Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

No BS

Old 10-25-2006, 06:37 AM
kkling77
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No BS

Here's a question for you guys who are running 2 receivers out there. I was looking at getting some new NiMH batteries from No BS Batteries and saw that it is possible to get batteries with 2 connectors. The question I have is, if I get a battery with dual connectors could I plug that battery into both receivers without any problems? I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be an issue but I figured I would check to see if anybody else is doing this. The final configuration would be as follows: I would have 2 receivers, 2 switches, and 2 batteries. I intend to plug each battery into both receivers therefore providing redundant power in case of failure.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:48 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: No BS

I was considering a setup like you mentioned... and a team Futaba flyer and good friend sent this to me....

DO NOT cross the regulators from one side to another. A common failure is indeed the regulator and switches which will be somewhat resolved the way you have it drawn up. However, in the event of a short which also happens, you would then loose both rx's and overload the second regulator

SO I will run one battery into one RX and the other battery into the other RX
Old 10-25-2006, 07:29 AM
kkling77
My Feedback: (16)

That is good information, as I was still considering lithiums as well. But my initial question was based on using NiMH batteries.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:36 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

from the way I was looking at it... the battery chemistry doesn't matter...

if one Ni pack does... it would take the other with it, unless they are isolated somehow.....
Old 10-25-2006, 11:18 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Whether it be NiMh or Lion, I agree with this 100%. You want 100% electrical isolation between receivers. Crossing the batt's ruins the isolation. I would keep them totally separate for true redundancy. That way a failure in one receiver/switch/reg/batt has absolutely no effect on the other receiver/switch/reg/batt.

The only thing the dual leads on that battery are good for is to put two switches on one battery, assuming your failure will be a switch. Problem with that is if the batt goes, and it's the only batt, it's all over.

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

I was considering a setup like you mentioned... and a team Futaba flyer and good friend sent this to me....

DO NOT cross the regulators from one side to another. A common failure is indeed the regulator and switches which will be somewhat resolved the way you have it drawn up. However, in the event of a short which also happens, you would then loose both rx's and overload the second regulator

SO I will run one battery into one RX and the other battery into the other RX