Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

35% Aviation Models Yak maiden....Finally!

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

35% Aviation Models Yak maiden....Finally!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Leardriver
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35% Aviation Models Yak maiden....Finally!

Well after what seems like years my Aviation Models 35% Yak finally took to the sky! It was my first time out this season and all went well. I don't want to give it away, but suffice it say that whether you are loong to a 3D "go nuts" plane or a full on IMAC ride this plane is up to the task.

Something else I wanted to mention....DA rocks! Brand new DA100 and MTW TD75 cannisters...started FIRST FLIP! The engine just settled into a nice idle and carburated perfectly. Again....Dave and the boys did a great job. I just can't see buying anything else but a DA. Took this plane straight up doing rolls until "I" said enough! Just awesome!

Here a few teaser pics until I get some inflight photos and a decent video together for the official RCU review to be published in a few weeks!

Leardriver

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71028.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	455010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86961.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	455011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16092.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	455012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un34043.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	455013  
Old 05-03-2006, 06:04 AM
BRYAN01601
My Feedback: (48)

Default RE: 35% Aviation Models Yak maiden....Finally!

Congratulations Paul!!! That is asweet looking bird. I love my 35% yak it flies like a much bigger plane than it is. It flied better than my 40% edge! Good luck with it and I am looking forward to the review
Old 05-03-2006, 06:28 AM
cbk07
My Feedback: (64)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Congratulations Paul! Glad to hear it went well. I think now that you fianlly have it together, you will love this plane. Talk to you later, Craig
Old 05-03-2006, 08:27 AM
Leardriver

Thanks guys....there will be more to come. I was only able to get three flights in the other day so things were kept to a fairly conservative level of flying with a few "WOOHOOS" in there "just to see". One thing that is very apparant is that it seems to really "lock in". Also...no need for much aileron throw! Very powerful....I started off with a low rate of 60% and went immediately to 50% and will probably go to 40% for the next outing.

PaulP
Old 05-03-2006, 02:30 PM
AndresAM

Leardriver,
What is the finished weight of your plane?.
Andres
Old 05-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Leardriver

Andres,

I have not had a chance to weigh the plane yet, but it flys nice and light. I can take off and go vertical until I want to stop. It is very stable and and inspires confidence. More flights to come over the weekend. I'll let you know when I get a weight.

Thanks,
PaulP
Old 05-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Paul

Out of all the Aviation Models Schemes I like your the most. The D100 is sure a great Motor.

Congratulations once again.

Ian
Old 05-05-2006, 09:22 PM
matrix-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

Paul,

Congrats on the maiden! I have to get up to your field one of these weekends....now that the weather is so nice!!!

Regards,
Bruce
Old 05-05-2006, 09:28 PM
extra1968

Hi , Leardriver I also have a 35% toc yak with a da-100 seems to take a long time to slow down for landing or whatever , must be the CG where is you'r CG at ? I'm just about 9 1/4 " calls for 8" still flies great would like to get the tail wheel down first.[8D]
Old 05-10-2006, 09:55 AM
Leardriver

Hey guys,

I have a few more flights on the 35% Yak and am getting happier with the plane in general. It is very docile and doesn't exibit any bad habits at all. It also is proving to be an excellent IMAC type plateform as well as 3D machne. Locks in very well and when you ask it has just silly amounts of control input available. Knife Edge Loops, Knife Edge Snaps, Tumbles, Blenders, Solid Harriers, ect........just no issue with this thing.

As far as the CG goes...I actually don;t remember where it is right now , but when flying inverted on a 45 upline it requires just a hint of forward (read down elevator) to hold it. Basically it is right where "I" like it. I will check it though next time I put it all together.

As for landing fast...mine will float in very nicely, but I would first go up and explore the slow flight envelope of your plane. This way you can slow it down on the downwind and base leg with confidence. That really makes a big difference. Carry only enough power to maintain adaquate controllabilty...any more power and your just eating up runway. Give it a try....you'll be surprised at how slow you can really fly this plane. BUT REMEMBER-try it higher first! I don't want to hear about a stall/spin/ need new airplane thing! Lol!

PaulP