Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Smoke Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 03:19 AM
hw123
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke Problems

Hey guys i have a TME smoke pumpsystem on my cap and its all plumbed exactly the way the instructions show, i'm running this setup on a g-62 with a B&B smoke muffler. The plane smokes like crazy when i'm at half throttle but when i run it wide open the smoke quits and if i back off the throttle it smokes like crazy again. It has a adjustable pinch vale on it and i have tryed to adjust it but nothing seems to help. Does anybody have any ideas? Am i using the wrong muffler? If anybody can help me out here i would sure appriciate it. Thank You hw123
Old 03-18-2003, 04:00 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Smoke Problems

Hmm, check your battery??? Maybe it cant overcome the pressure..
Old 03-18-2003, 04:03 AM
hw123

Default Smoke Problems

I have a brand new JR 1400 mah battery pack on the smoke pump. Is that enough or do i need more? Thanks
Old 03-18-2003, 04:03 AM
JohnVH

Default Smoke Problems

That should do it, did you charge it?
Old 03-18-2003, 04:08 AM
hw123

Default Smoke Problems

Ive tryed this about 5 or 6 times and each time i had the battery fully charged. I'm about stummped here. i'm new at this smoke thing. Stuff like this drives me nuts when i cant figure it out.lol
Old 03-18-2003, 04:15 AM
paulfromero
My Feedback: (4)

Default Smoke Problems

Hi,

If you have a computer radio, your mixing may be causing the TME to turn off when you go full bore. I read the book from TME and they explain how mixing can be used to turn off the smoke at half throttle. It may be the reverse is true for you, however I dont know anything about computer radios and how to fix it.

Paul
Old 03-18-2003, 04:25 AM
hw123

Default Smoke Problems

I use a JR8103 and i do have mixing in it for my 3d flying, I will have to look into that. I never thought of that. Thank you hw123
Old 03-18-2003, 05:51 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Smoke Problems

You should be able to bench test the pump with the engine off and no smoke oil.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:54 AM
klbass
My Feedback: (7)

Default Smoke Problems

I know you said you have the plumbing correct, but what you failed to mention is if you installed the check valve that is installed in line between the pump output and your mufflers. Without this checkvalve, backpressure from the mufflers (especially at high throttle settings) can be strong enough to prevent flow. Make sure you have this valve installed.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:10 PM
hw123

Default Smoke Problems

Hello KLBASS i put the check valve closest to the muffler without letting it get hot. Is that right? I have a T in the line and both line going from the T to the muffler are exactly the same length. Does that all sound right? Thanks again
Old 03-18-2003, 01:36 PM
ml3456

Default Smoke Problems

HW,

If you have a 8103, look at the screen with servo movements. It will tell you if the wrong signal is going out.

Mark
Old 03-18-2003, 05:26 PM
hw123

Default Smoke Problems

ml3456, I checked my radio and there seems to be no mixing causing the smoke pump to shut off at high throttle. Am i possibly shooting to much oil in the muffler where it would be cooling it down?
Old 03-18-2003, 07:15 PM
BigBirdFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Default Smoke Problems

I have a TME and without seeing the installation I can't figure out what is wrong. It sounds like you are losing the prime and are sucking in air some where . The check valve might not be working or fittings on the tank might be loose.
Unplug the line from the muffler and see if oil is pumping. Then reverse the check valve, If it doesn't pump now the check valve is OK.
If this doesn't work go to www.TMEnet.com .
Old 03-18-2003, 09:26 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Smoke Problems

Originally posted by hw123
Am i possibly shooting to much oil in the muffler where it would be cooling it down?
That sound like the problem to me. I had this problem too. The oil was being blown out of the muffler before it could get hot enough to smoke. Try closing the valve a little (While running on the ground) and see if it helps.

PS When your wife asks why there's a dead spot in the lawn, act stupid, it worked for me
Old 03-18-2003, 10:15 PM
JohnVH

Default Smoke Problems

Originally posted by MinnFlyer

PS When your wife asks why there's a dead spot in the lawn, act stupid, it worked for me
And its gonna make a big one!!
Old 03-18-2003, 10:55 PM
BigBirdFlyer

Default Smoke Problems

Use a jar . It will pump oil fast .
Old 03-19-2003, 02:53 AM
hw123

Default Smoke Problems

I ran the pump on the ground and the pump is pumping oil into the mufflers from both lines
Old 03-19-2003, 03:15 AM
BigBirdFlyer

Default Smoke Problems

Did you check for air leaks and reverse the Check valve to see if it is working? If anything goes though it when it is reversed it isn't working .
Old 03-19-2003, 03:36 AM
hw123

Default Smoke Problems

Hello BigBidrFlyer I reversed the check valve and nothing came out of it and when i put it back the way it origanlly was it worked again. There is no leaks or any bubbles any where. I turned the pump on while the wing was off of it and watched everything and all looked good. Thats what kills me about this thing when you see pics of the advertisement for TME pumps it shows a plane going into the sky and it leaveing one hell of a smoke trail. Mine will smoke like that at half throttle but the minute you give it full throttle it quits smoking completely.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:57 AM
BigBirdFlyer

Default Smoke Problems

Believe me they do work good. The only other thing I can think of is - if the fitting is on the sides of the muffler you might want to plug them and put one on the flange or as close the the exhaust port that you can get.
Have you gone to the web link that I posted for TME? If not go to it and ask them what they think.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:05 AM
hw123

Default Smoke Problems

I went there and read there site but i will ask them what they think. That does sound like it would work better like you said, plugging off the 2 holes in the muffler and injecting it closer to the exhaust port. Well i will ask them what they think. But I thank You alot for your advise and help. If you ever need help with anything just let me know and i will do my best to help. Well thanks again. Robin [hw123]
Old 03-19-2003, 04:45 PM
MinnFlyer

Default Smoke Problems

I still think you're squirting too much oil. Run the oil line through a Wheel collar or make one of these from a piece of dowel, and clamp down on the oil line to restrict the flow and I'll bet you get tons of smoke.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	64122_7722.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	39169  
Old 03-20-2003, 04:46 AM
skyliner

Default Smoke Problems

Sorry. I cannot agree with the idea of too much oil. The TME pump is running at the same speed regardless of engine RPM. If you were pumping too much it would be less likely to vaporize at lower RPM with less muffler heat.

I had 2 G-62 with exactly the same problem, had to throttle back every time to reprime the pump. Too much back pressure at high speed. Tried several different check valves,the check valve is a must, with out much luck
I now have a B&B pump ahead of the B&B muffler and it never
fails regardless RPM or attitude of the model.

It may weigh a bit more but you do not need batteries to power it and as I recall cost is about the same. Plus the B&B on/off valve has always worked and does not leak
Old 03-20-2003, 04:22 PM
MinnFlyer

Default Smoke Problems

I had the exact same problem too. It was because at high speed, the oil was being blown out of the muffler before it could get hot enough to smoke. I got good smoke at 1/2 to full low throttle, but lost it at full power. I added a restrictor, and got MUCH more smoke and the oil lasted 3 times as long.

I'm not saying this is the problem, but it sure is easy to try. A simple wheel collar, or homemade restrictor could save you lots of time, money, and headaches.