Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
 PAU/BME 87" Extra 330L - Build and Fly >

PAU/BME 87" Extra 330L - Build and Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

PAU/BME 87" Extra 330L - Build and Fly

Old 04-23-2007, 05:31 PM
My Feedback: (82)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PAU/BME 87" Extra 330L - Build and Fly

I might be measuring my CG completely wrong...

My measurements put the middle of the CG range exactly at the beginning (front edge) of the yellow trim line under the wing. This is what I have been working from after measuring that this is indeed 5.75".

With the batteries in the motor box I am on CG - with a canister bolted on. Truth is there is not much battery weight as they are all little LiPos...
Old 04-23-2007, 06:09 PM
My Feedback: (4)

I Don't have redundant batteries on Rx. Just a 2600 LiPo for it and a 1400 MeHi for ignition. The kill switch is with a relay and until now it's working OK in another plane. The only problem with it is that will fail in off position if something goes wrong but I prefer it that way.

Steve, I'm aware of the tabs ( actually is just one ). Even my helper is not happy with it but I was a dumbell and I installed the throttle servo before the ignition. The solution would be to mount the ignition on right side, rotate the carburetor and reinstall the throttle servo on left in order to keep it away from ignition. I'm still pondering. I hate to hack the cowl.

Boby
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61732.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	670862   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43500.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	670863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66587.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	670864  
Old 04-23-2007, 08:21 PM
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like your helper is checking out your booboo!!
Old 04-23-2007, 09:53 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Guys,

In case anyone is interested, here is where I ended up with the batteries to get the feel I liked. It's further back then most.

Ken

Name:	Zx71758.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	671057  
Old 04-23-2007, 09:57 PM

Boby,

It looks like that kitty is waiting for a ride!

Ken

Name:	Xv65061.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	671058  
Old 04-23-2007, 11:39 PM

Ken,

The kitty looks extremely fat on that aperture. She has to go to a diet first.
I wanted to ask you if you had any problems running the servo wires so close to antenna.

Boby
Old 04-24-2007, 08:39 AM

Hey Ken,
How does the plane fly inverted with the CG where its at. Is it hands off, or do you have to pull a little elevator? What about at the top of a loop? Thanks.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:38 PM

Hi Steve,

No, I still had a very slight push while inverted. My CG is just behind the recomended settings.

Ken
Old 04-25-2007, 08:08 AM

Have you put any aleron differencial in your?
Old 04-25-2007, 10:30 PM

Steve,

No I do not.

Ken
Old 05-09-2007, 09:17 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Hi,

Where do you install choke servo? On the other hand, if you using manual choke pictures will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in abvance
Old 06-29-2007, 10:43 PM

This thread seems to have been dropped.[] Can anyone update us on the build, how these planes fly, what they like/dislike? This plane has my interest, but I am being very cautious. I got suckered into buying a Cap X, only to have the covering totally useless after 15-20 flights with a gasoline engine. I don't want to make that kind of a mistake on a plane of this type. I have a Brison 52CC looking for a home. I have been considering the Dietrich Extra 260, and this PAU Extra 330L. There are other planes on the list, but these two seem to be the leaders. All of the sudden, it seems like no one is talking about either one. Any input is appreciated![sm=confused.gif]
Old 06-30-2007, 01:17 AM

Hi Flyer Freq,

I have 50 flights on it and still making small mix adjustments. Had no issues at all with the plane, did not spent 1 minute fixing anything since the first flight. My setup is on IMAC side and it's a very good platform for that. I'm not saying it's the best 50 cc on the market but I don't regret buying it. Hope the Field Goddess will not claim it for a couple of seasons.
I hope it helps.

Boby
Old 06-30-2007, 08:29 AM

Thanks Boby!

Pictures can be deceiving. It appears that the fiberglass parts are a semi-gloss finish with jagged edges between colors. Is that the way it is, or is that the poor pixelation of the downloaded images?

If you could change one thing on it, what would that be?

Thanks for the feedback!

Andy
Old 06-30-2007, 12:10 PM

The quality of PAU Extra 330 is unquestionnable, both in terms of build and covering, as in terms of the hardware supplied. They were minor issues in the first batch, by and large rectified by now.

I also own and fly the new QQ Yak 86 and the new EF Yak 88 and from a flying ability and agility perpspective, this Extra is at least on par with them if not better in some areas.

I don't know what this Brison is like, but on a DA-50R with canister, the plane is unlimited in all apsects, ending up at less than 17lbs. Canister install is extremely easy as the kit is ready made for that.

It made me look like a much better pilot than I really am and is extremely easy to fly compared to other 50cc class Extras (I've tried 3 of them).

You will likely not be disappointed if you get one...

ORIGINAL: Flyer Freq

This thread seems to have been dropped.[] Can anyone update us on the build, how these planes fly, what they like/dislike? This plane has my interest, but I am being very cautious. I got suckered into buying a Cap X, only to have the covering totally useless after 15-20 flights with a gasoline engine. I don't want to make that kind of a mistake on a plane of this type. I have a Brison 52CC looking for a home. I have been considering the Dietrich Extra 260, and this PAU Extra 330L. There are other planes on the list, but these two seem to be the leaders. All of the sudden, it seems like no one is talking about either one. Any input is appreciated![sm=confused.gif]
Old 06-30-2007, 04:13 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Check this tread. It has much more info.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_39...tm.htm#6055183

Old 06-30-2007, 06:59 PM

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2007, 02:27 PM

Flyer, I got my extra and am pretty pleased with it. I had a few minor issues with mine a broken stringer in the belly ( easy invisible fix ) a lightly crazed canopy that was resolved no questions asked and the covering is pretty good, but I have seen better on other models like SD and such. But the owner of PAU is great, and stands behind his product and the hardware is second to none. I will be using the Birelli 366 ( 60cc ) and can't wait to get it done. I would recommend this plane to anyone who wants a great product. Good luck on your decision and remember that none of them are perfect, if you want perfect, pay a profesional thousands of dollars to scratch build you a plane and cry when it hits the ground. I will keep paying 10 cents a hour to have mine built for me
Old 08-01-2007, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

I have made no decision on a plane for my Brison 3.2. I have purchased an Ultra RC Katana in the mean time, and hope to make a final decision for the Brison, this winter. The front runners right now are the PAU Extra, the SD models Yak, and the Wild Hare Sukhoi. The Sukhoi is intriguing, but I wish they would have made it a 30% bird. This Extra is nice, as the covering is lighter in color and the covering will require less shrinking after a day in the sun. I think the Extra suits my flying style more, but the Sukhoi's and Yaks are really a nice looking plane. Very tough decisions! I wish I had a money tree so I could try all three!

Thanks again for the feedback! Let us know if you find something particularly praise worthy or not so great in this model!

Andy
Old 08-03-2007, 01:23 PM

Flyer, it is a throw up battle between the SD Yak and Extra. The SD Yak is a great looking plane and is very well built. If SD built a extra 300 I would probably have considered it. I think the overall workmanship on the SD is better but I am a Extra guy and that is why I chose the PAU. My flying buddy is building a SD Yak in the russian thunder scheme and it looks great, but the hardware is kinda cheap ( but the plane is about 85 dollars cheaper as well). The SD is much more finished from the factory and saves a few hours of work required on the extra. I have pictures of both planes side by side if you would like to compare them just message me. I am ready to see how the planes fly in comparison to each other. He is putting a 3w-75 in his and I will have the Brillelli 366 60cc so it will be interesting.

Good luck
Mike
Old 12-09-2007, 10:04 PM
My Feedback: (63)

Well, I am putting this one together for the building season. How are the flight characteristics with this ARF? The materials with the ARF are excellent but the finish isn't so great. That's alright since nothing is ever perfect.[img][/img]

Name:	Ge94582.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	822507  
Old 12-09-2007, 10:26 PM
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks good Solo, your gonna luv that bird. Check out the vids on the PAU website!
Old 12-10-2007, 07:43 AM

It's a very light flyer on a DA-50. Capable of any 3D and IMAC and compares very favorably with any EF and QQ plane in the 50cc category...

ORIGINAL: Solo

Well, I am putting this one together for the building season. How are the flight characteristics with this ARF? The materials with the ARF are excellent but the finish isn't so great. That's alright since nothing is ever perfect.[img][/img]
Old 12-10-2007, 07:48 AM

The SD Yak ends up more expensive than the PAU Extra if you upgrade the minimal hardware they provide.

The non-HP version is available at $499 but comes virtually without decent hardware. If you were to upgrade the tubes, linkages and tail gear, you'd be at over $600 for a Yak that flies OK but is not very scale (compared to the EF anyhow).

I don't think the SD Yak flies better than the PAU Extra 330 either.

Thanks for the feedback!

I have made no decision on a plane for my Brison 3.2. I have purchased an Ultra RC Katana in the mean time, and hope to make a final decision for the Brison, this winter. The front runners right now are the PAU Extra, the SD models Yak, and the Wild Hare Sukhoi. The Sukhoi is intriguing, but I wish they would have made it a 30% bird. This Extra is nice, as the covering is lighter in color and the covering will require less shrinking after a day in the sun. I think the Extra suits my flying style more, but the Sukhoi's and Yaks are really a nice looking plane. Very tough decisions! I wish I had a money tree so I could try all three!

Thanks again for the feedback! Let us know if you find something particularly praise worthy or not so great in this model!

Andy
Old 12-10-2007, 09:11 AM

ORIGINAL: yarom

The SD Yak ends up more expensive than the PAU Extra if you upgrade the minimal hardware they provide.

The non-HP version is available at $499 but comes virtually without decent hardware. If you were to upgrade the tubes, linkages and tail gear, you'd be at over $600 for a Yak that flies OK but is not very scale (compared to the EF anyhow).

I don't think the SD Yak flies better than the PAU Extra 330 either.

Thanks for the feedback!

Andy
I ended up buying the Wildhare Sukhoi, through BCMA, along with a TOC 53. Still have the Brison 3.2. I either have to sell that engine, or reconsider something like this Extra.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.