Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Fiber-Lite warped sheeted wings

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Fiber-Lite warped sheeted wings

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 11:31 PM
plasticman
My Feedback: (97)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Warped sheeted wings

This is one of the finest flying 50cc planes out there. I hope this does not discourage Tom from providing such a fine kit as I will probably build another one. It builds like a Carden and is very well engineered.

P-Man.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:36 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well- the manufacturer very likely did his job right - but residual moisture and a little pressure during shipping can cause a bow - This kind of thing is not that uncommon and I sure would not send it back before trying a light mist and some weight - also lay paper towling edge to edge under and over the wing and give it two days drying time
a wee bit of reverse bow is sometimes needed but those don't look that bad
for what it's worth--- that much bow has ZERO effect on how the model will fly
Built too many - flew too many - fixed too many to believe otherwise.
a warp yes -not good but the forces which can be induced by a minor bow are frankly ---zip
I have fixed Cardens -with exact same problem - On their's it is caused by the shocks being trued one side only and if you try even pressure on both sides (a clamp) - the shucks will try to compensate and -presto a bow
They intend the wings to be placed on a flat surface - trued side down and then weight piled on top - In this manner the uneven side has no effect .
We always trued both sides -which allowed up to 5 psi clamping force (higher than that squashes most foams we use (1 lb density) and use typically 2-3 psi clamping pressure
The pile on the blocks method typically delivers les than one lb- on the 40% stuff you are lucky to hit 1/2 psi. which again is really good enough for the Probond method.
In any case - Pro Bond wings are great as long as they thoroughly dry and do not have any sustained load resting on them for a few days -such as in shipping
Shipping caused me problems -sometimes the fork lift tangs went right through the box- an a week in hot humid stacks is not the greatest enviroment.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:40 AM
Newc

Glad to see that the buyer and seller are working it all out. Suggest that from here on they take exchanges off line.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:53 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Newc

Suggest that from here on they take exchanges off line.
Why's that?
Old 01-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Newc

Taking a discussion between a seller and a buyer off line allows them to work their problem(s) out without the perceived need for posturing that happens when all the discussions are out there for all to chime in on.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:11 PM
slopeflyer

The kit is ready to ship
Old 01-13-2007, 07:06 PM
ncrego
My Feedback: (40)

The kit is ready to ship
What, do you not have his email address? Why does this need to be public?
Old 01-13-2007, 07:08 PM
slopeflyer

He will not respond to emails.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:28 PM
wingburner
My Feedback: (17)

WOW...No shipping arrangements made yet...Unbelievable[sm=thumbs_down.gif]
Old 01-13-2007, 07:29 PM
slopeflyer

based on previous experience im not holding my breath.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Newc

Kind of starting to see a trend here...The posts that are complaining about the manufacturer not being responsive are posted on weekends - when businesses are closed.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:13 PM
slopeflyer

I emailed during the week
Old 01-13-2007, 10:22 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope this all turns out well for you as a builder and supplier
I did it for twenty years and that was fortunately, when there was no internet .
Most of it was a satisfying relationship with customers but some things that happened were really enough to drive me nuts.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:45 PM
slopeflyer

Default RE: Fiber lite warped sheeted wings

"Glad we could work it out. I will finish this kit for my personal fleet...I need one in Kirby's Red Bull scheme.

-Tom "

Tom are you going to take this aircraft back or not??????????
Old 02-01-2007, 01:04 PM
slopeflyer

Has anyone got a phone number for this guy?
Old 02-01-2007, 01:31 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

Default RE: Fiber lite warped sheeted wings

ORIGINAL: slopeflyer

Glad we could work it out. I will finish this kit for my personal fleet...I need one in Kirby's Red Bull scheme.

-Tom

Tom are you going to take this aircraft back or not??????????
And this means ???????
Old 02-01-2007, 01:37 PM
slopeflyer

It means I have a large box that is still in my living room.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:05 PM
DENNIS C

In your reply it says you guys worked things out and your going to add it to your fleet. what happened after that??
Old 02-01-2007, 02:28 PM
slopeflyer

Fedex picked up the box, then after a week brought it back. I am kinda stumped.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:32 PM
slopeflyer

I think your confusing the quote of Tom wanting the plane back and add it to his fleet, with me wanting to return it??
Old 02-01-2007, 02:36 PM
IowaSilvia
My Feedback: (97)

Good luck with Tom. I once ordered a pair of funtana gear for my plane. After 3-4 flights the things delaminated HORRIBLY. I took several pics and sent them to him. He ordered me to send them in for inspection to see "IF" it was my fault or his. But noted that he had a bad batch and had several delams during that time.

I wasn't about to spend my $$ to send it back to him, just so he can tell me that it was my fault or that it is his. 3 cake landings and the gear splits. ***. So I said I'd take more pics but didn't feal it was neccesary to send a $25 pair of gear back. With shipping it would be even more.

He retorted back and said no refund or exchange for you...................

Good luck. If I had unhappy customers, I sure would go out of my way to make things right. And if I had prior knowledge of faulty equipment I would immediately contact customers and send them new sets.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:39 PM
DENNIS C

ORIGINAL: slopeflyer

I think your confusing the quote of Tom wanting the plane back and add it to his fleet, with me wanting to return it??
Ok gotta yea now.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:52 PM
slopeflyer

Do you want this back or not Tom?
Old 02-21-2007, 10:38 PM
slopeflyer

The kit was received by Tom on Feb 9. He did not pay to ship it back as he had agreed to. I spent $110 CDN to ship it back. The wood bundle Tom mentiones was not included with the kit. To this day I have received no refund.

The email from Tom Taylor,

The package was delivered yesterday. The contents were intact which was surprising considering the condition of the box. The stick bundle is missing but it’s not a big deal. I was surprised at the amount of bowing on the inner part of the wing panel, but it will be an easy fix. The apparent damage to the other parts that you described (primer missing, sheeting missing) were in areas that are to be trimmed off during the building process…but there is no way that you could have known that.

I will send you a personal check for $639.88 (399.95 for the kit, 14.95 for the horn set, 125.00 for the sheeting, 49.99 for shipping X 2). If you would rather receive the funds via PayPal I can issue a refund today but you will be responsible for the fees.

-Tom Taylor (owner, fiber-lite)

www.fiber-lite.com
Old 02-24-2007, 11:49 PM
TT2
My Feedback: (13)

I know this has been a real headache for Slopeflyer. It could not have come at a worse time...I have been travelling during the week away from home and the shop. The shop is getting ready to move, and there is no one else to take care of any customer issues...just me. During this whole catastrope, Slopeflyer has been extremely patient while the avalance of worst-case scenarious tried to bury both of us. FedEx International Ground (FIG) dropped the ball, my email responses to Slopeflyer have been delayed due to me being away, the list goes on. What Slopeflyer didn't do was act like a total jackass like one of my previous customers has...and, as can be witnessed in this particular thread, continues to do. I've had two or three 'bad' customers out of nearly one thousand...not a bad record.

OK, now it's CYA time.

The full refund was issued on Feb 10 via PayPal as instructed by slopeflyer. Slopeflyer took it upon himself to ship using a MUCH more expensive carrier (like 3 times as much) than the one he was instructed to use...FedEx International Ground (FIG). FIG screwed up and redelivered the kit to his house, then Slopeflyer and FIG had some other miscommunications...I had no control over this. Matter of fact, I couldn't even get in touch with FIG Canada from this side of the border. Numerous calls and emails on my part went unanswered.

In addition to paying for the refund, shipping both ways, I also get to pay the customs broker fees, duties, etc which amount to around $200. I just can't pay for the additional shipping costs that Slopeflyer incurred. I believe that I wasn't responsible for his choice of carriers and he didn't contact me with a shipping estimate beforehand. Sorry, I have to stand firm on this. I'm out about $300 total on this deal plus my time. Will that make things more expensive for future customers? You bet it will. I don't make much money on this stuff but I don't do it for free either.

Service, Quality, Cost. You get two of them, I get one. You want customer service that will make you feel like a baby in it's mothers arms? You're going to pay a premium in terms of lower quality or higher prices. I try to deliver high quality at a reasonable price...this time a few parts suffered what I would consider to be minor damage. I can't afford to staff someone full-time to take phone calls and answer emails...I have to handle this largely by myself. Sometimes mistakes happen and for the majority of situations a simple and quick solution is implemented. This sale just turned sour. It's not Slopeflyers fault, It's not the end of the world, it's not the end of the fiber-lite Edge 540. It is, however, the end of any pre-sheeted kits or shipments outside the good ol' USA.

We're getting ready to ramp up the second production run of these kits so they may not be available until the shop is relocated. Sorry for the delay.

And now for the good news:

New kits are in the works...a 35-ish% IMAC / 3D kit is being developed due to the large number of pilots requesting a larger plane. We can't tell you any specifics yet...only that it's NOT going to be an Edge...or an Extra...or a Cap...or a Yak...or a Laser...or a Katana...or a Staudacher...or a Giles...or a Zlin...or a Chipmunk...or most likely anything else you've heard of. It IS a new (very new), real, full scale aerobatics plane that has all the makings for a fantastic RC plane. The construction will be very similar to the Edge (go with what works, right?) with no exterior lightening holes, lots of sheeted foam, very stiff and strong yet extremely light. We're planning on using a ZDZ80 and single servos per aileron to keep the weight, complexity, and costs down. Should be VERY light...we'll see. The prototypes should be flying this summer...time willing. We'll put it in the hands of some of the USA's best pilots and see what happens.

-Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.