couple of flights. It seemed like the only times that I was able to observe the failures was during low RPM, high vibration manuveurs like harriers. But ever since I re-joined the aileron halves I have not had that problem and have about 20 flights since then. The only thing that I can attribute this to is the fact that I puposely tried to avoid setting the two aileron servos up identical. By this I mean that they are centered slightly different which eliminates any play in the setup. Now maybe the newer digital servos can handle the load without failure but again, this is the only thing that I can figure caused my problems. And I have to think that these servos are more than adequate as Frank Knoll recomended these exact servos which are what he was using in his 40% planes at the time. Im sure he has moved into digitals by now but he had no problems with his.

And as far as my receiver problems go Im using dual receivers and batteries. When I first bought the plane I put FM receivers in the plane and had all kind of glitching problems even without the motor running. That problem went away immediately once I replaced the two with PCM receivers.

Now when it comes to giant scale planes I would never fly any other way than with dual recievers and batteries as I have lost different servos and even one half of the plane and been able to fly the plane in with almost total control. Thank goodness the receiver battery that went out controlled the rudder instead of the throttle.

Scott K

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.