Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

The Hangar 9 33% Line of SA Aircraft

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

The Hangar 9 33% Line of SA Aircraft

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 11:19 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Hangar 9 33% Line of SA Aircraft

If he does its ok because I am sure replacements are not a problem....lol
Old 05-09-2006, 09:12 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well I couldn't say if the model he uses for that public events thing is the DA-100 powered one, but he does indeed have one of the 33% Edges with that DA-100 on it and talks about it on his forum...

That and the fact that one of the guys here locally has the Edge with a DA-100 on it, are the reasons I opted for a 100 size twin on mine although it is a ZDZ rather than the DA.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:07 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

(Low in the back-ground, getting louder...) bunny, bunny, BUNNY BUNNY!!!
Old 05-09-2006, 10:13 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

With the BME having less power than the DA, the Bunny may be an option.
I just like the way the Hangar 9 products fly.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

The SU31 does have a known problem with a I beam type spar / webbing setup and too little glue. Mike McConville layed out the whole problem in a thread in his Forum callled " Hangar 9 Sukhoi - One snap too many"

I lost mine from this defect. Had I known about it I would have done the fix before ever even thinking of flying it again. I only found the info out after it had already gone in and I had disposed of the remains. This was over a year ago and the info had been out some time prior to that. Mine started with the stock GT80 ( OK ) then to a BME 102 ( better ) then finally with a DA100 ( hold on! ) . Did you know about the defect then decide to take your chances? Even if you did, they are copping out not honoring your warranty because of the engine size. The wings would have eventually failed with a G62 on it and they know it.

I thought many times about getting another one NIB and starting out by fixing the webbing but opted to go with the H9 Edge 540. Even now with a hundred or so flights on the Edge I miss the SU31. Wildhare, Smildhare. Their planes may indeed fly very well but none come close to the beauty of the H9 Sukhoi.

Considering your dedication and preference to the H9 33% line I would suggest the Edge over the old or new Extra's. It lighter, and according to Mike McConville himself, the Edge flies as well as the Extra in precision flying and slightly better in 3D. I love the looks of my new Edge but ......it just ain't the Sukhoi.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20530.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	459372  
Old 05-10-2006, 05:32 PM
Geistware

I am deciding what to do and will do something next month or not at all.
I do have a preference to the Hangar 9 products and I am trying to not let this once incident tarnish my opinion of a great organization. To ensure compliance, I need to change both engines in my planes. I can also take the chance that this type of situation will not happen with my new Extra. I plan to strip the Cap down and check it out. Maybe re-glue everything and then recover it in a single color.

The Sukhoi did have a lot of coupling problems that took most of the mixes in my 9C but I did like how it flew after it was all said and done. The Extra flys a LOT better and will definately get over 300 flights by the end of the flying season. (My Cap has over 500)

I need to realize that while a lot of technical and competitent people work for H9, you do have policies in place to protect the company from harm. I am sure this policy is good in it's own right. Just troubles me when a policy as applied doesn't have a bearing on the facts of the case.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:48 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

someone said get a plane with foam wings, but why not make a set of foam wings for the Sukhoi? This could be easily done in a weekend.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Geistware

Well if the rest of the plane was intact, I would.
Right now, there is not enough wood intact to make a foamy
ORIGINAL: mrbigg

someone said get a plane with foam wings, but why not make a set of foam wings for the Sukhoi? This could be easily done in a weekend.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:50 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

23.5lbs with DA 100 and rocket performance. I imagine that BME will give similar performance at similar or less weight. BME 110 is certainly extreme on this plane.

Really didnt need much in terms of mixing. H9 tries to make some alright planes. Besides their 46% Ultimate I was not thrilled with there 33%'s or even the 27% 260 which is really more of a glow plane IMHO.

Wild Hares are awesome but I am not going to sway you either which way. There are many great 33-35% Arfs out there. I think a well built 33% ARF would give you awesome performance from your BME.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60794.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	459549