Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

PAU/BME 87" Extra 330L - Build and Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

PAU/BME 87" Extra 330L - Build and Fly

Old 12-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Digger44
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PAU/BME 87" Extra 330L - Build and Fly

ORIGINAL: Maudib

The part numbers you need are:

MTW TD 75 k canister (which is the 235mm long, front exhaust canister) (the TD75 is too long at 355mm)

VA-DBW2 with 25mm drop (approximately 1") (could specify 0mm drop, 25mm drop or 50mm drop)

This is a question mark header (wraparound) with flex section and 1" drop. You can also specify a smoke fitted version. (VA-DBW2 with 25mm drop and smoke fitting)

This header wraps around the head to align behind the cylinder, and is angled 25mm (1") downward to align the canister 1" below the exhaust port and features the flex section for some adjustment in installation.

Do you happen to know if this header is the same as the DBH25 on TBM site? The can at TBM is the same part# but the header has a different part #. Same drop w/flex. Also the coupler listed there says it's for the DA100 even though it's 25mm also.
Maybe I should have asked where can these parts be ordered?? TBM site =$200 for the set on a single seems a little pricey!!
Thanks,
Bob
Old 12-29-2006, 11:42 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

I would think his listed is correct... just confirm it's the wraparound flex header (sometimes called Question mark flex header) with a 25mm drop.

The part# I got was direct from MTW... he seems to be selling the KS header... which is basically the same thing.

Couplers are the same... just a 25mm tube the 100 uses TWO vs one for each of it's two 50cc heads...
Old 12-29-2006, 11:47 AM
Digger44
My Feedback: (4)

I guess he could have modified the #'s. I'll double check the measurements before ordering.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 12-29-2006, 11:58 AM
Maudib

I edited my post above... I see his header is the KS brand and THAT'S why the part number is differnt.... but both of them will work in this application....
Old 12-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Maudib

Some more progress...

On another thread Steve tied out my C-Clamp hinge drill guide and liked it...

His thread is here sharing some good info as well... give it a look:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5163999

I too found it quite a useful tool... and have used it to get my elevators drilled and horned up...

Here's apic of Steve using it:

Old 12-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Maudib

Now after I slid the stabs on tight... I used a square to come off the elevator hingeline to the outside of the servo arm.... and marked a line.

The horn is 1/2" offset from the center of the horn screw and the pivot point of the horn... so the "X" marks the spot 1/2" behind the hingeline.

The mark is then carefully measured and transfered on the other side of the surface and the drill guide is clamped over the marks and the surface drilled.

The horn screw is then installed as well as the horn itself. WOrked out quite nicely.... I like the horns a lot... Mine were really tiight (the horn onto the aluminum screw) and I was told that using a SS screw to "tap through" the horn would loosen it up... BUTthat it over time developed a little oosness. By then they were finalized with adjustments and dribbled a dropof CA intot he hrom threads.

Me however I decided to see if I could "force" thread the horn onto the aluminum screw and it worked just fine and is nice and tight... we'll see if they loosen over time. I don't know what exactly to thikabout the aluminum screws... I'll try then but wouldn't think twice about replacing them with SS versions from Lowe's. Haven't checked the thread but it's a finer thread than 32 I think...

Still... all in all these things are slick and light.

Oh... I am using HiTec HS-59-45's on the elevators.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47766.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	586640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89646.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	586641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13097.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	586642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56457.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	586643  
Old 12-30-2006, 02:00 PM
Maudib

For the rudder, I'm usinf a HiTec HS-5955TG and a 3" Airwild double arm... I also like the SWB arms too... and have some for the other surfaces.

The servo was just a smidge long for the cutout... so I attached a piece of sandpaper to a balsa stick and opened it up just enough for the servo to pop in.

Name:	Ki20721.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	586646  
Old 12-30-2006, 08:40 PM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maudib,
Are you going to use the servo arms that came with the 5955's on the elevators and ailerons?
Old 12-30-2006, 09:31 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

Same issue here with the screws being too tight. I too thought I would tap it while screwing on the rudder long screw, only to break it eventually. It just twisted and finally broke. I replaced with DuBro hardware - no issue at all.

Now after I slid the stabs on tight... I used a square to come off the elevator hingeline to the outside of the servo arm.... and marked a line.

The horn is 1/2" offset from the center of the horn screw and the pivot point of the horn... so the "X" marks the spot 1/2" behind the hingeline.

The mark is then carefully measured and transfered on the other side of the surface and the drill guide is clamped over the marks and the surface drilled.

The horn screw is then installed as well as the horn itself. WOrked out quite nicely.... I like the horns a lot... Mine were really tiight (the horn onto the aluminum screw) and I was told that using a SS screw to "tap through" the horn would loosen it up... BUTthat it over time developed a little oosness. By then they were finalized with adjustments and dribbled a dropof CA intot he hrom threads.

Me however I decided to see if I could "force" thread the horn onto the aluminum screw and it worked just fine and is nice and tight... we'll see if they loosen over time. I don't know what exactly to thikabout the aluminum screws... I'll try then but wouldn't think twice about replacing them with SS versions from Lowe's. Haven't checked the thread but it's a finer thread than 32 I think...

Still... all in all these things are slick and light.

Oh... I am using HiTec HS-59-45's on the elevators.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:32 PM
Maudib

I have before... the thicker ones, drilled and tpapped for a balllink.... but I have some SWB double-loc arms here I'll use instead.

Good stuff!

http://www.swbmfg.com

Old 12-30-2006, 09:46 PM
Maudib

Funny... the "conical "tower" nut threaded fine... but the horn threading seems tighter... maybe too tight of tolerance and the then the anodizing closed the deal...

Between that and the flexibility of the screws... I think maybe it's not a bad idea to simply replace the aluminum screws with SS from a hradware store... GOIng DuBro is fine too... excellent actually, but these are really nice aluminum horns... and the auto leveling of the washer/bases is nice.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:06 AM
yarom

Some of the DuBro stuff has the same feature, with conical self leveling nuts. I think it's 893 or something similar.

I am using the SWB 1.25". From the pictures (manual and elsewhere), I see Ken has been using one hole before last, or about 1 inch for all surfaces.

I also used kevlar string from AirWild for pull/pull, instead of the supplied metalic cable.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:57 AM
Maudib

I've not seen that in the DuBro HD line... The ones I see have that big ole flat conical nut for the bottom side and it never sits flush with the surface and invariably digs into the covering and wood while the other side is up off the surface...

On to the aileron horns... I use a straight edge along the side of the case to draw a reference line, then move it outward 1/8". This aligns the horn in such a way that the pushrod has best mechanical advantage at full deflection when needed.

The control horn itself is too short to center over the hingeline, so when marking the drill holes for the "C clamp drill guide" I made the bottom hole a wee bit little closer to the edge of the bevel than the top. This cants the screw and places the horn over the hingeline. A little of the horn washer will need to be ground away to allow full deflection down.

Name:	Xv63807.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	587260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77645.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	587261  
Old 12-31-2006, 09:48 AM
Maudib

Now the pull-pull setup...

After attaching the balllinks to teh 3" servo arm I use a long CF rod to align the horns with the slots and servo arm.

The rid gets slid through the slot, through the fuse and into the balllink on the servo arm. It's raised or lowered until the CF rod is centered in the slot and the rudder marked.

The the rudder is drilled and horn installed... for a perfect alignment with the pull-pull wire exit slot. I am crossing my wires. The horn hole needs drilled really close to the edge of the bevel to get the pivot over the hingeline... so again a little of the base will need to be ground off for full deflection.

Name:	Bz78691.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	587282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98137.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	587283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25615.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	587284  
Old 12-31-2006, 09:58 AM
Maudib

I'm also leary again of the aluminum rod for the rudder... just a little too soft and "bendy". Will replace all the rods with SS screws from Lowe's IF I can find the direct metric replacement...
Old 12-31-2006, 11:49 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking good so far. I also moved my aileron horn location in just a bit for proper servo travel.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:18 PM
Ken-h
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: yarom

I am using the SWB 1.25". From the pictures (manual and elsewhere), I see Ken has been using one hole before last, or about 1 inch for all surfaces.

Yarom,

Just to let you know, I am using 1.5" inch arms with the rods mounted at the 1.25" location.

David,

I have hundreds and hundreds of hard 3D flights using that hardware with know loosening of the pull-pull at all due to the rod bending. I've got more tail touchs on the Extra than I can count and some of them were not gentle and the rods have held up fine.

The build looks great David...you and Steve are moving right along. Had mine out yesterday again but with a cold wet breeze we did not stay very long.

Ken
Old 12-31-2006, 01:42 PM
yarom

I did the ailerons based on the instructions. I took 90 degrees from the trailing edge to the hole in the arm I was going to use and marked the hole 1/4" from the aileron edge on the opposite side. Horns di end up in fact closer than 1/4 and the screw is quite close to being exactly on the hinge line (both washers portrude a bit into the hinge line).

I do understand why mechanically you would want 90 degrees at full deflection. Another way to achieve something similar is by not having the horns and servos at exactly 90 degrees when neutral...

I've not seen that in the DuBro HD line... The ones I see have that big ole flat conical nut for the bottom side and it never sits flush with the surface and invariably digs into the covering and wood while the other side is up off the surface...

On to the aileron horns... I use a straight edge along the side of the case to draw a reference line, then move it outward 1/8". This aligns the horn in such a way that the pushrod has best mechanical advantage at full deflection when needed.

The control horn itself is too short to center over the hingeline, so when marking the drill holes for the "C clamp drill guide" I made the bottom hole a wee bit little closer to the edge of the bevel than the top. This cants the screw and places the horn over the hingeline. A little of the horn washer will need to be ground away to allow full deflection down.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:45 PM
yarom

Ok. Thanks for clarifying. I'm sure I have similar SWB arms and just did not measure right.

One question that I could not find the data for in the instructions - how high are the aluminum articulated bits screwed from the control surfaces - elevators and ailerons?

ORIGINAL: Ken-h

ORIGINAL: yarom

Yarom,

Just to let you know, I am using 1.5" inch arms with the rods mounted at the 1.25" location.

David,

I have hundreds and hundreds of hard 3D flights using that hardware with know loosening of the pull-pull at all due to the rod bending. I've got more tail touchs on the Extra than I can count and some of them were not gentle and the rods have held up fine.

The build looks great David...you and Steve are moving right along. Had mine out yesterday again but with a cold wet breeze we did not stay very long.

Ken
Old 01-01-2007, 11:17 AM
Ken-h

Yarom,

Mine are halfway between the surface and the end of the bolt except the rudder.

Happy New Year guys!

Ken
Old 01-02-2007, 05:36 PM
bnjones22

hey guys, i need some help can someone post the measurements of the lines on the firewall, I saw on Steve's thread there was a change made and I can't seem to find my amendum. Thanks Brad
Old 01-03-2007, 01:27 AM
bnjones22

Ken answered my question on the other thread, thanks again Ken.

Brad
Old 01-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Ken-h

Hey Guys,

Here is a picture of my hardware setup. The horns look about in the position that Dave has mounted his in. Also posted a picture of some new bling. David made some graphics for me with the new logo and they look great and had to show them off. I'll need to order some more for the rest of the fleet.

Ken

Name:	Wt59034.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	590040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok29057.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	590041  
Old 01-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Maudib

That turned out nice Ken... it looka little more sky blue with the flash... it's a little more "blue angels" blue in person right?

And yeah... if anyone wants some logos... send me a PM...
Old 01-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Ken-h

That turned out nice Ken... it looka little more sky blue with the flash... it's a little more "blue angels" blue in person right?

And yeah... if anyone wants some logos... send me a PM...
Yes sir, pretty darn good match to the covering...thanks! Reguarding the flash...we only get about 4 hours of day light up up this time of year, what can I do?

Ken

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.