Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Ziroli D-18 Twin Beech on FLOATS?????? >

Ziroli D-18 Twin Beech on FLOATS??????

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Ziroli D-18 Twin Beech on FLOATS??????

Old 02-19-2002, 12:23 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ziroli D-18 Twin Beech on FLOATS??????

Looking for any info available on possibly putting a Ziroli D-18 on Floats. I would like to here from anyone who has done this or knows of someone who has.

I have found several photos of planes and it looks like a cool project. I'm guessing around 68"-70" long floats? Anyone know where I might find plans for floats that size?

Any info at all will be helpful.

thanks,
Marty Ridner
[email protected]
Old 02-19-2002, 11:53 AM
My Feedback: (138)

OK, Ive been asking everywhere about how a D-18 flys and now I see this post. How do they fly ? Any pointers Do you know where to find any information on them for a paint scheme? I'm worried about my first one and your looking at floats. WOW!
Old 02-19-2002, 02:19 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ziroli have a really good website,including a Q&A forum.....start there with questions on floats.
Nick,I think ,there is a long thread in the history of your own column at flightlines (might be scale column,I dont go there any more),regarding the Beech design and its flyability.(Now that I think about it it might be RCO,but I dont go there any more either)
There seems to be general agreement that both the Beech and DC3 by Ziroli are really easy to fly,especially for large scale twins.
The actual Beech model used in the Ziroli promos is one built in Southern Ontario,and the builder owner says he lets new pilots fly it for the experience.....heck he even offered to let me fly it next time I,m down that way!
The G38 seems to be the engine of choice for the Beech,but I cant help but feel thats a little too much muscle,and Im probably going to use a couple of smaller gassers in mine.Id really like to use a couple of large Saito radials,but Id have to sell the farm to buy and run them!
Old 02-20-2002, 01:28 AM

Thanks Kevin, I have listed the question on the Ziroli site. Nothing yet but I'm still hoping. Any guess as to what would be required power wise with floats hanging under it? They would probably by quite a bit of extra weight and drag. Here is the web site where I found a TP4, a D-18R used by the Swiss Air Ambulance Service during the 40's on floats.

http://flieger.0catch.com/tp45.htm

Nick, Everyone keeps telling me that G-38's are more than enough power. If I'm not mistaken you got G-45 with your package deal, right? You might want to think about trading them in for a couple of G-38's. I have heard absolutely nothing bad about how these fly. Everyone says it is a great 1st twin.

I've been doing some net surfing and have found the following links showing D-18's & C-45's:

http://www.photovault.com/Link/Milit...Expeditor.html
http://www.photovault.com/Link/Milit...Expeditor.html
http://www.elite.net/castle-air/c45.htm
http://www.peachtree-city.com/CAF/a_C-45.html
http://www.airforce.dnd.ca/equip/expeditorlst_e.htm

I'm in the process of building a D-18 ( http://www.i2k.com/`mcridner ) and was looking for a set of used retracts. What I ended up getting ( well I'm going to pick it up on Sunday) is another D-18 partially built. Fuse & Stabs are 90% done, wing center section is framed. It has both Main and tail retracts installed & a pair of Q-35 engines. Now I'm going to have 2 D-18's and that got me thinking of putting one on floats. flying off the water is by far my favorite type of flying.

Marty
[email protected]
Old 02-20-2002, 01:58 AM

Marty....we do a lot of waterflying in this area,and we find the extra power useful not so much for weight and drag,but rather to break the water suction on the hull or floats on takeoff,especially when its calm,which is the same problem full size aircraft have.A well designed set of floats helps a lot as they get up on the step quickly and reduce the water drag making for easier takeoffs...
Old 02-20-2002, 02:30 AM
My Feedback: (138)

Thanks Marty! Mine gonna be baby blue with yellow wings and tail. I'm going to keep the 45's on it, dont have to fly full power but might be a plus with burn out. I Have been flying gian fore a while and am familiar with gas and find no problems there, it's just kinda different than what I had in mind for my first twin. It's kinda like beging agian if you know what I mean. I kinda wanted a DC3 for my first but this has me dancing on clowd nine!
Old 02-23-2002, 02:41 AM

I'm not getting much help here guys! You mean NOBODY has ever seen or done this one before? Now I know I have to do it!

Does anyone know of plans available for a set of 68" to 72" floats. Largest I can find is plans for 60" Cub Floats. I guess I could just enlarge them 120%.
Old 02-23-2002, 01:54 PM

MCR....You arent getting much help,cause the combination you are investigating just isnt an everyday occurence.You have one of the largest float flys in the US,right there in Southern Michigan,at Round Lake each fall.I have seen photos from that meet of a Ziroli DC3 on floats which is quite a bit bigger than the Beech.Why not get hold of the club that runs this show and see if anyone there can help you?
If you do come up with anything let us know too!
Old 02-23-2002, 04:58 PM

I know it isn't a really popular subject. Even the Standard D-18/C-45 isn't seen all that often.

The D-18R Swedish Air Ambulance I am looking at was destroyed 50+ years ago and the only photo's are in black and white. It appears that it was originally a olive drab top with a light blue underside and was later repainted all orange.

I'm not looking to build a scale competition model, just one that looks good. I emailed Wendell Hostetler and he says that they can enlarge their 60" float plans to 72", no problem.

I have imported the side photo of the D-18R into ACAD and have scaled it to match the Ziroli D-18. It won't be exact but should get me close enough. It is still looking like 72" floats will be about right.
Old 02-23-2002, 11:28 PM

I know this won't help much, but there is a guy up in Ward Cove Alaska who flys one (full scale) on floats. It is awsome! His is all polished aluminium. What I would like to see is a Helio Courrier model on floats!
Old 02-24-2002, 03:04 AM

You wouldn't know his name or company name would you?????

I've been searching the web for Ward Cove and found lots of Cesnas and Beavers being used by tour companies, but no Beech yet.

I'll start emailing some of them and see if they might be able to help locate a Twin Beech on Floats. I'm sure if there is one around there they should know about it.

Thanks,
Marty
Old 02-24-2002, 07:25 PM

Don't think he was based there. Just happened to see him as we were taxing out. Had Canadian tail numbers, that is all I remember.
Old 02-24-2002, 08:15 PM

Thanks anyway. In my searching Alaska, I ran across a D-18 on Floats for sale. They have a nice photo of it at http://www.vancouverislandair.com/ai...or%20sale.html They also show a Beech 18 with a single tail that they are currently flying in their own fleet.
Old 03-02-2002, 03:02 PM

The Beech 18 at Vancouver Island Air shows EDO #7850 floats, which I have been told are 26'2" long which comes out to 62.8" at 1/5th scale. I purchased a book called "The Immortal Twin Beech" that acutally shows a D-18 on Floats by Vancouver Island Air that say that is the first time they have used floats that long. That the floats are 33-1/2" longer that usual. That would make the standard floats come out to 56.1" long.

Thanks to several people, I was lead to Commander R/C in Canada that produces Fiberglass Floats for models. They told me they have just finished tooling up a set of 58" EDO's for Coastline Radio Controlled Models in Canada. I contacted Murry Marley of Coastline and he tells me he is also going to be putting them on a Ziroli D-18. http://www.pz.com/coastlinerc/floats.html

He will be selling them for $350us per pair and recommends See Commander's airfoil aluminum scale mounting kit. http://www.seacommander.com/newproduct1.asp The new 58" floats are different than the 58" floats shown on the web page. These are a new tool and more scale. He says that he already has 5 sets on back order and is working on detail strut installation drawings.

This is looking like my best alternative. The 60" Hostetler floats would probably work just fine also. But, after building 2 of these I might have to get away from Basla dust for a while :-)

Thanks to everyone that has helped. I never would have found these guys without you.

Marty
Old 01-26-2003, 11:42 PM

Default d-18

I am going to start building my d-18,does Any of you have a picture of yours to mail me??
I want scale retracts what kind?
color scheme?
Old 02-18-2006, 09:11 AM

Default RE: Ziroli D-18 Twin Beech on FLOATS??????

I am currently designing a set of plans for large scale edo floats for a 1/9th scale DC-3 that I manufacture. It is not a Ziroli knock off. I have in my possession a set of detailed scale drawings and plans to the floats. The floats will even have scale retractable landing gear location and eventually, I will have a custom set of gear to sell with the floats. The floats will be fiberglass. I'm sure these floats can be used on the D18. My friend here is building the Ziroli 18 and I plan on using his plan to engineer the mounting aspects of the floats to fit the D18. I would say by summers end I will have a working float kit for sale.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:57 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Ziroli D-18 Twin Beech on FLOATS??????

I just got my hands one one of these 114" d-18's that is all built and ready for engines and electronics.
Naked it only weighs about twenty pounds. I weighed just the fuselage with cockpit kit and it is 7.75 lbs.
I am thinking of a couple rcs 50cc engines for it. I need all the power I can get because I fly at 7000'.
I did not get any information with the plane so if some body could help me out with the recomended
CG and thrust angels that are required for it to fly well.
Thanks Jim