Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Who makes the best smoke pump?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Who makes the best smoke pump?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 03:34 AM
Todd L.
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who makes the best smoke pump?

I have a ZDZ 80RV with a KS tuned pipe and I want to put smoke on it. What kind of smoke pump should I get? And what kind on smoke oil should I use?
Thanks for your input.
Old 01-21-2003, 04:12 AM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

I love the Don Harris pumps. However, they are hard to find these days. They just work, and never give me any problems. I have gone though multiple TME pumps and won't use them anymore. Even the new style. They work about 90% of the time, but sometimes just won't turn on, or spits some smoke after turned off. I've tired all the methods they recommend with regards to check valves, etc. Even tried some of my own, as well as on different planes and engines. 90% isn't good enough when I can get 100% with the Harris pumps.

I want to try the Mega-Smoke pumps, but haven't purchased a few yet to try out. The Harris pumps works so well, I haven't had the need to replace one yet. But when I do, I'll try the Mega-Smoke pumps.
Old 01-21-2003, 04:24 AM
wuudogg
My Feedback: (14)

Slimline now offers an all in one pump system. Called the SHOWTIME. They were showing it off at the Pasadena show.

Small Enclosed Package Includes

Battery
Pump
Speed Controller (of some sorts) so flow is adjustable from transmitter.

http://www.slimlineproducts.com/2.asp

A friend of mine picked one up.

Anybody use one yet ?

Sorry I didn't answer your question.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:03 PM
Todd L.

I have a body of mine that had a mega-smoke pump and had a lot of problems with it. When he sent it in for repairs (sent UPS) they said they never got it. He check with UPS and it turned out that they had it they "misplaced it". Then they gave him some BS about "you tried to repair it your self" and that "the warranty is void".
He used it once and the pump it self got hot and burned the outside wrap. So 3 month's after he sent it in they said they would not replace it or even repair it.
The SlimLine sound like its worth giving a try. I hope that someone reads this that has one. I would really like to know how that work.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:10 AM
N45328

I have a Don harris smoke system in my edge. It is probably by far one of the most reliable smoke systems to use and easy to install. I think cactus aviation sells them for $112. http://www.cactusaviation.com/misc.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	49154_2701.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	30181  
Old 01-22-2003, 01:04 AM
Todd L.

Nice pic. Is there a plane in there? It looks like I need to get a Don Harris smoke system. I'll see what else comes of the thread. Thanks for the help guys. What kind smoke oil are ya useing?
Old 01-22-2003, 01:11 AM
N45328

Super Dri

Name:	49162_2701.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	30182  
Old 01-22-2003, 01:13 AM
Todd L.

Thanks for the info
Old 01-22-2003, 01:39 AM
EXTRA260

I USE B & B SMOKE SYSTEM, IT IS THE BEST AND TROUBLE FREE SYSTEM I EVER USE. I ALSO US THEIR SMOKE OIL TOO.
TRY IT AND YOU WILL BE GLAD, NOT MAD>
THANKS
EXTRA 260
Old 01-22-2003, 02:31 AM
sfaust

Here is a short video that shows the amount of smoke you can get with the Don Harris pump on a DA-150. Its only 1mb, and really shows the smoke volume. (I miss the plane too )

http://www.giantscalerc.com/images/a...20smoke-A1.mpg
Old 01-22-2003, 04:12 AM
Todd L.

Ya I've lookin at the B&B too, not to bad. See I'm gettin some info before Toledo in April so I can get one at show specials. So far I got Don harris pumps, Showtime by slimline and B&B pumps. A lot to choose from.

sfaust,
What happend to the plane in the video?
Old 01-22-2003, 04:21 AM
sfaust

3 mistakes, 2 mistakes high.

Overcast day, 7pm, sky getting dark. Practicing knife edge spins. Wind blowing from my back. After three knife edge spins, the wind had blown it further way, and it was a silhouette in the sky. I went to recover and lost orientation for a split second. Reoriented myself and pulled to recover from the dive. Loosing orientation caused me to forget I had 3d rates still on, and I stalled it about 75'. I recovered from the stall, and started climbing skyward, but shredded the plane through the tree tops on the way up.

I must say it took up a lot less room in the trailer on the way home. I vowed to return to that event next year with two planes instead of one. I can say I'll be brining two 40% Extras this year, just in case My only regret was that if it was going to crash, I wanted to see it. Something spectacular. I didn't. I just heard a crunch

Name:	49216_14088.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	30183  
Old 01-22-2003, 07:56 AM
3Dfalcon

I have three Don Harris pumps and they all work great.

I looked at the new slimline pump at the show last weekend.

It actualy looks very nice and the battery is included.
The nicest feature about it is the built in speed controler enableing you to adjust the amount of fluid to the pump.
Great Idea.
Lets See how they hold up
Old 01-22-2003, 09:12 PM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

Default beat smoke pump

Todd L. I would recommend the mega-smoke pump that is available thru www.urgear.com. I have had mine for over a year now and it smokes great with bennetts best oil. I like it because you can slave it to your throttle such that the pump runs linear with the throttle. The tme runs full all the time with a restrictor, the mega smoke can be varied thru your transmitter. I have mine such that at idle, the pump does not even run, but just a click or two and it turns very slowly, then getting faster with every click of throttle. [email protected] thanks and bol, Jeff W.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:17 PM
Todd L.

-sfaust-
Sorry to hear about your plane. I lost my Edge 540T in late October. It was the maiden flight. 30 seconds after take off the engine quit. I try to bleed off some altitude, a tail wind caught me and flipped it nose down. My new one is almost finished. Don't feel bad, at least you had more than one flight on it. I miss mt baby too.

Name:	49371_23568.gif
Views:	25
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	30184  
Old 01-22-2003, 10:29 PM
Todd L.

JWilliams
Have you ever had a problem with the Mega-Smoke system? I just want to make sure that if the pump need's to go back I won't have a problem with the service. I have not knocked out Mega Smoke just yet. I will look at them all closely before i make a decision. I do like the idea of the flow being regulated at the transmitter.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:08 AM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

Default no problems

Todd L. I have had no problems with my mega smoke system. It is very easy to set up and I love the linear throttle option. I estimate I pumped about 5 - 6 gallons of smoke oil last summmer thru my ZDZ 80 single with the supersonics baffled muffler. UR Gear even makes an injector for better atomization of the smoke oil. I have never owned a Don Harris but if it did not have the variable pump option I would not do it. I also liked the Bennetts smoke oil over the MDW super dri. Jeff W.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:43 PM
jaooster
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: Smoke Pumps Confusion.

I've got a TME smoke pump and hate it. It always looses prime.... works fine on the ground, then in the sky, nothing. I've been working with it on and off for 4 years, changing location, cg, check valve location, flow restrictors, etc, etc.

I've been reading and reading on RC universe about smoke systems, there's good and bad said about every system. The conclusion I've come to is that Don Harris seems to be the best... not much bad said about it.
However, Don Harris is retiring or retired, and no longer makes his smoke pump.
B&B is also good, but I don't want to drill into my new ZDZ100b2NG.

I just got off the phone with Bobby at Cactus Aviation, and 3W is making a new smoke pump that (reportedly) works great on engines up to 150cc and bigger. Bobby says it's a lot like the Don Harris pump, and says it works great.
I've just ordered one ($99) and I'll let you know how it works on my ZDZ100b2NG in my 1/3 scale H9 Sukhoi.

fyi
Old 05-22-2004, 09:07 AM
tedeb

Default RE: Smoke Pumps Confusion.

Hi Guys
I used the very inexpensive Dubro smoke system in my 2.6m Extra with a DA-100. Worked beautifully everytime. No pumps or batteries needed. very light weight. One mini servo required...............Ted
Old 05-22-2004, 09:13 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Default RE: Who makes the best smoke pump?

The showtime or DonHarris pumps cant' go wrong....
Old 05-22-2004, 12:54 PM
sbaugz
My Feedback: (37)

I use the new sullivan skywriter. Chief aircraft sells it for $79. The all in one unit includes pump and all hardware needed. You hook it up to your receiver on a spare channel and also hook it up to a separate battery pack. I like the idea of not having to drill a hole in the crankcase for a pressure tap (such as needed with the B&B smoke pump). With my Futaba 9C radio, I then mix it to the throttle to have varying flow rates depending on throttle. My plane is a monocoupe with a G-26 and B&B Muffler. Tons of smoke and very reliable.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:09 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

sorry for the lost plane[]
Old 07-19-2004, 09:51 AM
rcpilotgb

I also have a Sullivan Skywriter but haven't got to use it yet. Although I have heard good stuff about it.

rcpilotgb
Old 07-20-2004, 02:31 PM
rcking
My Feedback: (8)

hello
i have 3 TME smoke systems and they work great.
The combination that I found is: DO NOT USE THE RESTRICTOR BUT DO USE A
B & B CHECK VALVE AS CLOSE TO THE MUFFLER AS POSSIBLE.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:29 AM
ml3456

Anybody ever use an air tank and switch to push the smoke into the muffler?

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.