Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
 New Power Box Batteries??? >

New Power Box Batteries???

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

New Power Box Batteries???

Old 12-20-2007, 10:36 AM
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New Power Box Batteries???

I'm thinking about trying a power box and the new power box batteries. How many of you are using them and are they holding up well?? Thanks.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:38 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Power Box Batteries???

I have 3 PowerBoxes - one in a 40%, one in each of two 33% planes. One problem was leaving the batteries plugged in while the 40% was in storage - they will drop below the LiPo "death" voltage if you leave them plugged into the PowerBox for an extended period of time. Now I make sure to unplug the batteries from the PowerBox between outings. You'd think they'd put a failsafe circuit in the PowerBox for as much as they charge for it - they make a standalone failsafe battery protector for gosh sakes.

Another minor annoyance - the "arm" button on the PowerBox switch (momentary pushbutton) starts to stick after a while. All three PowerBox switches had this problem. Doesn't cause flight problems, but you have to pry the button up or tap it to pop back out once in a while.

All are holding up well - the oldest one has hundreds of flights and almost 3 years now.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:35 PM

Received 737 Likes on 532 Posts

Steve

The "new" Powerbox batteries have been available for a couple of years now and we have hundreds of flights without any problems.
Never had a sticky button either and I have at least 8 systems operating with the sensor switch.

Dave Wilshere
Old 12-20-2007, 06:19 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fly the emcotec system with pin switches in my 35% extra and use fromeco batteries. No need to unplug these when they are not in use as there is no current draw on the batteries when not in use...I do unplug them if I plan to leave them a long time but that is just for piece of mind.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:45 AM
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've looked at the Lithium Ions and think the LiPo is the way I'd like to go if I end up using the Power Box. I'll only be using the 40/16 Evolution. Its a 34% plane and I've never used a Power Box before.