Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Planes Plus 34% Extra catastrophic wing failure

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Planes Plus 34% Extra catastrophic wing failure

Old 05-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Hooked-On-RC
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planes Plus 34% Extra catastrophic wing failure

Gents,
I know I have read somewhere on these forums about the Planes Plus 34% Extra having a catastrophic wing failure well the same thing happened to me Saturday. On the 8th flight, (yes that is eight...8) flying straight and level the left wing snapped off the plane and fluttered its way slowly to the ground while the rest of the plane tumbled in pretty hard. I bascially tried everything to save her but all I could was cut the throttle, kill the engine and watch her dive to her death.

Upon post mortem we noted the leading edge of the wing was torn open just like it was sliced with a knife right on the top side of the leading edge. So my guess is that the covering may have torn back and then pulled the balsa sheeting with it. I read in advance of flying this plane about re-ironing the covering down before flying which I did twice. Secondly we noted that there was very little glue holding the sheeting to the wing ribs as well as litle to no glue holding the sheeting to teh wing spar. Interestingly enough there was a lot of glue holding thw ing tube socket in place. I think most of the on board components survived however I will send them all in to be checked. My DA ignition module was destroyed and 1 cooling fin on one cylinder is bent but I think for the most part the DA100 is okay.

It was a great flying aircraft and although it was not the lightest 34% plane out there it appeared to be built pretty well. Now the sucky thing about this is the fact I bought it from Planes Plus in Illinois, which is no longer in business and nor is Chip Hyde which purchased their ARF's from the same manufacturer in China. Any idea who built these planes for Planes Plus? Any information would be a great help.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Hooked
Old 05-07-2007, 01:34 PM
azhar
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: Planes Plus 34% Extra catastrophic wing failure

Check with Aeroworks. They do carry their ARFs.

Azhar
Old 05-07-2007, 02:07 PM
T. Bob
My Feedback: (9)

Thats happing to a lot of them I know guys putting wood gussets inside the wing on the leading edge. This seems to work.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:09 PM
rmh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless Aeroworks made some very strange contract with the kit manufacturer -you are simply on your own.
you can try to take legal action against the party from whom you purchased the model
However , expecting others to step up and assume liability is a big stretch.
FWIW- in the real world --when a company/corp/ whatever -sells their business - they sell it according to a well known contract -
which says -- "selling assets- and (or NOT) any liabilities." a lot of other legal points too but in the case of many of these current ARF model sales outfits --it is all very likely that the person who sold it - simply washed his hands of it and you -- are on your own.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:28 AM
KatManDEW
My Feedback: (6)

Thats happing to a lot of them I know guys putting wood gussets inside the wing on the leading edge
Can you describe this a littler further? I have one of these electric powered, with 10 flights, and I'm worried [X(]
Old 07-16-2007, 10:37 AM
Hooked-On-RC
My Feedback: (16)

Basically what they do is glue additional pieces of wood inside the wing connecting the leading edge to the wing sheeting and the wing ribs, however you will have to remove the covering and get inside the wing to do this properly.

Three suggestions if you do not want to do that:

1) Get a telescoping mechanics mirror and a flashlight and have a look inside your wing to see how much glue is there and inspect the inside of the wings. I will do this to any ARF's I buy in the future but right now I am purchasing ARC versions if they are available or building myself.
2) Remove and recover both wings with another brand of covering. The Chinakote used on these planes is notorious for peeling back and some guys have even said they re-iron the covering down after each and every flying day!
3) Order up a new set of foam core wings, there was a supplier that was making direct replacement wing sets for the 34% Planes Plus Pro Series airplanes due to a large number of wing failures found with this plane.

Good Luck