Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

H9 35% Extra 260 Loose Stab ??

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

H9 35% Extra 260 Loose Stab ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 10:06 AM
AAbdu
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: H9 35% Extra 260 Loose Stab ??

Scares me!
Old 10-25-2007, 07:30 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mean that you're an "AMA Pilot"?

(Ain't My Airplane)
Old 10-27-2007, 11:17 PM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update on the stab tube conundrum... I just finished assembling my H9 260 and was particularly interested in the fit of the stab tube... Well, I'm not sure if H9 has already made a change in the tube, but my stab tube was extremely snug in both the stabs & the fuse... I made sure I got a tight fit on the stabs to the fuse before drilling the tube... At this point I have zero slop in the tail... I purchased this 260 last Monday...

Old 10-28-2007, 12:39 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

I also have a tight fit on the fuse and the stabs.

I'm wondering on the 1/8" diameter hole that you drill in the tube, seems a little too big for the bolt if you ask me, it's a sloppy fit.

Did you drill the hole 1/8" also?

I don't have any play when everything is bolted together, but it kind of concerns me that the bolt hole is so oversized.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:26 AM
zzw26n
My Feedback: (45)

ORIGINAL: Torqued-Up

Update on the stab tube conundrum... I just finished assembling my H9 260 and was particularly interested in the fit of the stab tube... Well, I'm not sure if H9 has already made a change in the tube, but my stab tube was extremely snug in both the stabs & the fuse... I made sure I got a tight fit on the stabs to the fuse before drilling the tube... At this point I have zero slop in the tail... I purchased this 260 last Monday...

Torqued,

Did you finish the Plane already? If you would, share any changes you made along he way (upgrades) if any. Was there a trick to keeping the Stab and Tube nice and tight?

Ward
Old 10-28-2007, 08:55 AM
Torqued-Up

I'm finishing a few last minute details this morning and will maiden this afternoon... I flew one of these last Sunday for the first time and was so impressed that I went to the LHS and bought one on Monday... Purchased on Monday, flown the following Sunday...

I didn't change anything as per the instructions for assembly... Basically, I put everything where it is supposed to go and strapped it down... Just make sure to read the assembly manual as there are some tidbits of info there that saves time... Such as the exact control arm distances from the control surface...

One pet peeve is the rudder attachment... H9 provides a piece of "wire" to insert through the rudder hinges to supposedly make it removable... NOT... If you can ever get the wire through all the hinges, it ain't coming out... It may have been easier if the wire was actual piano wire, instead of Chinese steel... I would recommend replacing this wire with a piece of stainless piano wire form your LHS...

One thing to make sure you do is to remove the screws in the pilot helmet and use red loctite on the screws that hold the helmet to the torso and on the visor screws...

The airframe is built very light... You have to be careful where you grab it and how tight you squeeze... If you over do it, you'll hear balsa cracking...

Be prepared to break out the heat gun on a regular basis... This yellow color of ultrakote will not stay shrunk... I quit using this color on my own builds for just this reason... You can hit it with a heat gun, come back in 5 minutes and the wrinkles come back...

I saw one of these fly yesterday with a DA85... Stoopid power... This may be the hot ticket for a very light and very power combination... I'm using a 3W 106 QS, simply because I have it... If I were going to purchase a new engine for this airframe, it would be the DA85...

This is a very well thought out ARF... No real guess work anywhere... I will have a total of around 8 hours to assemble the airplane...
Old 10-28-2007, 11:22 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Have you flown it yet? If not, give it a few flights and get back with us...
Old 10-28-2007, 11:27 AM
bodywerks

One pet peeve is the rudder attachment... H9 provides a piece of "wire" to insert through the rudder hinges to supposedly make it removable... NOT... If you can ever get the wire through all the hinges, it ain't coming out... It may have been easier if the wire was actual piano wire, instead of Chinese steel... I would recommend replacing this wire with a piece of stainless piano wire form your LHS...
Did you try lubing the wire up with vaseline or WD-40, then puttting it in a drill and spinning it in? I did not do it that way the first time and it was an unbelievable P.I.T.A. Had to remove the rudder for something and used the drill the second time - worked like a charm.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:52 PM
Torqued-Up

I flew the 260 this afternoon and would have to say that I'm very pleased... It did everything I asked of it and more... Snaps are very clean from any attitude and stop on a dime... Little to no coupling in KE & HAKE... There's a bit of wing rock in an upright harrier, but the airframe is a little nose heavy as it dives a bit inverted... This will improve when the weight gets moved back a bit... I didn't get DOD with it today as it still needs tuning and the wind was up... All in all, it's a keeper for me...

BW, I'll keep an eye on the stabs...

Old 10-28-2007, 08:00 PM
zzw26n

I flew the 260 this afternoon and would have to say that I'm very pleased... It did everything I asked of it and more... Snaps are very clean from any attitude and stop on a dime... Little to no coupling in KE & HAKE... There's a bit of wing rock in an upright harrier, but the airframe is a little nose heavy as it dives a bit inverted... This will improve when the weight gets moved back a bit... I didn't get DOD with it today as it still needs tuning and the wind was up... All in all, it's a keeper for me...

BW, I'll keep an eye on the stabs...

That's amazing. Great job! Any photo oportunities?
Old 10-28-2007, 11:03 PM
Torqued-Up

No photos today... I'm still waiting on some "bling" to get here... I couldn't resist one of the purple anodized TT spinners, but they take a while to get... Plus I ordered some additional graphics from BandEGraphix.com... I left the wheel pants off today also... Once I get her dressed up I'll take some glamor shots and post them... I haven't weighed it yet, but it's light...

Every one of these I've seen has a DS8711 on rudder... I was going to use #2 HS5955TG's on rudder, but only put one in to see what it would do... I'm having no loss of rudder authority or any "wag" in the tail with #1 servo for rudder... Further flights should determine if the second one is necessary... The kit comes with extra linkage for a second rudder servo if required...

Here's how it's stuffed...

3W 106 QS w/stock mufflers
#2 5955TG's on Elevators
#4 5985MG's on Ailerons
#1 5955TG's on rudder
#1 DS821 on throttle
#1 Smart-Fly Super Regulator
#1 AR7000 2.4 ghz Rx
#2 2100 mah 7.4V Lipos on Rx
#1 2200 mah 6.0V Nimh on Ign
Vess 27B prop
TT lightened purple anodized 4.5" spinner (I couldn't resist)
Graphics by BandEGraphics.com

Old 10-28-2007, 11:11 PM
Torqued-Up

ORIGINAL: zzw26n

Was there a trick to keeping the Stab and Tube nice and tight?

Ward
The only trick I use is to make sure that the stabs are snug against the fuse before I drill the pilot hole in the stab tube...

I do this by putting the stab tube in the socket, put the stabs on, install & tighten the bolts on the root ribs tabs, then I put one side of the airframe against a war so one stab tip is against the wall... I then push on the other side to compress the fit so it's tight to the fuse... Then I drill the pilot holes in the stab tune... This assures that the stab will stay tight against the fuse and prevent slop when the bolts are installed in the stab tube through the elevator...

Old 10-29-2007, 11:06 AM
AAbdu
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I drilled the hole for the stab tube screw I noticed that the hole barely hit the end of the tube. It would appear that the tube is at least 3/4 of an inch too short for comfort. Did anyone else have that prpblem? I ended up inserting a short piece of carbon fiber rod in the tube to extend it.

As it was, the hole on one side was within a 1/16 of an inch from the end of the tube. On the other side is was even less with half of the hole actually being off the end of the tube.

AA
Old 10-29-2007, 11:10 AM
bodywerks

didn't notice that on mine.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:20 AM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Torqued-up, did the DA85 have a pipe or standard muffler? I have an 85 lookin for a home.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:00 PM
Torqued-Up

ORIGINAL: AEROSHELDON

Torqued-up, did the DA85 have a pipe or standard muffler? I have an 85 lookin for a home.

The DA-85 was running a Pitts style wrap around muffler... The motor is new and was rich on the bottom end, but it was ripping a Mejzlik 26X10...

The H9 260 is light when built with a DA-100... Imagine 1.5 lbs lighter with near the same power... Removing weight is like adding horsepower... I would wager that the airplane is in the 25 1/4 lb range with a DA-85... The owner said he had to put all his batteries on the motor box to get it to balance...
Old 10-29-2007, 02:33 PM
bodywerks

That could probably be avoided with a pull-pull, too. Tell your buddy to try a 27X10th prop, too.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:09 PM
AEROSHELDON

Bodywerks, I am new to Denver and do you think my 85 would be too weak with a J'Tec pitts? I am considering the Sukhoi but I like this plane better...
Old 10-29-2007, 04:23 PM
bodywerks

That, I am not sure about. I can tell you that I saw a Compy 2.6M 260 down here at 2500 feet that weighed 25.5 pounds and had smoke and it would hover and pull out. Overall, the power was pretty good, but he also seemed to be on the throttle a lot.
I can also tell you that a 24 pound plane with a 3W80 does pretty well up there in the nosebleeds.
I would speculate that, if you managed to get the plane down to the low 25's or better, and swung a Mejz 27X10TH, you'd probably be okay. It would hover pretty easily, but pull-out wouldn't be ballistic, yet vertical lines would seem to go on forever.
I would suggest a battery system under one pound, and also devising a pull-pull for the rudder so you don't have to fight the CG so much.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:30 PM
AEROSHELDON

thanks, I am still deciding on what to do.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:04 PM
zzw26n

ORIGINAL: zzw26n

Was there a trick to keeping the Stab and Tube nice and tight?

Ward
The only trick I use is to make sure that the stabs are snug against the fuse before I drill the pilot hole in the stab tube...

I do this by putting the stab tube in the socket, put the stabs on, install & tighten the bolts on the root ribs tabs, then I put one side of the airframe against a war so one stab tip is against the wall... I then push on the other side to compress the fit so it's tight to the fuse... Then I drill the pilot holes in the stab tune... This assures that the stab will stay tight against the fuse and prevent slop when the bolts are installed in the stab tube through the elevator...

Thanks .......... That would work for me.