Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Dan Santich Cobra

Old 02-02-2020, 08:46 AM
gary3173
My Feedback: (54)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ken - I would recommend 2 servos for elevator in tail. Rudder - Pull Pull in rear fuse opening between wing mountings,
Old 02-03-2020, 01:13 PM
ziggy138

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I wrote, I am still in planning stage and nothing is set in stone. The elevator has a short dowel joiner on plans. I plan to use one at least double length ao I can pin it and also put a hinge point through it. With two pins on each side I am very sure it will not come lose. This way I feel both elevators will always stay at same level. I plan to use servo of at least 200 oz/in. on both elevator and rudder at 6 volt. In fact I will also use one on each aileron too.
I definitely will not use a bellcrank set up on any plane this size. Two servos are safer in case of one failing I still have some control. I also plug each servo into separate channels. Now I can have ailerons work as flaps if needed or use two separate receivers for greater safety.
This is going to be the most costly plane I have ever built so I am trying to built in every feature to insure a successful outcome. At 20 to 25 lbs. this plane has a lost of control, it could be a very dangerous object let alone expensive loss. That is why I ask for help and advice form other experienced builders. I can always learn from them. Nobody knows everything there is about building, Someone is constantly coming up with new and better way to do something. That is what is so great about this hobby. I may be an "OLD DOG" but I can learn new tricks. At least that is what I tell myself. Ken C.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:24 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Ziggy , I used to run into Dan at flying events over the years before his passing and had the pleasure of chatting with him about a few of his plans and planes over the years . I saw him fly the Cobra once . In casual conversation asked Dan about it and in typical Dan style he told me the plane can fly as good as the pilot . I took that to mean that if you have the skill it shouldn't be a problem . To me Dan was a great pilot but it looked like the Cobra was challenging him during his flight. What does this mean ? I'm also on a limited income and if I wanted a sure fire plane to fly within my physical or monetary means it wouldn't be the Cobra . It's a beautiful plane and can be flown with acceptable skills but ... It would me my all in only plane to build or fly. I don't know your building skills or flying skills . I don't mean to infer that you are not up for the challenge , but rather just giving my insight by having known the plane and the man that designed it .
Best regards.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:45 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I built this one in 1997.

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 03-05-2020 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:21 AM
ziggy138

Default Cobra biplane

Cobra biplane in picture looks great. You did a good build on that one. I would love to know what engine you had on your Cobra. Also just how sensitive the controls where in air. I am selling a few planes at local swap shops to cover cost of short kit. Still a little short on money, but will order kit hopefully in next few weeks.
Looking for all the help on construction and control set up by other builders in hopes of not building myself in to construction problems. I plan to build Cobra with a wood wings, not foan. I have never built a foam wing and this is not the plane to start with a totally new technique in construction.
Good to know their are many others out there who also like and did build this unique plane. Thanks for picture as it is helping to keep me inspired to build my dream plane. Ken C.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:44 AM
sensei

I put a G-62 in mine, as long as you nail the C/G and keep your Cobra light, it is tame to fly.

bob
Old 03-06-2020, 11:16 AM
ziggy138

Default Cobra Biplane

I thank you for reply. I will most likely use a 60 cc gas engine myself. I plane to beef up top and bottom wings with extra carbon fiber square rods and full length sheer webs. I do not like "short" 1/4 inch ply going only one bay into outer wings. Just looks weak to me. I will glass wing joints also. A DLE or RCCG 60 gaser looks to be in power and price range for me.
Not sure if I will go scale color scheme or something else, have not worked that out as plane is not even started. Good thing is I have a Factory sponsored Giant Scale Racer, world champion, who will test fly it for me and trim it out. I am in my late 70's and will take all help I can get. I do not plan to fly wild, simple rolls and loops more my speed and skill level. Thumbs not so fast anymore, so I fly conservative now. I find it saves me a ton of money and time repairing things.
Again thank, you and I hope to learn how to upload pictures soon, as I want to do a on line build in forms. Ken C.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:30 PM
bjr_93tz

Here's mine from the mid 90's. Weighed just over 18lbs with a piped Supertigre 3000 spinning an 18x8 prop.

Probably could have done with more nose weight (??) but it was the weirdest plane I've flown. Knife-edges were a dream but just weird on the pitch. Hard to describe almost like sometimes it was flying on the bottom wing, other times it was flying on the top wing. Maybe the incidence angles were a bit screwy and the wing loading a bit light to really load up both wings??

The 2nd hand Supertigre 3000 was a bit iffy at the best of times and, it probably got flown 50 times in it's lifetime before rotting away in my shed and ending up in the bin.

The following users liked this post:
sensei (09-27-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 06:40 AM
ziggy138

Default Cobra biplane

Just got your reply today. That is one good looking model. Thanks for the information and pictures. This reply has kick started my inspiration to order semi kit in next few weeks. Have 2 tables at swap shop in early October and if I sell one or more planes I will have money to buy kit, and with any luck a motor too. Maybe I will find a good used engine at swap shop and can make a trade for it.
I plan to use this winter to build it as I am still trying to stay at home as much as possible due to virus and my age. Stocking up on supplies,glue and balsa for long building season. Again thank you for pictures and help. Ken C.