Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

WRAM Show

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Leardriver
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRAM Show

Well guys it sure seems that ever year the WRAM is becoming smaller and smaller. While there was certainly a ton of E products (a good thing in general) there was an absence of manufacturers that cater to the larger models that seem to be growing in popularity. Only Desert Aircraft and Jtec were on hand in the aerobatic arena. There were a few others that have plans (Ziroli) and such, but for the most part it was DA and JTEC........and I have to applaud their continued efforts to support the modelers in the northeast. It is just ashame when company's like Aircraft International (east coast 3W importer) and RC Showcase (ZDZ) don't even bother when the show is in their own backyard. AI is in NJ and RC Showcase is in MD, yet DA manages to come all the way from AZ and JTEC from NC. These are not the only obvious absences but to me it is just unbelievable that they do not deem the largest R/C show in the NE worthy of attendence. The less these players support the "local" events the less likely it is that the event will continue to exist.

Another notable absence was Horizon Hobbies (JR). Great Planes managed to come and have a nice display with plenty of notable reps on hand to answer questions on the new equipment (or old). Perhaps I am being a little too critical, but it just seems that these other manufactures have come to the conclusion that attending the show simply isn't worth their time and effort and in the end they don't get enough out of it, yet guys like DA, Jtec, and Great Planes continue to show support. Well for what it is worth....I will always take that into consideration when making a decision about spending my $$$. Of course every company has X amount of money to spend on this type of "advertising" every year, but it appears that the NE is becoming less "worthy" of attention by these company's. Well personally I appreciate the effort of those that do come and attend the WRAM show and will do my best to reward their efforts when the time comes to spend my $$.

This thread isn't intended to be a rant or anything, but more commentary on what I saw yesterday at the show in general. If the manufacturers stop coming than the show is gonna become little more than a glorified swap meet. Perhaps when you deal with someone you saw at the show tell them that you saw them there and appreciate the opportunity to see their products first hand and/or talk with them face to face. Let them know it makes a difference. Obviously the bottom line is just that...the bottom line, but when those that have decided that the WRAM show isn't worth attending feel it in loss of market share, they may rethink attending the show.

I think if we want the WRAM show to continue to be an event worth attending we need to show our support to those that make the effort. Thanks again to those people who made the trek to White Plains this year. For what it is worth...you'll be hearing from me and my credit card in the future.

PaulP
Old 02-25-2007, 06:20 PM
plaster93
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: WRAM Show

Well said Paul, hopefully the manufacturers are listening !
Old 02-25-2007, 07:00 PM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

Given great websites there is almost no need to do any "shows" anymore. I can see what I want to from my comffy chair and not spend a weekend and a grand to go to one.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:33 PM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

But you miss the point of the show. For me the novelty is the items that are not readily seen on the internet. You walk by a booth and say 'I could really use that'. I know that I can go online and order from x & y vendors but I like to see things. There are vendors like DA that I use, but it is great to spend time with the guys and talk. That way when I call for something, they know who I am, makes a big difference in my book. Sure you go to the show and you want to buy some batteries, servos, maybe a motor. But it is the items from the smaller vendors that I missed this year. The tool guy was missing downstairs, and the lady across from Bruckners that sold velcro, sanding pads, etc. These are the people that don't come back if we do not support the show. They need our volume in traffic to make enough sales to justify their participation. So you guy's sit back and just order online, there will be no shows for us and we all lose.

I for one will continue to make the 3 hour ride if the show continues. I wish their was a Toledo like show in Boston.

R/C Foolish
Old 02-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Leardriver

Web sites are definitely a major plus! I think without one a perspective product is really at a disadvantage, but I still like to see many of the items I am spending money on...especially the high dollar items. But that is just my perspective.

PaulP
Old 02-26-2007, 07:47 AM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Paul

I am putting together another Large Project and have been talking to many of the Companies u mentioned . They told me that Costs of the show was something they didn't want to pickup. One mentioned Fees and Hotel costs another mentioned lack of sales. Just passing this along for ur info.

Did u sell the 3.3M?

Ian
Old 02-26-2007, 09:57 AM
Leardriver

Hi Ian,

Yea I know how expensive it is to attend an event like the WRAM show, but you can't measure the worth by what you sell right there on the spot....it is the sales that come thoughout the year because they saw your product or got to talk to the venders. It is also a chance for the venders to "explain" to you why you invest in their product over competitions...especially if you are the new guy on the block. Anyway, I really hope that venders come back to the WRAM show in general. The modelers in the NE really look forward to it every year....especially when it's 20 degrees outside and we are either planning our new project or working to finish one up. Either way many of us walk in with a shopping list or a list of items to look for. Whatever the motivation...as I said earlier.....I will do my best to support the vendors that support us here in the NE.

I sold the Yak about 2 weeks ago to a gentleman in Cincinatti. Did you order a new one yourself?

PaulP
Old 02-26-2007, 12:01 PM
edgeman55
My Feedback: (25)

One by one these shows are going bye/bye.Up in the Northwest the show has moved and word is if attendance is down that will be gone.The AMA show in LA from what I hear has less vendors also.Trouble is that bang for the buck there really is no pay back for attending these shows.To the people who attend it seems like it is crowded and that may be true.But that is a drop in the bucket to how many can and will access info from there website.Also because of places like here at RCU info on what works and what does not gets out faster then ever.Besides 99% of us can't attend these shows because of where they are held and the sellers know this.I doubt in a few years we will see these type of shows anymore.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Leardriver

...which is why it is so important to support the guys that actually attend the event. So that they come back next year.

PaulP
Old 02-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Vote with your money, I have with DA and Jtec, both of who have excellent service and go the extra mile because their heart is in it.
At least one of the others mentioned will never get mine again!!
Old 02-26-2007, 08:18 PM
edgeman55

ORIGINAL: Leardriver

...which is why it is so important to support the guys that actually attend the event. So that they come back next year.

PaulP
So I should support these guys so you and a small amount of others can go to a show?I think you missed my point for most of us it is too costly to go to these shows.I use to go down to Los Angeles to the AMA show.It cost me airline tickets,Hotel costs and meals.Man thats money I can put into the hobby or take my family on a vacation.Everything I saw at the show was what I could see on the internet.And really no one was giving great deals on there products.I would rather see the retailer not have to keep there costs up to go to such shows and pass what they save off to the buyers.Oh well just my two cents for what ever that is worth.I just don't see the up side to these shows other then going to OOH and AAH the goodies.I still think the future is bleak for these type get togethers.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:32 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

I just don't see the up side to these shows other then going to OOH and AAH the goodies.I still think the future is bleak for these type get togethers.
And that is where the hobby is going......
Old 02-26-2007, 10:19 PM
Smokey
My Feedback: (16)

It's nice to walk around and be able to touch the merchandise before you buy. You can also ask the dealer a question and get the answer right there. Can't do that online. Why do people go to boat and car shows. You go to look around, not necessarily to buy. Just go for the experience. Online can't give you that.

Smokey
Old 02-26-2007, 10:26 PM
R/C Foolish

Last month I went to the Concord Skyhawks Auction, during the event, they thru Futaba, Horizon, JR t-shirts, hats and other misc. giveaways out to the audience. When I went to a SSRCC club meeting, they had misc. GREAT PLANES items for raffle prizes. Vendors have to support our hobby, whether it is a small giveaway or coming to a Club show. Remember that the WRAM show is still a club based event. What would happpen if DA stopped their event in Tuscon? How about WARBIRDS OVER DELAWARE or FLORIDA JETS, the vendors support is important to all of these events all over the country. I might be wrong but we need their support and they have an obligation to the Hobby. Next thing you know, your local club will stop hosting it's Funfly event because it cost's too much. You don't create Goodwill from an internet web-site.
And if I sit in front of my computer and ask it what I should do to get the Db level down on my DA 50 in my Great Planes PW, it won't tell me to try a 20x12 3 bladed prop.

R/C Foolish
Old 02-26-2007, 10:38 PM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was planning on going and at our club meeting many felt it was not worth the drive (2 Hrs). Crowded, can't get close and no real deals.

Maybe it is time to move the location to another area and bring in new life, I know it means another sponsor. Why is the AMA convention held only in CA. Why not try for an East Coast location and see if the those on the other coast would like to attend. Toledo is a big draw but not the eaiset city to get to. I participate in other shows that are work related and have found the changing of venue often brings in better attendance and new life.

JimO
Old 02-27-2007, 07:12 AM
OVER WORKED

Just thought you guys would like to here the flip side of this. We have been going to the WRAM show for many years; we were there this year and will be there next. That being said, from a financial point it's a real looser. Consider just the basics of what it cost us and we're just in long island. For us the show starts a few days before it opens, we do inventory, cost, show pricing, model selection, prepare the display, rent the truck for 6 days{Wednesday to Monday, about $1200}, load the truck, and we need to be there on Thursday to set up. The booth is not free and the more room you use the more it costs, this is fine because the sponsor club has to pay for the convention site. Now even though we're local, it's too much to commute and work the show, so everyone stays in local hotels, remember we are there about an hour before it starts to about an hour after it ends each day, it's one thing to visit another to work. The guys from Brison fly down from Canada so there is some airfare to deal with as well. So six people get six rooms at around $100 each per night, times 3 nights. If you have eaten out lately then you know dinner for each will be around $50 or $300 per night, a few drinks at the bar in the hotel will tack on another $30 each. Now don't forget breakfast and lunch if you have the time to eat it. Oh and by the way most employees will not work 10 hours a day over a weekend for free so there is pay involved. Monday the truck is unloaded and returned, and it takes about a day to finish the paper work. So we are looking at about 7 days of work. The price on our models is discounted as far as we can go without sticking it to our distributors, or we would loose them. The bottom line here is that to do the WRAM show I plan on a cost of between 8-10 thousand dollars and will make about 3 thousand in sale profits for a loss of 5-7 thousand. To us, that's an acceptable amount to support the hobby. Toledo will cost twice that. More and more companies just don't think it's worth it and maybe for them it's not, we however will be there, see ya next year.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:04 AM
R/C Foolish

Ray,

Having bought several models from you at the show and then bought a few more from you after the show, I want to say THANK YOU. It is vendor's like yourself that help us and support us.

R/C Foolish
Old 02-27-2007, 08:30 AM
Chillybee
My Feedback: (3)

Over Worked,

I've seen you at the show ever since I bought my Laser 2000 and having someone there to answer my specific questions was priceless...in my opinion. We appreciate the sacrifices you make and hopefully others will follow suit.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:34 AM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Over Worked,

I agree with all you have stated. I just did a 6 hour table top display, info show and tell in DC. A big cost, though the good will and ability to meet customers one on one is "Priceless".

My thoughts, after a time a show gets a feeling of the same thing and we the consumer get complacent. Thats why I stated a change in venue might bring new and much needed life. It would take another organization to assume the duties that the WRAM people provide. BUt in the end we the consumer might benefit and you the provider could increase your sales and visability. For example, In the past many of the companies used to advertise show specials will be available over the internet, phone call etc ... for a period of time, haven't seen many do this in the last two years I went. The cost of doing business from home via a show floor has to be cheaper and would bring business that might have bought at the show to you for a second chance.

My hat is off to you for the service you provided to the many consumers that did come.

Jim
Old 02-27-2007, 11:13 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trade Show --
Man-o-man -I once setup and worked trade shows in all the major cities - these catered to different group(s) clothing manufactures , launderers ,dry cleaners ,shoe makers, on and on
new product releases were the attraction for many but basically the show was to support dealers in the area and to throw promotional parties for buying customers .
The advent of the internet has killed the "new products releases " for trade shows .
So partytime / meet n greet, really is a major part .
Some guys still love to rub shoulders and touch n feel the latest stuff - but I see trade shows as a vanishing part of the scene
I could tell lots of stories about what went on at the shows -in the 60's 70's - but this is a public forum
Even the old std - the Toledo Model show in April had some well lubricated parties.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:00 PM
edgeman55

ORIGINAL: Panzlflyer

I just don't see the up side to these shows other then going to OOH and AAH the goodies.I still think the future is bleak for these type get togethers.
And that is where the hobby is going......
I beg to differ-I feel the "hobby" is better then ever.With the advances in electronics this is a great time to be in RC.From what I have seen on reports here Wram was well represented by the electric community which is where this hobby is advancing the fastest.My buddy owns a Hobby Town and his sales are going up every year.Biggest increase is Park flyers in airborne RC.This is why the AMA is trying to address catching this growing segment of this hobby.Trade shows just are not for everyone and for those that still enjoy them thats great.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:23 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In addition to the cost involved in a trade show, the mfg also get to go home to a week's worth of work that no one did while they were at the show! So when you figure it takes say a week to get ready (little 'work' done) and a weekend of participating, that pile of 'work' is more like two week's worth! It may take a month to 'catch up'....
Old 02-28-2007, 06:10 AM
Mrt1750
My Feedback: (1)

Leardriver
Thanks for starting this post, after going to the show on friday I was very disapointed.
All of you have great points that you made but from my point of view here's my $.02 worth.

While at the show I bought an eagletree system complete, would never have bought it from any other form of advertising.
I was going to buy a ZDZ super 80 they weren't there SALE LOST. and I saw the desert aircraft 85 I will order as soon as released.
Would have bought a Comp Arf or SD model Extra if they were there but they were missing not that I need another plane. They saved me money by not being there "THANKS".

We should all support venders that support us to name a few DA, Hitec, Great plains, Maxx, they always seem to be there and willing to answer all my DUMB questions nuff said.
Thanks