Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

CMP extra 330L-servos

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 06:52 AM
JL636
My Feedback: (79)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CMP extra 330L-servos

I will soon be starting a 330L from CMP (80"ws/13-15 lbs) and powering it with a Brillelli 46GT. I have some DS821's (72 oz torque) for the elevator halves and a TS70 with 133 oz for the rudder. My question is will the 72 oz per half be enough or go with the 133 ( 6 volt system) for all surfaces, including ailerons. This is my first truely large scale running a single servo per surface.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:02 PM
Dav0012

Default RE: CMP extra 330L-servos

Hi, i am currently running hitec 475 servos on my cmpro 140 size giles with 1.60fx, which have 76oz of tourque and am really pushing the limits of these servos failing, in my belief on a 50cc gasser the jr 821's will most probably fail (flutter). the minimum i would probably use on this plane is hitec 645's/5645's (unsure of the jr equivalent) but they rate at 133oz for the anolog 645 and 168 oz for the 5645 all on 6volts, and anything up from there. Ive seen many people using the 8411 and 8611 jr servos on this plane with success. i mean theres a possibility the servos may work but i'd say they would only hold up for a couple of flights before failing. With servos its better to be safe than sorry....
Old 02-13-2008, 06:24 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

u need metal gear servos,100 ounce and up,more for rudder
Old 02-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Personally on a gasser with single servos per surface I prefer to have metal gear servos.

I would rather see 645s on the EL at 6v then those 821s.. I use those for throttle servos since I got them with my 9303. Really depends on the type of flying you do, but you should maybe look at it from a different point of view. The best flying plane in the world will not fly well with low end servos in it.. in fact it won't fly half as well as it could.

It's worth saving the money to put quality servos in it because in the long run you will be much happier.

I would definatley run 6v and if you enjoy to fly a lot of KE I would upgrade the rudder to atleast a 5645.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:45 AM
JL636

I checked the Hitec websight and figure I will go with the 645's. The 821's were just a starting point and I figured I would get some good outside opinions on alternatives. I agree, more oz's of torque is a good thing. One question though, being as I will run a 2400 mAh, 6V battery will I have to run some sort of battery manager? Being as I will have a fair amount of money invested and my first "gasser"I want to do this right. Thanks for the input. Joe
Old 02-14-2008, 10:27 AM
GmanBill
My Feedback: (10)

Hey Joe,
Before all these new servos came out we used to run 80oz on everything but the rudder and 120oz on the rudder on that size plane with no blow back and no problem. if you want to run a bit more that is OK, the 625mg servos are great on the elevators and ailerons, and a 645 is more than enough on the rudder at 4.8v, at 6v it is overkill but I know people who say put 5955's everywhere. I think that is just stupid to put a 5955 on a 30%, all it is is bling factor and someone saying look at me I can spend way too much money for something that only need 80oz.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:50 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: JL636

I will soon be starting a 330L from CMP (80"ws/13-15 lbs) and powering it with a Brillelli 46GT. I have some DS821's (72 oz torque) for the elevator halves and a TS70 with 133 oz for the rudder. My question is will the 72 oz per half be enough or go with the 133 ( 6 volt system) for all surfaces, including ailerons. This is my first truely large scale running a single servo per surface.

I had the same plane now sold with the servo's still in good condition, I used a 645 on the rudder and 625's on all the other surfaces, one on each half of the elevator and one each on the ailerons, never had a problem and neither has the new owner, we fly on the same field so I would get feed back if I sold him a pup. I did a build thread on this if you are interested, by the way the firewall is weak and needs beafing up, some have lost thier planes due to it flexing to destruction.

Mike

Link added: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.a...=Jamara%2C330L
Old 02-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

ORIGINAL: JL636

I checked the Hitec websight and figure I will go with the 645's. The 821's were just a starting point and I figured I would get some good outside opinions on alternatives. I agree, more oz's of torque is a good thing. One question though, being as I will run a 2400 mAh, 6V battery will I have to run some sort of battery manager? Being as I will have a fair amount of money invested and my first "gasser"I want to do this right. Thanks for the input. Joe
The 645's are the same price as the 625's at Tower Hobbies. More servo power for the same dollars? In this day and age of 100 dollar servos it is nice to know that you can still get a strong servo for $36.

I have a pair of 645's coming out of a retired airframe (80 inch 12 lb Extra) and going into a 74 inch 11 pound Yak. Right now after 50 flying hours on the elapse time counter they feel good and tight and of course work great.

I also have the digitals in other planes and sure do like the way they sound/respond to commands, but honestly cannot tell much difference in flight.

Enjoy your plane!

WrongWay

Old 02-14-2008, 01:29 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

ORIGINAL: GmanBill

Hey Joe,
Before all these new servos came out we used to run 80oz on everything but the rudder and 120oz on the rudder on that size plane with no blow back and no problem. if you want to run a bit more that is OK, the 625mg servos are great on the elevators and ailerons, and a 645 is more than enough on the rudder at 4.8v, at 6v it is overkill but I know people who say put 5955's everywhere. I think that is just stupid to put a 5955 on a 30%, all it is is bling factor and someone saying look at me I can spend way too much money for something that only need 80oz.

That is completely dependant on your flying style.. If you are flying circles with the odd snap and whatnot here and there sure.

However if you are doing more than that there is definately a need for more servo. I used to fly the 80" GP Patty Wagstaff I used 645s everywhere and a 5645 on the rudder everything on 6volts. It flew fine and did what I wanted to do for the first few 100 flights and then once I started pushing my skills it was easy to see where they were letting me down.

A KE loop on that plane with a 5645 at 6volts (168oz) the servo would fade on the last half of the loop everytime. Could you still pull off a KN loop? Sure but the last half was tough... upgraded to a 5945 and it definately helped.

Judging by your statements you either don't fly a lot of aggressive flying or you just haven't seen the difference. If you are an aggressive flyer and 3D try flying a 30% with 5645s all over and then switch to 5955s and then tell me it doesn't fly better....

If you are into anything out than just having fun and flying some circles then of course you won't notice a difference and it's not worth your money to put high end servos in it.... fly some straight lines / IMAC sequences or some hard 3D and it's a different story completely.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:17 PM
JL636

My flying style is more IMAC than anything else. Each year I venture down to Oshkosh ( a hour & a half away) and watch the late afternoon aerobatics airshow. Their precision flying with a little semi 3D sprinkled in is what twists my wick. Do I like 3D...yes and I consider my skill at it about average. But being able to mimick a full size aircraft and it's twists, turns, tumbles and rolls is where it is at. I started this thread to get advise and advise is what I got, it was exactly what I was looking for. I just got three Hitec HS 700's for $39.00 if they don't supply enough torque then I don't know what would. You say "overkill"....maybe, but I want the response there when I need it regardless of the style of flight. One question in my initial post was not answered and that is, will I have to get a battery manager to ensure the proper voltage while using a 6V (2400 mAh/6V)battery and demanding servos? Again, thanks for each and every reply. Joe
Old 02-14-2008, 07:45 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

If its just a 5 cell nicad or hydrate,then I asume it can be used straight up.Get a good switch.
As far as servos,get metal gear at least,the vibes and loads can easily shatter nylon gears.

As far as digitals and power holding ability and resolution versus old school servos,I would say that it is much like using drum brakes and Bias ply tires on your good car,sure they will work,but they do not offer performance if needed.