Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Composite ARF canopy/hatch

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Composite ARF canopy/hatch

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 09:33 AM
uLTRASPORT1000
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Composite ARF canopy/hatch

Has anyone come up with a way to make the canopy/hatch work with a quick release mechanism?
Thanks
Old 10-13-2006, 07:54 AM
amjflyer

Default RE: Composite ARF canopy/hatch

I saw somebodys canopy fly off in a snap once...but thats probably not what you meant

Old 10-13-2006, 11:10 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

This can be done but must be done properly to avoid a canopy coming off. The loads on these size canopies in flight is surprisingly high so any gaps/slop will eventually see them depart!

If you must make the canopy quickly removable then you can fit some locating pins in the front of the canopy that fit snugly into holes in ply support pieces glued into the fuselage. Use 2 QUALITY hatch latches at the lower rear corners on the canopy frame. Again, ensure the holes that the latch pin slide into are snug. You will probably also need a couple of ply tongues at mid points along the sides of the frames to stop any knife edge like forces pushing the canopy sideways across the fuselage.

Ultimately, the best solution is to stick with the factory method of 4 bolts (takes me less than 30sec to remove canopy as std) and isecurity is virtually guaranteed!

Rgds,
Mark
Old 10-13-2006, 12:46 PM
amjflyer

For a very quick and easy solution you could change the M4 bolts for 4-40 or 6-32 UNF threads, its a better thread and screws in and out far faster than metric threads.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:09 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with this method on the Comp-ARF is the fuse and canopy compliment each other to add rigidity. I've seen it done on Yuri Higuchi's 3.0M Extra but he did some cross-bracing to make sure the canopy wouldn't pop off during flight. To me, on the Comp-ARFs it isn't worth it.