Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Flyfalcons getting back into the 50cc game - BME/PAU Edge

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Flyfalcons getting back into the 50cc game - BME/PAU Edge

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flyfalcons getting back into the 50cc game - BME/PAU Edge

For a while I've said that 50cc planes contain the most performance and excitement per dollar invested, but I've been without a 50cc plane for over two years now (Since I moved from Seattle and left my Midwest Extra behind). I had my Brison 3.2 (off the Midwest) sitting patiently in my storage room, and had the itch to get another 50cc machine primarily for 3D and other low, exciting aerobatics. Since arriving in Greensboro I've flown a couple 50cc machines that were good, but not quite what I was hoping for in terms of good aerobatic and 3D performance. Based on a recommendation from a friend back home, I made the decision to become the owner of a new BME/PAU Edge 30%. So far, I'm glad I did! I got the Version II Edge with the hardware pack, and am looking forward to getting it in the air.

I received this 85" ARF yesterday and have been doing some work on it in hopes of having it ready for flight when the weather warms up here. The kit arrived in two packages, each double-boxed, and all the parts were in great shape. One of the balsa fuse belly stringers was pushed in, but a little CA and a small piece of 1/16" ply straightened that right out. Immediately I could tell this plane has a much bigger look than other 50cc planes I've flown. I was initally worried about the larger size of this plane for my Brison 3.2, but this thing is light! Even with a removable stab, two-piece wing, and hatch, I have a feeling this plane will end up lighter than my Midwest Extra. I don't have an accurate scale but I was very impressed with how light the parts are. The carbon gear and wing tubes are great! Very lightweight and good quality. The wing tube was a little bit of a tight fit in the wing sockets, but working the tube in and out a couple times brought it to an acceptable level. The stab tube was a perfect fit. I love the mounting method of the stabs; the ply root tabs have got to be the best way to keep the stabs tight against the fuse sides. Additionally, the stabs have anti-rotation dowels, so these things are not going to move at all! In the pics you can see the stabs mounted against the fuse sides, with the elevator horns installed and surfaces hinged. A small gap was needed to achieve full throw, but that will be sealed with covering before flight. That's the work that I've been able to do on it in the last two days, but as I take care of some other things on my schedule I hope to have more time to work on the Edge in the near future.

I also just received a new digital camera; a Canon SD800 IS ELPH, and I'm in love with it already! Here are some pics I have of getting started with assembly of this ARF. Looking forward to getting more work done on it soon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75897.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	611814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88644.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	611815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34265.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	611816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un34075.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	611817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf51876.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	611818  
Old 02-01-2007, 09:41 PM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Flyfalcons getting back into the 50cc game - BME/PAU Edge

Congrats on the plunge!!! I have the 330 and am pleased with it. Keep up the posts.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:58 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh man, you are going to LOVE this plane. I just got through telling Steve in a PM how much I like my BME Edge II. Mine has ZDZ 50 in it. It flies soooo well. It will do anything you want and does it very well. So you made a good choice. There's a huge thread on this ARF and if you have any questions, just PM me. I can help out.

A few of us took off the rainbows, not a must but it does look better IMO.

Name:	Rp44066.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	611859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81656.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	611860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55321.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	611861  
Old 02-01-2007, 11:28 PM
Flyfalcons

Thanks guys, I'll be sure to let you know if I have any questions. I have to say that this ARF is one of the most complete I have seen in quite a while. I was looking at what I need to get for it and it isn't much - some rudder cable, a spinner, a pilot, and not a whole lot else really. Then again I am coming fresh off of my first scratch build in a while (A Jerry's Outlaw) so maybe I'm still in awe over finished components right out of the box, but the more I look at this plane the more I'm eager to get it in the air.

Also, even though I looked at the direction of the gear, I somehow still managed to put it on backward for the first couple photos. I've since installed the the correct way and it looks mucho better.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:42 PM
JoeAirPort

Oh regarding that gap in the elevators, no biggie. I always do that. I will put as big of a gap as necessary to get the 50 degree throws I usually want. The reward is some really nice waterfalls. It flips right around nice and tight. And like you, I seal my hinges, nobody sees the gap.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:59 PM
Flyfalcons

Not only that but this will be the first gasser I've done that is set up primarily for 3D. With my other large IMAC aircraft, I had always set them up primarily as an IMAC machine, and had taken a hit in 3D performance. I've learned to work around that with my 2.6 Extra, but this Edge will allow me to have a plane where I don't feel guilty about spending the entire flight on the prop or practicing inverted harriers. I'm sure it will fly precision as well but the CG will be in more of a 3D position. Plus, it's a 50! They sip gas. I love that part. I'm also going to go with Fromeco batteries on this plane, as I haven't tried them before. I think this plane has the biggest ailerons of any plane I've owned as well - should make for a blinding roll rate.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:01 AM
CollectivelySpaced
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ryan, you should totally leave the rainbows on - it will make it lighter and roll faster. You should also wear some spandex shorts while you fly it for the full effect [8D]
Old 02-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Flyfalcons

Okay Chris I'll leave the rainbows on just for you. I'll find a neon sweatband to wear as well.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:07 AM
CollectivelySpaced

Don't forget the leg warmers...
Old 02-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Flyfalcons

Okay I better stop now. Off to do the ailerons!
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2007, 11:21 AM
CollectivelySpaced

okay you win lol.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Flyfalcons

One thing that has made hardware installation a little difficult is the thread coating on the control horns. While it provides for a tight fit against the M4 bolts, it is nearly impossible to thread the horns on in one shot. To prevent frustration and possible damage to the ailerons, I decided to take an M4 bolt and thread all the remaining horns so they will be be easier to install on the control surfaces. To do this, I threaded the bolt in and out a little at a time, as well as reversing the horn and threading from the other side. This prevents the thread coating from building up on the bolt threads. In this picture you can see one horn being threaded, and you can also see the thread coating on the second horn. Again, pre-threading these horns does not seem to introduce any play in the threads.

Name:	Fd91598.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	612070  
Old 02-02-2007, 11:41 AM
CollectivelySpaced

I had a similar problem with the gold hangar9 aluminum horns. The coating made it very difficult to get the horn on the servo and I ended up using the screw to push it on. Once it was in place it was a good tight fit and later removals were not a big deal.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:11 AM
3D Joy

Why not simply using a tap???
Old 02-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Flyfalcons

A tap would work too but I don't have an M4 tap and wasn't expecting to have to use so much force on the control horns. Tapping them with the bolt worked fine and they have no slop on the surface. I got some more work done on the Edge in the last couple days but I'm sick as a dog today so I should probably avoid making a huge mistake while working on the plane today.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:20 PM
Flyfalcons

Man, as much as I like being a pilot, it sucks being away with a brand new Edge waiting to be built! I just got back from training yesterday and have made a little progress on the Edge today. I bought a pilot yesterday (1/4 scale) and installed it in the cockpit, printed a panel and glued it in place, and just glued the firewall into place. While the cockpit setup is really up to your discretion, the firewall needs to be mounted in a specific fashion. Pay close attention to the instructions! I decided to mark the center lines for the engine mounting bolts before gluing the firewall onto the engine box, and it made it pretty easy to do. Just remember to offset the vertical line 5mm to the left (looking from the back) so your spinner will line with the the cowl. Spinner alignment isn't quite as important on an Extra, because of the large hole in the cowl, but the Edge has an extension on the cowl that is supposed to line up perfectly with the spinner.

Also make sure to follow the instructions and glue the right side of the firewall 5mm back from the front of the engine box. This will give you three degrees of right thrust, which should be just about right for this plane. My Brison is too short to be mounted directly to the firewall, so I'll be making some standoffs out of dowel (like I did with my Midwest Extra). Right now the epoxy for the firewall is curing and there's tape everywhere holding it in place, so not a great opportunity for a picture right now.

Regarding the pilot, 1/4 scale does look a little small in this plane so I made a spacer from balsa wood to sit the pilot up a little higher. His shoulders (102mm) look a little narrow in the cockpit but once the canopy is on it should look pretty good. Also, once I glue the canopy on and remove the hatch, I'll be drilling from the bottom and bolting the pilot in place for a little extra security. This plane is starting to look great!
Old 02-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any progress?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:45 PM
Flyfalcons

For those not in the know, this last month has been quite busy for me, but in a good way . I recently was offered a position at a company that I consider to be a dream job and a career position, so I have been pretty busy getting everything together in anticipation for a move across the country and starting a new job. However, before I leave NC I am going to do everything I can to get the Edge in the air for a final RC party with my friends. I had a couple days available this week to make some progress on the Edge, and it's looking great! Tomorrow I will order the last of the remaining items I need (stupid hotel internet won't get me into secure sites), and when I get home (hopefully tomorrow) I should be able to wrap up the rest of the stuff that doesn't require the final parts. I'll post more pics tomorrow, along with my thoughts on each part of the build process, but I have to say right now that I'm just as impressed with this plane as I was when I first took it out of the box. Here's a picture of it with the Brison engine mounted, cowl cut, and wheel pants in place. Please note that the cowl will be positioned permanently when I get the spinner. You can also see the elevator servos installed with the BEEFY aluminum/carbon hardware in place. More on the progress report tomorrow, time for me to get some rest for my 5:00am report tomorrow.

Name:	Ig13748.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	647000  
Old 03-21-2007, 08:50 PM
Flyfalcons

One last thing I forgot to mention, this plane easily fits in my Subaru WRX with the elevators removed. Not having to drag a trailer to the field to enjoy scale aerobatic flying? Sweet! [8D][sm=shades_smile.gif][sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 03-21-2007, 09:30 PM
Dan767
My Feedback: (19)

Ryan,

Just put that thing in a box, send it to me, and I'll have it all trimmed out for you when you get home! Polar Bear is April 14th... I'll get a little practice in ...
Old 03-22-2007, 09:21 AM
JoeAirPort

You are in for a treat when you get this thing is the air. After a year of flying it I can't wait to get out there this spring. Usually I want to sell a plane after that long...not this one. What does that tell you about it? It's a keeper.

If you need any pic's of anything on my build let me know....I took a ton of them.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:52 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hold on you lot, did someone say the hardware is threaded M4? and not this stupid only used in one country 4-40 or some such. No offence.

Mike
Old 03-22-2007, 10:01 AM
JoeAirPort

I believe just the horns and pushrods.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:17 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sweet man!
Old 03-22-2007, 01:44 PM
Flyfalcons

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Hold on you lot, did someone say the hardware is threaded M4? and not this stupid only used in one country 4-40 or some such. No offence.

Mike

The control horns are M4 threaded, everything else in the kit is SAE. With the amount of tinkering I do on helicopters (all metric), I wouldn't have minded seeing all metric hardware on this plane. No biggie though, since I have both sets of tools anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.