Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Brent Good Custom Airframes 50cc Yak 54

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Brent Good Custom Airframes 50cc Yak 54

Old 03-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Stick Bender

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brent Good Custom Airframes 50cc Yak 54

Well it appears to be air worthy. It flew (very nicely) and landed without incident. I did have a close call on my first approach, I've never landed a Yak and it slows way faster than the Extra did. I just about stalled it at the end of the runway and the engine was rich so it almost didn't rev up fast enough to save me, whew, close call.

I was really nervous on the first 2 very short flights, the wind died down and the sky turned blue. I checked it over, retightend the new prop. Everything looked fine. The third flight I actually flew it. On trim it took one click down and one click right aileron, not bad for just eyeballing my trims. Knife edge was easy, there was still a breeze so if there was coupling there was so little I couldn't tell. I don't think I will need any mix for knife edge (which I needed on my little Extra)

A slight error was made when I made my original CG marks and they were off a tad. I'm probably tailheavy by 1/16 maybe an 1/8. It is dead neutral inverted and climbs on an inverted 45° upline. Looks like the batteries will wind up right up front with the engine. Supposed to be nice tomorrow, I may or may not relocate the batteries before I fly it tomorrow, we'll see how I feel in the morning (not happening tonight)

So, Yeah! I'm impressed and very happy! She flies great already and when I fix the cg it's going to be a dream. It is so much more stable than my Extra 260.

I didn't try high rates but low are very close to what I like, this is the first plane I ever built and my biggest, to say I was nervous would be an understatement. With a few more carb tweaks I might try some 3d tomorrow. Possibly not, I'm just learning 3D and I would not want anything to happen to it.

I took some pictures after flying, I put "temporary" stripes on the cowl (cut some out of the vinyl to save the originals in case I repaint cowl) After all the compliments I received the cowl may just stay like it is, no one seemed to think it needed repainted.

I'll put the pictures up tonight or tomorrow, looks the same except for the stripes on the cowl which just turn down at the end like a birds beak.

With all the vinyl on it, longer prop bolts and springs for the tailwheel. the AUW dry was 16 pounds 9 ounces. I weighed it at the field and it was 17 even w/ approx half a tank.

The more I think about it the more I realize the only thing that bothers me is the CG issue, good chance I will fix it tomorrow just to see how awesome this thing really is, I already know it's going to be my new favorite.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Brent G
My Feedback: (5)

Congrats on the plane. I know that you are going to really fall in love with the plane. I would go ahead and move that batteries. That is just a little too tail heavy. If it is climbing inverted on a 45 it is right on the edge of tail heavy.

I can't wait to see the pictures and hear about how it flies tomorrow. You'll find that you get comfortable with the plane very quickly. The plane fly's very predictable. I can't think of any weird habits the plane does.

The yak does slow down a lot faster than the extra. One thing to remember is if you have a dead stick the yak dumps speed a lot faster than other planes. So keep it fairly close to the field and if it dies get the nose down fast. The plane is a floater but also has a lot of drag.

Once again, Well Done!

I am enjoying your review of my design.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Stick Bender

Some shots today
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16647.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	1158776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19908.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	1158777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38655.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	1158778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39934.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1158779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn79228.jpg
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	1158780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fw28065.jpg
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	1158781  
Old 03-16-2009, 08:45 PM
Stick Bender

I like my Yak ,

For the CG problem I took the tailwheel which was aluminum and rubber and replaced it with a tire for an electric with a plastic hub and foam tire, took the springs off the tailwheel and installed some thin red rubber bands in their place, moved the gas tank up maybe 1/4 inch. I may drill a few holes in the tailwheel plate, but I will fly it more before I decide on that. I forgot to do just a flat inverted to see if it was still dead neutral but on an inverted 45 upline it held for quite a while, it did climb at the end but the wind may have gotten it or I may have changed the throttle, not really sure, it's still making me a little nervous to fly it. But it was climbing as soon as I rolled it over yesterday, so I'm real close on CG.

I only tried high rates once and it was on accident, I use high rates to taxi and took off and did a snap roll. That was a shocker, I'm glad I didn't over rotate, When you give it enough stick for a low rate snap and your on high rates (at least my setup) What you get is quite a suprise. Deep fast almost violent, but it impressed the peanut gallery.

A friend of mine flies IMAC and has competed at the Tuscon Aerobatic shootout (Gary Hall) Intermediate but he knows how to setup a plane and fly it. I may get with him before I do anyhting else to it.

Thanks for your help, it's nice kit and seemed fairly easy to build. The cutting of the contrl surfaces and making hinge bevels was more intimdating to me than difficult. Once I figured out what to do and how to do it, the process wasn't too tough.

I guess I'll reveal how a new guy gets a plane light, I only fly 10 minute flights as a courtesy to fellow flyers. So I don't need a big tank or big batteries.

DL-50,8.8 ounce pitts (silent beauty)cut the tubes down about 2" so it's a little lighter, but mostly done for cowl to install easily.
16 ounce fuel tank
main tires are pro lite or something, plastic hub/foam tire, cut the axles
Tail wheel only has blind nut for front screw,front screw is metal rear screw is tapped into the ply and plastic
two 4 cell ni/mh 1400mah,battshare, 2 switches
one 1500mah ni/mh, 1 switch
choke servo hs-81 .58oz
throttle servo hs-82mg .66oz
rudder hs-5955
elev,ail hs-5985
kevlar for pull/pull
Pete model carbon tailwheel assy.
Replaced tailwheel with foam/plastic wheel
True turn spinner,lightened backplate, 22A vess.
the aluminum brackets for the main gear are the thinnest aluminum angle they had, pretty flimsy.
I tried not to use to much glue, It has already been bounced on landing harder than I ever intended. Everything stayed togther.

Guess thats all I have for now
Old 03-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Brent G

Scott

High rate snaps can be very violent[>:] Pulling one on take off with a new plane that take BALLS[sm=48_48.gif][sm=48_48.gif] My favorite thing to do with the plane is get just enough altitude to clear the wings, cut the throttle, roll it to a knife edge and blast the rudder. Then just bump the throttle to keep the nose up. Even with out mix it is totaly predictable and doesn't do any thing stupid.

It sounds like you are pretty close on the CG. You may just need to move 1 batterie forward a little. You might even go with a 23X8 carbon prop once your engine is broke in. The carbon is just a touch heavier and would probably be enough. That is if your elevation is low enough to run the 23x8.

Working with foam wings is something that scares a lot of people. Once you do a set it seems pretty easy. I know I was very nervous the first time I cut out a control surface. Thinking that you could ruin a set of wings with 1 wrong cut can be intemidating. Once you get over that it is pretty easy. The way I have started doing the hinge lines also makes doing that very fast, precise and easy.

Have your IMAC guy help with the set up. Those guys in the higher classes are a wealth of knowledge. I have had a few fly my plane and help me with the setup. Brian Hanna (unlimited pilot, sponsored by futaba and aircraft international) had a blast with the prototype. The other guys that have flown it say that it acts more like a 100cc plane than a 50cc plane. That has me real excited about the new 100cc design. Do you want to try one of these next? Just kidding

16oz tank, I hope you have a good timer. I have a 24 oz in mine. One time I lost the throttle servo flying wide open on an up line. I didn't have any other way to kill it. So now I know exactly how long it will fly on a tank. It happned just shortly after take off and flew for 15 minutes. So your max flight time must be about 10 minutes of hard flying, correct? I would go to a 20 oz tank. You will never know the diference in how it flies with a little more fuel. I just like a little margin just incase I need to circle around a couple of times or if for some reason The runway is blocked with a crash or something.

I would be very interested in hearing Gary Halls openion on the plane. What I did with one of the IMAC guys was let them fly it with no mix and then had them help me with the set up for precision flight. My plane only took about 1 degree of oposite aileron one way and 1.5 degrees the other. Elevator was 1 degree of down for knife edge. That is if I am remembering right. It didn't take much.

Have fun and keep it coming. I hope to see a video of it some time.

Here is a picture of my new Yak.

Name:	Vt58328.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1159600  
Old 03-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Stick Bender

Yeah, thats what I have figured. 10 minutes wot approx. I have two 10 minute timers on the transmitter. One at 10 minutes on a switch and the other at 10 minutes on the throttle over like 8% or something. I do a lot of just aerobatics, chopping throttle frequently, low inverted slow passes, knife edges as slow as low rudder will maintain, etc... I'm 42 and my planes just don't see high throttle much at all, the hardest it's been run so far was about a 15-20 second hover, and a few wot uplines but those only last maybe 5 seconds.

I had a 14 ounce in the extra and never less than 1/4 tank landing usually a half to 1/3. Now if I learn to really huck like I do my foamies, we might have to change the tank, but this tank may last me this season. Just have to see how salty I get with it. I put the Extra back together with the 40cc in it and I'm doing things with it now that have always scared me.(because it was my "big one" before) I have also learned some things and it's about a pound lighter than it was with the 50 in it, amazing how much better it flies, much less likely to tip stall. Just seems underpowered now

Looks like the weather isn't going to cooperate for a little while here, but me and the plane will be ready when weather allows

I have not made my little rods for the switches yet, I need to do that while we are grounded. Taking the hatch on and off every flight is more of a pain than I realized.

I'm between jobs right now taking a few weeks off, not really good time to start a new project. But never say never
Old 03-17-2009, 11:59 AM
thevirginian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey stickbender;
I read with great interest your experince with your beautiful Yak. I have a 50cc WH Sukhoi and a 35% WH Sukhoi. I also have a small Yak 54 (NitroPlane 69") with a Saito 125 in my hangar. I love all three of them. But the 50cc (DL50) is my favorite airplane. I still have too much respect for my 35%. I was caught off gard myself when I tried to land my Sukhoi for the first time. She floats in so nicely and then, all of a sudden, she stops flying[X(] and drops to the ground. It takes more throttle managment to land these big cowl birds. Also they seem to be more sensitive to the proper CG location. But they are great birds to fly and have fun with.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:32 PM
Brent G

Well I am making progress with the new plane. Parts are coming out of the vacumme bags looking great. Here are a couple of pics of the 100cc yak.

Name:	Ro41872.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1162244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62636.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1162245  
Old 04-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Stick Bender

I'm at about 10 flights... (weather has been terrible) I did a high rate snap roll after takeoff on purpose and was told there were gasps in the peanut gallery because they thought something had gone terribly wrong. It was quite violent, stops rotating like right now. One guy said he thought the fuse was going to keep rotating as fast as the wings stopped. It is impressive and nothing fell off or came apart I will not do that often, it can't be good for it in the long run.

The only thing I'm noticing now is a slight roll to the gear in knife edge, it's not bad. I will probably mix it out, at my skill level it's just easier if it holds for me. But it does everything so well I have not done any mixing at all. It's fairly neutral inverted, I tried to do a low inverted pass down the runway but I'm still afraid to hurt it, low turned out to be a good 10-15' off the ground.

I keep thinking it's tail heavy but I have always flown nose heavy planes (more predictable), it's very close to dead neutral, takes just a breath of stick to keep it from hunting the ground. I can flip in inverted on a 45° upline and I don't have to jump on the elevator like I was doing with my Extra. I can just roll over and watch it,unless the wind is under it..

Have you considered a lightened version? It's awesome as it is, but at 15.5lbs it would be a wet dream.

Thanks for all your help and a fantastic airplane!

It pretty tough too, I have had some not so pretty landings. No problemo
Old 04-10-2009, 08:19 AM
Brent G

Scott

See, I told you that you would fall in love with the plane. Your plane has the same slight pitch to the gear that everyone of these yaks has had. You are right that it is soooo slight that it is very easy to just fly it. I think my plane took less than 1% mix on the elevator.

That is one tough airframe that you have. I have really beat mine around with no sign of fatigue. Your center ogf gravity sounds dead on. The plane really flies well with the way you have it balanced. It is capable of doing precision and 3D very well with the way you have it ballanced.

As far as a light weight version, I could make the plane a little lighter but I don't want to sacrafice the durability. There is lightning that can be done to the foam wings before they are sheeted. I did it to my new big yak and saved around 3oz per wing. That is on a 106" wing span. The other thing that could be done is be very carefull about the wood selection and weigh every peice that goes into the sheeting. I don't want to lighten up the fuse a whole lot more. Like you said it is a tough plane and is very light. I think that the plane could be built at under 16 lbs if you are carefull with your construction techniques, wood selection, and watch the glue. My prototype yak was 16lbs 4oz. and that was with 3/32 contest grade. I didn't weigh each peice like I am with the new 106" yak, so I am sure that I could have saved a little more wieght there. Also I used more glue than was necessary sheeting the wings. So there is probably a 4-6 oz that could pretty easly be saved.

I just wanted to say 1 more thing, How about a video!

Have fun with the new plane.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:56 PM
Stick Bender

I posted some pictures of the inside during mock up, here is what it looked like when I flew it yesterday. I found the stab tube socket fit perfectly in the formers and thought it would hide the elevator servo wires well. This is another place that gave me more tail weight. I shoud have just run the wires down thru the holes.

We don't video at our field often, Only one person has ever taken a video of me flying. I will see if I can figure something out.

But here are some pictures of the inside, I wish I had taken some with the cowl off. I got so excited that it was about ready to fly I forgot to get pictures.

My wing bolts screw into the switch plate for storage, a nice visible reminder when I'm sliding the front of the hatch in place.

Name:	Vt58566.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1181605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67849.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	1181606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82655.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	1181607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt52840.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1181608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw20427.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1181609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ar10405.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1181610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bd68635.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1181611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Az86216.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1181612  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw37603.jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1181613  
Old 06-03-2011, 01:03 AM
wizard-ru

Good afternoon, you couldn't share drawings for this model?