Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

New switch for A123 batteries from Fromeco

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

New switch for A123 batteries from Fromeco

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 06:00 PM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New switch for A123 batteries from Fromeco

Fromeco has a new switch out called the Kodiak. It is made specifically for A123 batteries. It is rated at 30 amps, and it has a meter that keeps track of how many mah's you have used so you know when it's time to recharge. It's about the same size as the Wolverine switch, and it has Deans plug in, Deans plug out, and a Deans plug charge port!
This is exactly what we needed for the new A123 batteries. The switches are in stock and ready for sale at Fromeco. I ordered some of them today (Mike told me that I was actually the first guy to order some).

FROMECO 30 AMP SWITCH This switch is for LiPhosphate batteries (A123's). Note the dean's connector so that you can charge your battery at a 10 amp rate. The really unique part about this switch is that it counts the amount of amps which flows through it. It continues to add to the total until you reset the counter, so you can fly time and time again and not worry about running out of battery. Of course charging takes just a few minutes. Li Phosphate is coming, and the technology is here to stay...for awhile.

Happy flying, Jim
Old 02-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Default RE: New switch for A123 batteries from Fromeco

Must not be up on the site yet. I was about to order a Badger for an A123 35% project.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Hammbone

Correct, it is not on the website yet. I don't think the ordering function of the website is working right now either.
Also there is a problem with their phones today, so it's probably best to try calling tomorrow.

Jim
Old 02-04-2008, 06:31 PM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

What is the cost?
Old 02-04-2008, 06:32 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

kewl
Old 02-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Hammbone

ORIGINAL: rcairflr

What is the cost?
They are $65 each, if I remember correctly.

Jim
Old 02-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Rush7
My Feedback: (74)

Cost? Cost? Did you ask them if they were going to be making batteries with the A123 cells?
I had heard that they had come up with cards to go in to the ION Cube that would charge A123 cells, do not know if it is true or not.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Hammbone

They will be selling A123 batteries in a few weeks. The cells are on the way to them now.
They already have the A123 charging cards available for the ion cube charger.
They are coming out with a new charger in a few weeks that is made to quick charge three A123 batteries at once (at 10 amps).
The max charge rate on the ion cube is only 3 amps.

Jim
Old 02-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Grotesquebass
My Feedback: (16)

this is great news as i just ordered a 35% extra last week
Old 02-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Hammbone

ORIGINAL: Grotesquebass

this is great news as i just ordered a 35% extra last week
I agree, this news made my day today! This is a very cool switch!

Jim
Old 02-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Rush7
My Feedback: (74)

Thanks for the info Jim. Would you know it........lol...............[&:] That is what I love about this hobby. Everytime you get a good setup that you like there is something new and improved that comes around the corner and takes your wallet for a ride.

I just bought my ION Cube last year and all of the other little goodies that you can get with it. Looks like it will soon to be time to trade it in on a new model.
I really wanted to go with the A123's in my new 88" EF Extra but I already had the batteries switches and charger bought for it, so I just stuck with the Lithium Ions.

I hope that by the time my 110" EF Yak gets here and I get it together they will have all of the equipment up and running so that I can get the A123 setup for it.

I will have to say that I have always had good luck with the Fromeco gear and they have always fixed any problem that I have had with no questions asked.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Hammbone

Yeah, I'm in the middle of switching all my planes over to A123's. I was going to use the Smart fly failsafe switches in combination with the Smart Fly Power Expander Pro, but I love these new Kodiak switches and the fact that they will tell you your mah used (and thus, when it's time to recharge). I will now use these switches with the Power Expander Pro.

I just purchased an A123 version of the ion cube today. It will have three AS123 ports and two regular lithium ion ports. This will be my home charger. I can charge my A123's and the lithium ions I will still use on ignitions. It will also charge my lithium ion TX battery, and some smaller planes that I still use lithium ions with.

When the new fromeco charger comes out in a few weeks, I'll consider getting it for my field charger, so I will be able to quick charge my A123's when needed at the field.

Jim
Old 02-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Im anxious to see what charger they come up--hopefully something a little smaller than the cube so its easier to take to the field..
Old 02-04-2008, 08:29 PM
SinCityJets

That's going to be really good for A123's!!
Old 02-04-2008, 11:24 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

I like,I need [8D]
Old 02-05-2008, 12:02 AM
Upnet
My Feedback: (8)

Ain't TECHNOLOGY jus' wunnerful! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$[X(]
Old 02-05-2008, 07:32 AM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Hammbone

Great Info for all to know especially since Amperage Draw is extremely important on the 35% and up machines.

Ian
Old 02-05-2008, 07:34 AM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Hammbone

Great Info for all to know especially since Amperage Draw is extremely important on the 35% and up machines.

Ian
Old 02-05-2008, 08:05 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great information, but where do I get them from? can't get them from Fromeco at the moment as the shopping cart is not available.

Mike
Old 02-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Torqued-Up

ORIGINAL: Hammbone

Yeah, I'm in the middle of switching all my planes over to A123's. I was going to use the Smart fly failsafe switches in combination with the Smart Fly Power Expander Pro, but I love these new Kodiak switches and the fact that they will tell you your mah used (and thus, when it's time to recharge). I will now use these switches with the Power Expander Pro.

Jim
Why would you want to spend the $$$ just to have #2 additional switches if using a PE or PB...

The Smart-Fly Power Expanders have a built-in failsafe switch... Adding these Kodiak switches to a typical giant scale setup will add $130 in cost and add #2 additional failure points to a setup... Displaying mah burned is a nice feature, but not worth $130 to me...

I can see using these switches on a 35% or smaller setup where you might not use a Power Expander or Power Box, but why use them if you already have a failsafe switch built into your setup...

Inquiring minds want to know...

Old 02-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Hammbone

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Great information, but where do I get them from? can't get them from Fromeco at the moment as the shopping cart is not available.

Mike
The new Kodiak switches are not on the website yet anyway. Try e-mail.

Jim
Old 02-05-2008, 08:55 AM
Hammbone

ORIGINAL: Torqued-Up

Jim
Why would you want to spend the $$$ just to have #2 additional switches if using a PE or PB...

The Smart-Fly Power Expanders have a built-in failsafe switch... Adding these Kodiak switches to a typical giant scale setup will add $130 in cost and add #2 additional failure points to a setup... Displaying mah burned is a nice feature, but not worth $130 to me...

I can see using these switches on a 35% or smaller setup where you might not use a Power Expander or Power Box, but why use them if you already have a failsafe switch built into your setup...

First of all, these new Kodiak switches are failsafe switches, so I am not adding any failure points. I will use these switches instead of the Power Expander failsafe switch.
Second of all, having a mah counter is very important to me.
Thirdly, this switch gives me the ability to quick charge through the switch at 10 amps when I want to.

If the new switch does not appeal to you, you don't have to use it. :-)

Jim
Old 02-05-2008, 09:18 AM
SinCityJets

Jim,

I like the MAh counter, but is the charge jack a balancing jack? Most of the packs we're selling now (85%) are bought with balancing adapters.

Chad
Old 02-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Hammbone

Hi Chad,
The charge jack on this switch is not a balancing jack. Fromeco agrees with you, and says that balancing these batteries all the time is not neccessary. They say that it might be a good idea to balance them once in a while though, so I like the idea of still having a balancing lead coming off of the battery that you can use if you want to. This way you will have two different charging options.

Jim
Old 02-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Torqued-Up

ORIGINAL: Torqued-Up

Jim

First of all, these new Kodiak switches are failsafe switches, so I am not adding any failure points. I will use these switches instead of the Power Expander failsafe switch.
Second of all, having a mah counter is very important to me.
Thirdly, this switch gives me the ability to quick charge through the switch at 10 amps when I want to.

If the new switch does not appeal to you, you don't have to use it. :-)

Jim
Agreed... Just making a point...

I'll save the $130 and keep on doing what I'm doing now...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.