Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

How do I remove graphics?

Old 05-20-2007, 12:55 PM
fishgod
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I remove graphics?

I have pretty exclusively been flying pattern the last 4 years and started to get the itch to fly IMAC again. A club member has a Composite ARF Extra 330 that he sold me turn key. It has a few graphics that I would like to remove without damaging the skin or anything else. Any ideas? I was thinking of using the old bumper sticker removal trick of lighter fluid. Any sure fire ways? your help would be appreciated.

Michael
Old 05-20-2007, 02:00 PM
zzw26n
My Feedback: (45)

Default RE: How do I remove graphics?

Michael,

You'll want to get a Hangar 9 type heat gun, low/high. Set for low and begin to warm up the graphics and try to get one side started. Keep your hand somewhat close to the heat, it burns you and it will burn the plane. Should peel off once warmed and your pulling at the same time. Take your time and you'll get a feel for how much heat and pressure.

regards, Ward
Old 05-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Jonathan Ott
My Feedback: (25)

Mike,

Remember, Compy's are painted in the mold and a lot of the graphics are internal to the paint. If they are vinyl graphics that are applied on top of the paint, a little heat and a lot of patience goes a long way. If it is purely under the paint, learn to love what 'ya got

Jon
Old 05-20-2007, 08:08 PM
rm
My Feedback: (27)

Vinyl tools from a sign shop make removing graphics fairly easy.

http://www.signwarehouse.com/TT-VR-p-HT-SRPR-BH5.html

http://www.signwarehouse.com/FL-RE-p...YLOFF-8OZ.html
Old 05-20-2007, 11:26 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have your ever owned a composite, painted in the mold plane? You wouldn't do that to the side of a high gloss, injection molded fiberglass boat would you?
Old 05-21-2007, 12:40 AM
fishgod
My Feedback: (13)

I have had composite pattern ships but never put any graphics on them. There are just a few graphics on the extra that I would like to remove. After using a bit of heat to remove the vinal what do you use to remove the residue glue.

Michael
Old 05-21-2007, 03:41 AM
rm
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

Have your ever owned a composite, painted in the mold plane? You wouldn't do that to the side of a high gloss, injection molded fiberglass boat would you?

Yes I have, that's all I fly is composite planes. The blades are plastic, they don't scratch. Used it several times. I sure wouldn't heat it.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:32 AM
jbflier

Any light naptha product like OOPS, GOOP, or lighter fluid should remove the adhesive residue without harming your covering...........[8D]
Old 05-21-2007, 06:11 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

You don't need a heat gun - a simple hair dryer will do. You will be suprized how little heat it takes to remove vinyl, to the point that you will wonder why it doesn't just fall off on those hot summer days. As for the residue, I usually don't have any, at least not when removing them from monokote. If you do have some, lighter fluid should do the trick.