Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Aeropro Cap

Old 12-18-2002, 01:01 PM
Shadow-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aeropro Cap

I'm looking for some information on the Aeropro Cap 231 with an 87" wingspan. I picked up a broken one at a swap meet and am putting it back together. The original owner had a G-62 in it and said it flew OK.

I have a choice between a G-62 and an Macarelli (SP?) 85. I was just wondering whether anyone had any experience with this plane and can advise which would be the better choice to put in it.

At this point I can't do torque rolls or 3-D aerobatics. I am looking for something that will improve my aerobatic skills. Even though the guys I fly with say that is impossible.

Thanks for the help.

Randy
Old 12-19-2002, 04:15 AM
eeb

Default Aeropro Cap

hi,is this the 231ex 87 1/2" wing, i am holding plans and book in my hand,kit in other room,got ques. i might have answers. earl
Old 12-19-2002, 12:56 PM
Shadow-RCU

Default Cap 231 EX

Earl:

I believe the one you have is the correct one. It has a one piece wing and the the landing gear is attached to the wing. I have done a search on the web, but I really have not found any information about the company or the airplane. I found one article that the plane was an ARC and built in Mexico. Does this match with the one you have?

Can you tell me what the recommended engine size is for the plane? I am really trying to make up my mind what engine to put in it. I think the Maccarelli is a little large so unless someone tells me different I will probably go with the G 62.

The person that built it originally did an outstanding job and there are many little innovations that I had never thought of.
I am really looking forward to flying the plane.

Thanks for the help.

Randy
Old 12-19-2002, 01:13 PM
eeb

Default Aeropro Cap

hi, they say 50 to 60 cc a g-62 should be ok,if plane is 22lbs. or less a good g-62 should hover it, fire wall should be beefed up by what plans say.flying weight 20 to 21 pds. 1443 sq.in. wing area. yes made in mexico. phone-011 521 219 1797. where are you located? i bought mine from dons hobby salina, kansas. i also have 108" citabria from aeropro,23 pds. is on my home page,os 3oo twin on c&h ign. and glow right up out of sight,that would be my next engine i would use in cap better than g-62. good talking with you, write again. earl
Old 12-20-2002, 06:10 AM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

Default Aeropro Cap

I picked up one of these ARCs here on RCU some time ago. I have finished the wing and covered it, hinged the ailerons, cut out for servo boxes. I have attached the horizontal stab, I double beveled horizontal and vertical stabs for better throw. I have a zdz80 single cylinder engine that's going in mine, 55 lbs of thrust to a 21 lbs plane, that sounds just right to me. The quality of the plane is pretty decent, the wing comes out pretty heavy though, I may substitute that big heavy aluminum gear for some carbon gear, but not until it's finished. When the seller of my plane was advertising it here on RCU, somebody posted a link to a review, which was pretty good. In the review a G62 was used for power plant. I'd say anything that doesn't weigh more than a G62 would be fine for power, one can always cut back on the throttle.
DKjens
Old 12-20-2002, 01:56 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Default Aeropro Cap

I have one of these Caps, and have flown it for a few seasons. There is a detailed write up on my web site, in the review or proejects section. the web address is www.GiantScaleRC.com.

Some general comments from memory;

A G62 powered it well, and it balanced pretty good with that engine. I used the ignition on the G62, but it wasn't all that much different from using the Jump Start system. The Jump Start is much lighter and cheaper, so I would go that route if I did it again.

This plane will be harder to torque roll than a larger plane. However, if one could get more power, and lighter weight, it should be ok. I wouldn't go with any engine that is heavier than the G62. If you do, you will need to add tail weight to compensate, and it will start to get heavier, further limiting its torque rolling abilities.

The plane flies nice. Is stable in the air, and tracks well. However, it does build heavy, so try to lighten it as much as you can during building.

Hope that helps. Check the web site for more info. If you don't find what you need there, e-mail me at slfaust at charter dot net.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:06 PM
Shadow-RCU

Default Aeropro Cap

Thanks for all the information. You have convinced me to go with the G 62. Sounds like anything heavier will cause balance problems. I can't wait to get out and fly it.

Randy
Old 07-05-2008, 10:05 PM
spyderr

Default RE: Cap 231 EX

i just got one of these planes the plans call for a 3 to a 3.7 cu.in engine
Old 01-04-2009, 12:05 PM
SkyKnight
My Feedback: (67)

Default RE: Cap 231 EX

Hi guys. I just picked up one of these planes and it is almost ready to go. I have a ZDZ50 on it but I'm not sure of the CG location. I found an article that calls for 5 3/8 - 6" At that position, the plane is extremely tail heavy. It is taking 3lbs 2oz which doesn't seem quite right. That puts the CG location right behind the main gear. If somebody can give me the CG and control throws, I can set up and give it a go. Thanks for any help.

-alan
Old 12-11-2019, 07:27 AM
nyflyer56

Default Aeropro Cap 231ex manual

I found this discussion when searching for info on the AeroPro Cap 231. I just acquired one , but it is missing the manual. Does anyone have one or know where I might be able to source one? I know this is an old thread, but I am taking a chance someone may see this. BTW this is the 87.5" version.

Thanks

Last edited by nyflyer56; 12-11-2019 at 07:32 AM.