Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

AR9100

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 01:30 PM
martinarcher
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AR9100

Anyone running it in a giant scale 3D application yet. I saw a few posts of the jet crew running them, but haven't heard much yet for our kind of birds. Seems like a cool idea. Might push me to try 2.4G.

Thanks.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Flyin Hawaiian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AR9100

Team Extreme and the Extreme Flight 110" Yak 54 w/ DA 100 and X9303 and 9 ch 2.4G Rx. IMAC'in and Hucked 3D Hard!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28442.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	849135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48416.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	849136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44778.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	849137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51465.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	849138  
Old 01-12-2008, 03:26 PM
CH3CH2OH

I was wondering if it pulls power from both batteries at the same time, or only uses the second battery for backup?
Old 01-12-2008, 08:15 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Flyin', he is talking about the 9100 receiver, which is kinda like a power system in itself.
I didn't even know they were available yet (I should know, as I have one on special order and haven't received a call yet).
I am pretty sure it uses the power off of both batteries, unless the voltage difference between the two ends up being too great, In this case, it will only draw power off the higher voltage until they both equalize again.
The only shortcoming of this receiver is that there is only one port per channel, so you are limited as to the current available to the servos unless you do some modifications (which I won't get into). Still, it completele seperates the power to the receiver from the power to the servos, so you stand less chance of a voltage reset - the only limitation will be the batteries thenselves and their assosiated wiring/connectors.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: bodywerks

I didn't even know they were available yet (I should know, as I have one on special order and haven't received a call yet).
They aren't yet--supposed to be here early Feb
Old 01-12-2008, 09:32 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: bodywerks

Flyin', he is talking about the 9100 receiver, which is kinda like a power system in itself.
I am pretty sure it uses the power off of both batteries, unless the voltage difference between the two ends up being too great, In this case, it will only draw power off the higher voltage until they both equalize again.
The only shortcoming of this receiver is that there is only one port per channel, so you are limited as to the current available to the servos unless you do some modifications (which I won't get into). Still, it completele seperates the power to the receiver from the power to the servos, so you stand less chance of a voltage reset - the only limitation will be the batteries thenselves and their assosiated wiring/connectors.
You have a PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:05 PM
CH3CH2OH

Since it's 9 channels, I was thinking in a 35 percent plane of just assinging two channels to each wing with programable servos and using 1 big servo on the tail. If I then use a single a123 battery(plenty of power) and recharge every 2 or 3 flights(it only takes about 15 min), the weight of this system could be 8 to 9 oz. and there would by no need for multiple ports per single channel and no chance of brownout? On a 40% or greater couldn't we just use 2 recievers and forget all power boxes, dual swithes, voltage regulaters and such? this really has me thinking, and dreaming of a super light weight airplane. Wouldn't this make a much more reliable system? Sorry just thinking outloud.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:47 PM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Hey Ethanol, I think you are on to something! I can see a day very soon that this type of receiver and 123 batteries are the norm, say in a year or two...

I still don't like charging at the field even though I have an Ion Cube and that is why I like LiIon at least for now... but what is an extra reg or two if a lot of the other stuff is gone??
Old 01-13-2008, 08:07 AM
Mitsu1
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: AEROSHELDON

I still don't like charging at the field even though I have an Ion Cube and that is why I like LiIon at least for now... but what is an extra reg or two if a lot of the other stuff is gone??
You shouldn't have to recharge at the field. I've read that a 2300mah A123 battery should easily fly a 35% plane for 8 - 10, ten minute each, flights with a healthy dose of reserve capacity still left over. I think the need for charging at the field is mainly to measure how much (mah) charge it takes to top it back off, since theres no other real good way of knowing how much battery you have used otherwise.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:22 AM
Mitsu1

On my 35% I'm thinking of running a single 2300 mah A123 battery with dual output power leads into dual Deans Ultra pull plug switches and then into the dual Deans connectors power leads that come on the AR9100. To be controlled by X9303. Should be simple, clean and effective.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:48 AM
CH3CH2OH

It may be possible to even run the ignition off of the same battery, but I think I'll let a few guinea pigs try this first. Aerosheldon, I think you are right about this being the future, just wait it wont be long and ignition manufactures will make their stuff compatible with a123 batteries(da and 3w already are). I thought it would be neat to put the charging jack next to the switch and charge and bind the system with ease. Clean, simple,reliable, lightweight.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: Mitsu1

On my 35% I'm thinking of running a single 2300 mah A123 battery with dual output power leads into dual Deans Ultra pull plug switches and then into the dual Deans connectors power leads that come on the AR9100. To be controlled by X9303. Should be simple, clean and effective.
Why bother with the switches ? It comes with a failsafe switch. If you are wiring the packs yourself, just solder on a charge lead and stick in a Ernst jack on the fuse. This way you can check them and charge without disconnecting the packs.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:04 PM
Mitsu1

Don't plan to wire my own pack, but adding a charge jack to the leads will be simple. Will a Ernst jack handle the amp load the charger willl be pushing? Oh, and you're right, the AR9100 comes with a soft switch that defaults to on if there's a failure, ... but seems like I remember reading that there is a small constant flow thats moving from battery to RX even when switch is in the off position. I think I read that you would need to disconnect the battery if you plan on not using it for more than a couple days to keep the batttery from over discharging and damaging itself. Thats whey I thought about the Deans Arming switches ... so that once that push-pull key is removed there's no way the battery could over drain itself.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Josey Wales

The stock connectors can handle 4A no problem..Dont know what the max is for them. The soft switch does use a little power when off but according to Horizon its very minimal. I think Danny said its was less than 1ma.

BTW--whats a Deans arming switch ?
Old 01-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: AEROSHELDON

but what is an extra reg or two if a lot of the other stuff is gone??
Two additional failure points, that's what... Not trying to be a smart azz, but I've had too many regs fail on me this year...

Already switched to A123, so no regs in my future ever again...

Plus, charge time... It used to really tick me off that it took over 2 hours to recharge my Fromeco batts... I can now recharge in 20 minutes...

Old 01-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Mitsu1

Check this link. Scroll down mid way and see the Arming Switch. It completely disconnects the battery and Rx with a plugt in key.
http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-21.html
Old 01-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Josey Wales

Those are pretty neat..If using a non-balancing charger you could charge at 10A thru that I bet...
Old 01-13-2008, 07:39 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mitsu1

Check this link. Scroll down mid way and see the Arming Switch. It completely disconnects the battery and Rx with a plugt in key.
http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-21.html
Why would you need that? The receiver already comes with an integrated failsafe switch, and adding that switch inline wit your batteries is just another bottleneck/failure point. A waste of weight and money...
Old 01-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Mitsu1

Did you not read the explanation just before your post? The soft switch that comes with the 9100 still allows a small amount of current to flow even when its in the off position. Its been said if you don't fly often enough this small drain could pull your battery down to an overdrained condition which is bad for A123's and could ruin your battery. The sure way to avoid this is to disconnect your battery from the RX. Just turning off the soft switch won't stop the small current flow, but if you substitute that mechanical switch with the Arming plug, you can effectively cutoff/disconnect the battery without ever having to go inside the fuselage by simply pulling the "key". Sure the included soft switch defaults to the "on" position forsaftey reasons, but the arming switch is almost like not having a switch at all .. and simply connecting the batery straight to the RX. Now thats .... eliminating a potential failure point, and safe guarding your battery investment too! ... provided you simply pull the plug before storage.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:11 PM
Mitsu1

Hey, just another way of skinning the cat. One could certainly just use the supplied soft switch, and just make sure that the battery is always topped off before any lengthy storage. Hypothetically speaking however, ... if you have a 2300 mah pack, and you fly 1700mah out of the pack one day, then go home without topping it back off, and life , weather or whatever .... keeps you from flying for three weekends in a row, ... you may not have a battery by then. 2300mah pack - 1700mah of flying - 504mah discharge through the soft switch (1mah x 24 hrs per day x 21 days/3 weeks= 504) .... leaves just 96mah, which most likely would be that overdrained range that is said to ruin a A123 pack. ... I may have this all wrong, and don't mind learning from someone who knows more about this stuff. Just trying to learn like everyone else.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:45 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Just in case you do run your A123's all the way down they can tolerate it. Just nurse them with 50 mAh until they reach 2v per cell and then charge as you normally would.
We have a heli guy at the club that ran this test on purpose, multiple times.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:43 PM
martinarcher
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My plan was to eliminate all switches and run two small 123A packs or one with dual leads to the receiver. I also am not putting regulators in my big birds. When you get to the field plug the batts in put the canopy on. Good to go. You don't have to unplug them until you go home since the RX draws almost nothing. I was also planning on putting an Ernst jack on the outside of the plane. Would let you check voltage and charge with the canopy on.

Could be 1 problem...

Will the 9100 tolerate a charger attached to the battery while still plugged into the RX? If the softswitch actually disconnects power to the RX it should be fine, but I don't know the details on it.