Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Switches

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Scott S.
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switches

I'm putting together my first 1/3 scale bird and have a question about the different types of switches out there. I will be using two Rx batteries for redundancy (actually nose weight). I will also be using two analog servos and 6 digitals on this bird. My friend who is an electrical engineer is creating a isolator for me, so the only thing I have left to do is find two really good switches. I've looked at Radio Shack and some other places and the smallest micro switch I can find is 15A at 125AC. Does anyone know of another source for micro switches that I could use? I'm looking for a SPDT with center neutral.

Another option is to use the Fromeco Wolverine switch that would take care of all my problems or two MPI switches.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:21 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Switches

The Wolverine is a clean simple and light way to go, it fails in the on and keeps your batteries balanced, so how much better does it get.

Bob
ORIGINAL: Scott S.

I'm putting together my first 1/3 scale bird and have a question about the different types of switches out there. I will be using two Rx batteries for redundancy (actually nose weight). I will also be using two analog servos and 6 digitals on this bird. My friend who is an electrical engineer is creating a isolator for me, so the only thing I have left to do is find two really good switches. I've looked at Radio Shack and some other places and the smallest micro switch I can find is 15A at 125AC. Does anyone know of another source for micro switches that I could use? I'm looking for a SPDT with center neutral.

Another option is to use the Fromeco Wolverine switch that would take care of all my problems or two MPI switches.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:16 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's all in what you want to spend. Are you looking for style over function? Then a switch with a fancy appearence is the way to go. Is function take priority over form? The simple high qulaity DSC switches are the direction to take. A Cermark DSC switch at $16.00 will last as long and be just as effective as a much more expensive product. It's back to what you desire.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:26 PM
sensei

I don't think bling comes into play here, first you would need two DSC switches; now your up to $32.00 to be on functional level with the wolverine switch, and you would have twice the weight with no battery balancing feature or fail in power on mode. It is kind of like comparing an old McCoy 35 With a new OS Hyper 50......

Bob
Old 05-17-2007, 11:47 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was not aware of any internal cell balancing technology with this switch. Perhaps I have failed to fully read the description of functions on the Fromeco website. My last slide type switch from Fromeco was a Badger. Does the Wolverine switch also support on/off functions for more than one battery?

Don't misunderstand me in thing that price is the driving force here since I generally only use Fromeco pin switches that also fail to a on position. However, I've never had a switch fail of any type that was made by a reputable manufacturer and installed in a reasonable manner. That's been a whole lot of switches of all types.

I still say it comes back to form or function. Many types of switches will do the job effectively and for an extended period of time. One first needs to determine what their exact needs are and move forward from there.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:23 AM
randy racer
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fromeco all the way, function and a little bling bling.

randy
Old 05-18-2007, 06:40 AM
sensei

The Wolverine does support two batteries in and two regulators out, upon request it can even come already setup for three regulators out. It really is a lot of bang for the buck.
ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

I was not aware of any internal cell balancing technology with this switch. Perhaps I have failed to fully read the description of functions on the Fromeco website. My last slide type switch from Fromeco was a Badger. Does the Wolverine switch also support on/off functions for more than one battery?

Don't misunderstand me in thing that price is the driving force here since I generally only use Fromeco pin switches that also fail to a on position. However, I've never had a switch fail of any type that was made by a reputable manufacturer and installed in a reasonable manner. That's been a whole lot of switches of all types.

I still say it comes back to form or function. Many types of switches will do the job effectively and for an extended period of time. One first needs to determine what their exact needs are and move forward from there.