Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Dan Santich Cobra

Old 06-09-2006, 12:06 PM
jowily
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dan Santich Cobra

no I have not as of yet I was working on a zenoah gt 80 twin and could not get a

got run time before the igntion woould burn up so I sent it back 3 times and then juist ask for my $$$

back and now am working on istallling a zdz80 twin but as soon as I get this thing to balance and run

with the new engine i am going to make a movie of the maiden of which will go on to dvd keep intouch or i will for get to let you know

Jowilly[:@]
Old 06-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait, jowilly. I just now ordered my set of plans for the Cobra.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Cryhavoc
My Feedback: (46)

Wow! I'm really going to be looking forward to that! I'll check back with you later on to see how you're coming.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:49 PM
jowily

I made a PP show honoring my father who helped me with the building of the project,
he is retired and I am not so with lot s of time on his hands he offered to build just bring him
the materials and stop by each day after work and help cut out parts we did go here and check it out

http://www.sdfrc.com

click on member projects on the left side of the main web page it will take you to our clubs web site
pics of the building and finishing.

jowilly
Old 06-09-2006, 09:53 PM
jowily

I screwed up it is http://www.sdfrc.org

sorry

Jowilly
Old 05-02-2018, 01:44 PM
gary3173
My Feedback: (54)

Howd that work out. Just finishing my second one of these. First was back in the 80s with a Quadra 50, The one I hope to test later this week has a Saito Radial in it. Gary
Old 12-13-2019, 03:03 PM
ziggy138

Default Dan Santich Cobra.

I just found your reply on RCU and would like to know more about "Cobra" build and its flyability. Any help you can give me?
Old 12-13-2019, 07:16 PM
gary3173

Yes I have built and flown two of these. One had a Quadra 50 in it, in the 80s, flew it at Byron Originals Fun Fly in Ida Grove, Iowa. The second one I finished about a year and a half ago. It has a Saito Twin, do not know why the previous thread said Radial. It is a Saito 57 converted to gas. The plane flies great. Ground handling is a bit of a bear thou. I have not quite figured this problem out. I think the motor is quite high in comparison to the length. When you begin your take off run you must hold full up elevator or it will nose over. Just about time to lift off you back off the elevator at just the point before it takes off. Otherwise kiss a 22" prop goodbye. If you go to the Wyoming Flying Cowboys a picture of it was on there web sight.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:59 AM
ziggy138

Default Cobra

Thank you fast reply. You built two Cobras so you must like building and flying performance of this bird. I plan to power mine with a DLE 55 or a GT-80. Ordered plans yesterday and starting to save up to buy stort kit.
Now did you build Cobra with built up wing or foam? Also did you use foam tail or balsa? Last question for now is did your planes come out nose or tail heavy?
I believe real plane was white with green trim, but I found someone that had a white with red and orange trim model. I kind of liked white with red as it looked very easy to see in air. I am 76 and need all to help I can to see what my plan is doing up there.
Again thanks for reply and I hope you have a GREAT HOLIDAY SEASON. Ken C.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:07 PM
gary3173

I scratch built both of them. The first one I built it completely by the plans, second one I cut foam wing cores and even cut the fuse out of foam from the trailing edge back. I like building, I scratch build a lot. Scratching out a P-38 Lightning now, 100 inch, about to the covering stage. Never had any issues with balance. The DLE 55 would be plenty of power. The main landing gear are quite heavy. I would strongly suggest finding a source for some carbon fiber and use that instead of laminating 4 1/4" ply together. I would suggest that for the upper wing also. There was a fix out there suggesting the big goofy wing lets that some 3 D guys use. I had none on the first one. On the second one I did use a easy to make fowler type tip for all 4 wing tips. Basically 1/8" aircraft ply on the last rib, flush with the rib on top but hangs below the rib about a 1/4" at leading edge to about an inch at the trailing edge and going about a 1/2" farther back then the trailing edge. Bend the landing gear forward from what the plan shows, get the axle a little ahead of the leading edge. This works like a wing tip skid but more importantly it lowers the stall speed of the wing. A friend of mine in Billings MT. has one done much like the original, he did not build it and I do not think he ever flew it. It is a fairly hard build getting all the wing angles aligned is a job. Make sure and get a Robart incidence meter if you do not have one. Merry Christmas and have a great new year, I'm in my 70s also.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:45 AM
ziggy138

Default Cobra

Santich Cobra is going to be a serious challenge for me to build and a I look forward to it. It will also be a expensive undertaking as I am retired and on fixed income. I plan to sell off several older planes that I no longer fly to cover cost.
Thank you for huge help and information, plus modifications on Cobra. I hope we can continue to exchange ideas in the up coming year. I expect plans to arrive sometime in mid to late Jan. I will look into them and sincerely hope I can ask for your advice on some of the construction. There is nothing like learning from someone with experience on same project. I will probably buy a short kit, just not sure if I should get built up wing or go foam. Again THANK YOU for great reply. Ken Cigler
Old 12-16-2019, 02:10 PM
ziggy138

Default Cobra Biplane.

Gary, I found your Cobra picture on web sight. Very good build and a nice bright Yellow and checker board trim. Looks like it stands out in air. Also looks like you guys out there have some serious open space to fly in. Back here in Ohio, we in upper part of state do not have big air fields, and my club has "Big" trees all around field and they reach out and grab planes all the time. Flying late in day we need bright colors to see planes when we are landing against all the green leaves. At out club ( Mentor Area Radio Control Society) we learn how to land on short fields, sort of like Navy Carrier pilots. Our club members seldom have problems flying on other club fields, most of which are far longer than our 300 by 45 foot strip. Yes I do fly 50 -35 CC planes all the time on our air field.
Only wished I could have found video of your Cobra "in action". I think I would have enjoyed that very much. Ken C.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:32 PM
gary3173

Ken did you get my suggestion on type of engines? I sent you a Private message on this site. Gary
Old 12-16-2019, 02:38 PM
ziggy138

Default Cobra

No I did not get list. I will most likely will use a DLE 55 or something close to it in size and power. Ken C.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:10 PM
gary3173

Ken, if you are going to purchase an engine for this build, I would strongly suggest a twin 60, DLE or RCGF. Another but more expensive one would be the Saito 61 which is what I used, at least an older version of the 61 the 57.
The Cowl on the Cobra just begs for a twin. All will fit in their with no problem. Also twins are generally smoother running, and the sound of them I think is better, specially the Saito.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:50 AM
ziggy138

Cobra engine will be based on weight. If tail heavy I have a great running GT-80 twin, also if build comes out on heavy side on total weight. On the other side if plane is nose heavy, or on light side on total weight I hope to use my DLE 55. I might consider another twin engine if I can find one at a fair price. I want to use Gas engine and not a Glow one. Price of fuel just getting out of hand on Glow. I had a LoPO fire in my basement and it did minor damage, but smoke and stench of it lasted for days. I will not have another LoPo battery in my home again. Besides it takes to long to charge them and that cuts into my flying time. I just like to refuel and get back up there in minutes. I put 6-10 flights a day on my planes.
I have not received plans yet, so I do not what I am getting myself in to at this point in time. But I will build this plane come hell or high water. My last projects were a 1/4 scale WW1 Quadra plane and a 1/3 scale EEA Biplane. Looking forward to challenge this winter.
Hopefully it will keep me out of trouble, but in poor house. I appreciate all advice and help form fellow builders. We are slowly becoming an endangered species, and few newer builders joining the ranks. Too bad they do not know what joy they are missing out on.
Ken C.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:54 AM
gary3173

I understand I do not use glow anymore also. The Saito 61 I recommended is a Gas if you did not know.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:58 AM
ziggy138

Default Cobra

I did not know, I do not keep up with every new engine or what makers are selling, until I need one. I ask my fellow flyers what they are using and how well they like them. Ken C
Old 12-18-2019, 11:37 AM
gary3173

The Saito 57 I used was a glow but converted it to gas-works real good.
The Cowl I used was made by Fiberglass Specialties under Model Airplane News his number for Cowl is MAN3841 this has the cheeks molded into it in one piece.
Old 12-25-2019, 01:36 PM
ziggy138

Default cobra

Having all kinds of trouble logging in and lot of problems changing my password. Got your Christmas massage. Send you a thank you. I now have plans and will go over them in detail next few days. I think I will go with a twin 60 cc engine over a 50 cc. I fell better with more power at half throttle than flying with full throttle and just hanging in there with a underpowered plane. It also is a lot more gentle on engine and aircraft. I will try to get back to you after New Years. I most likely will be in food coma for next several days or watching too much TV to be able to think straight.Have a GREAT and SAFE New Year. Ken c.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:14 AM
ziggy138

Default Cobra Biplane

HI everyone, I have had nothing but trouble getting on this sight. Survived the New Year and over eating. Hope all is great with you.
Back to Cobre build. After talking to other club members I am going to use my old GT-80 to power it. This should take care of tail heavy problems, if any. Now question is where do I put servos for elev. and rud. Up near balance point or back by elev. to keep push rods short. Up front will help with balance and make adjustments easy, but require long push rods. I plan to use carbon fiber rods if I go this way. Locating servos in back, short 4-40 rods should work well but add more weight to tail section. I also would have two servos sticking out of sides along with servo arms to ruin scale looks. I could build hatch and hide servos inside but that would make any adjustments difficult. Any help here would be appreciated. VERY APPRECIATED.
Next problem is fuel tank location and size, and if I should add smoke tank and where to put it also. Not to much room between wings and fuselage for anything over 20 -24 Oz tank let alone a smoke pump. Looks like I could put fuel tank up front and oil tank over balance point, still thinking this one over.
I figured out how I will build lower wing over plans buy building outer wing panels first then add ply braces after marking rib locations and building a raised platform for center section.Build center section next and gull section last. This is plan for lower wing so far.
Upper wing going to problem due to gull going other way. I am thinking of building center section on raised platform first then adding ply gull brace and building outer panels and then gull. Not to sure about this as I have never built a plane with gull wings before let alone two of them.
ANY ideas or thoughts on above will be GREAT HELP. I look forward to all replies on this project. I value other builders advice and help. Thank you for your time and any help given. Ken C.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:32 AM
ziggy138

Default Cobra Biplane

No one has replied to last posting. After checking plans I found tail section to narrow to mount servo on side, only 1 3/4 inch width at last former. I will mount servos under top wing near balance point. After laying down my GT 80 on top of plans I found I will have to move engine mount back 1 inch. Now thinking a 60 to 70 cc twin or single would make a better choice and add less weight. Also newer gas engines put out more HP than my old GT 80. Keeping engine mount in original place keeps my work load down and keep more room for fuel tank and miscellaneous items like batteries. I will now start looking for new or used engine on line that I can afford.
Waiting for shipment of balsa to arrive so I can finish latest project and start my Cobra. That all for now. Ken C.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:50 AM
gary3173

Ken - I put my two elevator servos underneath the stab but just behind the leading edge of stab had to stack them one with arm down the other with arm up.
As far as Gas Tank with gas you do not need that large of a tank, gas uses half the volume of glow per minute roughly. If using a 4 stroke it is even less then that.
My rudder servo I made it a pull pull with Kevlar cables. Servo in center at rear of opening. There is plenty of room for ignition and batteries in the nose.
Not too many scratch builders anymore, and this is a little tougher then most. There was a fellow that would cut your ribs, bulkheads and such. Think out your main landing gear first, it sets a lot of the ribs, I would strongly look at carbon fibre. The plywood as it shows gets quite heavy. Make sure axles are ahead of leading edge, it likes to nose over. Gary
Old 01-26-2020, 08:08 AM
ziggy138

Default Cobra

Cobra plans I have show a one piece elev. with a short 1/2 inch dowel joiner. Did you split elev. into two and controlled each with a servo ? If so then you had to put a servo on each side of tail section and added around 3 plus oz. of weight back there. I know this would result in a very short push rod and a solid control with no play. All very good, but that 3 plus oz. would need 3 or 4 times weight up front to balance plane. It would give quick and easy adjustments with out taking plane apart, something I did not think about. More food for thought. This is why I love this form. I get different schools of thought and ways to go about something. Good thing I am still in planning and not half way into build. I do not plan to compete in scale so two servos hidden partially under elev. may be a better solution in long run for my build. This would also need two LONG servo wire extensions, not to big a problem. I could run them thru a paper tube to hold in place and make servo replacement easy job.
Next BIG problem is how to laminate carbon fibber to ply wing / landing gear support on lower wing. Do I glue to face of ply or to top of ass'y. or both. Never used the stuff before, so no experience here and definitely I am no structural engineer. Any help with a simple drawing or video on this would be huge for me.
Thanks everyone for all ideas, and PLEASE keep them coming. Ken C.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:56 AM
ziggy138

Default Cobra Biplane

Contacted kit cutter about kit. Still waiting for reply. I have figured out how to mount 2 servos in tail. Top one will work elev. and bottom one work rud. I am still leaning to working rud. with a pull- pull system and servo mounted in fuse under top wing, and one servo in tail for elev.
Still looking for engine as my GT-80 is over 1 inch to long for present firewall and not sure I want to go thru effort to move back. Newer 60-70 cc engines look like what I will use. They are lighter and most put out more power.
Until contacted by kit cuter I am making list of needed lumber so I will be ready to order at same time with kit.
That it for now. Ken C.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.