Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Lanier 94" Yak help

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 07:51 PM
RAMMJETT

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Lanier 94" Yak help

prop washer just checked out fpe 5.8 that thing is a 95cc single @ 6 lbs i think this plane is far to light to handle those vibs.for the diff go da. or wait for dl twin very smooth.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:55 PM
enephel
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Prop_Washer2

Ordered the Big Lanier YAK, gotta get an engine for it now... don't know if a Fuji BT-86 will pull it well enough, 4,000 ft. altitude here, 15% or more power is sapped away. Also the FPE 5.8 looks pretty good at $699.00 as well...
Neither of those engines will be enough for hovering or whatever. If that is what you are looking for PLEASE save yourself the regret later.

I would go another $100 and get a real engine. The DA-85 will fly this ridiculous. 3W-85CS(red head) competition series somebody mentioned on one of these threads is specified as 10 horsepower(five pounds) and a 28X10 is among the propeller recommendations. GEEEZZZZZZ!!!

I heard A Zenoah GT-80 was good for it but I would go with one of the known powerhouses. Don't hurry. Do a search for all the engines you are considering. Check other forum sites as well. The following links may reinforce what I'm saying here.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_70...tm.htm#7057992
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_63...tm.htm#6327848

If you want a budget motor try a Torch 90.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Doppelganger
My Feedback: (1)

Is a Torch 90 a "real" engine?

Steve
Old 03-20-2008, 08:19 PM
Doppelganger

Also, do they have a US distributor. Their website is not in english.

Steve
Old 03-20-2008, 09:03 PM
DA3

I think Im gonna wait till april see about the new DA-100 or the DL-100, couldn't find much on DL though, makes me wonder how hard it will be to get service & parts for them.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:17 PM
DA3

da3 ended uo using 3/4" stand off (just goes to show cant believe all you read)could of gone 1/2 inch but with the engine in place plug caps touch cowl.gets worse when engine is moved further back.also move engine 1/8" to the right to compensate for cilinder placement .this will better center engine .i am sorry to tell you i think cutting some holes might be nessary.and with the engine further back witch would help ballance it would force you to cut your holes in the louvers.i dont think 1/4 "will hurt either way
Don't Like the sound of that, I really don't like holes in the side of the cowl. Keep us posted on how it goes. Also I was looking at the gear and got to thinking, Those things are pretty stiff, seems like a hard landing would transfer all the energy into the fuse instead of springing. looks like fuse would take all damage instead of the gear bending. Would it be better to modify or get gear that soften a hard blow?
Old 03-20-2008, 09:24 PM
RAMMJETT

check the ld thread they have a great us dist. you could check prices on our canadian dist greathobbies.com i have i guy closer but no web sight. check the parts prices very low.my dist called me twice just to make sure i was happy with it. never seen that before.all the boys up here been using them for over a year with no problems.i was da crazy but after this engine.i guess you will see for your self if you get that da .i was not happy seeing those dl boys fly circles around my da.my dist says that dl 100 any day
Old 03-20-2008, 09:37 PM
RAMMJETT

da3 i have lots of big planes gear seems normal to me.trust me they will flex.thies planes wont take mutch of a hard landing regardless of gear .but big planes are really easy to fly.dont want mutch wind on the light ones thow.i would however put on bigger wheels if you fly off grass.tripping a big plane does a lot of dammage.i even start with no wheel pants one less thing to go wrong.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:30 PM
DA3

RAM I checked out greathobbies, I like that price tag and the full line of parts available, let us know if you hear anything about the 100. I guess I won't worry about gear and just drive on.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:14 AM
enephel
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: RAMMJETT

da3 i have lots of big planes gear seems normal to me.trust me they will flex.thies planes wont take mutch of a hard landing regardless of gear .but big planes are really easy to fly.dont want mutch wind on the light ones thow.i would however put on bigger wheels if you fly off grass.tripping a big plane does a lot of dammage.i even start with no wheel pants one less thing to go wrong.
Flying off grass I put the biggest wheels I can get away with. These big planes give you 3" wheels and they may be scale but in the grass they suck. I don't use wheel pants usually. Yaks look fine without. No spinner either. That would be like a pit bull with a bow in it's hair. LOL
Old 03-21-2008, 05:40 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

ORIGINAL: Doppelganger

Is a Torch 90 a "real" engine?

Steve
Yes real http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTHFVq9zKlM

great midrange, no burbling and big shaking like other large single cylinder engines.

http://www.torchengines.com/english/index.htm

There is dealer here in town that is supposed to be getting the first 10 engines in in a few weeks. I paid less than 7 bills for mine but then had to pay to have it shipped from Brazil which was not cheap.

The engine weighs just a tad more than a 3W 80 I have in the box. The best part for me is that the carb is a side mount so it is in the front of the cowl where you can easily get to the settings.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:52 AM
RAMMJETT

i dont know in that configuration .the engine looks like it is piston ported witch yealds the least power for a two stroke engine.#1 rotary #2 reed #3 piston port dont want to start a war on whos engine makes more .intake setup does however tell you the engines potential to make power.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:10 AM
Doppelganger

I was at the site yesterday and also saw the vid. They should have an english version of the site. If they want to sell in the US, make it english. Also, what good does it do to buy a reasonably inexpensive engine, to then turn around and pay a huge amount for shipping? I'm probably going to wait for the DL.

Steve
Old 03-21-2008, 09:09 AM
RAMMJETT

i kinda like dl i get to see what all the parts are worth before i buy .with da they just say send it in and i have had to .i really dont want any engine when the parts are that far away.i love seeing parts breakdowns and prices.the fact the parts are in stock and can have them in one day.the best part is i have not needed any support yet
Old 03-21-2008, 09:25 AM
eraser

Anyone get their 94" Extra yet? Mine is shipping today. I'm concerned about the lack of info on this plane, but for $299.00, we will see.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:22 AM

I was at the site yesterday and also saw the vid. They should have an english version of the site. If they want to sell in the US, make it english. Also, what good does it do to buy a reasonably inexpensive engine, to then turn around and pay a huge amount for shipping? I'm probably going to wait for the DL.

Steve
Look at my last post.....It is an english version of the site.

As to paying for the shipping It was only because I was ahead of the market. The local dealer will import them in bulk so that YOU will not have to pay to have one at a time shipped from Brazil. FYI the owner of the Torch company was at the Florida FX3D event earlier this month.... They will be coming out with a 100cc twin to compete in the high quality market, this will be after they release their 50cc. (24 prop @6500 is reported from Brazil) They already have a 180cc that rocks and a 60cc too. At the event they donated a Torch 40 for the pilot raffle. I purchased it from the young fellow who won it and would not have a plane to use it on. Still in break in but this one turns the 20x6 at 8100 cold (7800 hot). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSxZSkvCacY Again, the midrange is wonderful... I should also confes that I have owned a name brand engine that was great and powerful but shook the plane hard all the time (constant inspection) and most importantly had a horrible midrange. I now shop midrange, vibration, then power.

From what I see of the Torches so far, they are not the litest engine out there but seem to be very well built and hopefully durable for the long run. Have you ever been in an small engine shop where the mechanics swear by the Stihl chain saws? Must be something to their heads that make them the rave of chain saw owners.

Good luck with whatever you chose, I am sorry I missed out on this plane.....looks like a good deal. BTW my 102 inch Extra weighs 24 lbs with small change in that vid.....I imagine that any 80cc engine should fly yours just fine at 23 or 22 lbs. (a guess) 85 or 90 would be good also[8D]

WrongWay
Old 03-21-2008, 12:41 PM
Doppelganger

The Yak and Extra are still on sale at Tower Hobbies. If thats the plane you're referring to. I'll check out the Torch site.

Steve
Old 03-21-2008, 01:25 PM
RAMMJETT

next time i want a brizilian chain saw engine i will look them up for now i will stick with purpose built engines for airplaines.that is like saying because honda makes the best 4 wheeler i should trust them to make good airplane engines.dude i go by weight they loose i go by price they loose i go by vibration they loose .with the way better choices in north america i just dont see me getting one .but i guess the have good midrange .that engine is a conversion made with parts from good chain saw engines.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:50 PM

The Yak and Extra are still on sale at Tower Hobbies. If thats the plane you're referring to. I'll check out the Torch site.

Steve

Thanks, I see that now...I was looking at the wrong one. Now if I can only get past the job cuts coming next week I will get one! It is a good way to pinch the wallet.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:04 PM

ORIGINAL: RAMMJETT

next time i want a brizilian chain saw engine i will look them up for now i will stick with purpose built engines for airplaines.that is like saying because honda makes the best 4 wheeler i should trust them to make good airplane engines.dude i go by weight they loose i go by price they loose i go by vibration they loose .with the way better choices in north america i just dont see me getting one .but i guess the have good midrange .that engine is a conversion made with parts from good chain saw engines.
Sorry.... But I was responding to someone else on this public forum. Perhaps before the next time you go on a rant you might want to see whom the person was talking to. Also the next time you go on a rant you might want to use the spell checker for people to take you seriously. Lastly, I have bad news for you. Your North American purpose built engines are purported to get their cylinders from the same country (not in North America) as the chain saw conversion engines. [:-]

As to conversion engines and piston porting. here is one from a Red Max Chainsaw. They are now called Zenoah... Made in Japan too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apz895e8ERw

The nicest thing about RCU is that people can share their experiences for a free education before the wallet opens up.

Peace On

WrongWay.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:23 PM
RAMMJETT

sorry for the spelling as i am dyslexic next time i will get my kid to help.for the engine time will tell
Old 03-21-2008, 06:32 PM
RAMMJETT

sorry richard d that post was for (dopp)i see now what i have done my mistake
Old 03-21-2008, 06:52 PM
RAMMJETT

richard now this post is for you.you are telling me zenoah is a top power engine.i was just trying to tell (DOPP) that the cilinders purpose built for aircraft engines will provide better power then ones with caped off ports and weigh less.i guess zenoah is a good example .
Old 03-21-2008, 07:30 PM

Hey guy, it is just a personal point of view on the Zenoah. The point I was trying to make is that conversion engines can be well adapted. Just ask anyone with a Brillelli, they utilize a Poulan Chainsaw head and have a great following.

Now that Zenoah 62 in the vid turns a Vess 22A at 8400 rpm which requires between 7 and 7.5 horses to do. I worked around it being heavy (10 oz more than a DA-50) and on maiden day the plane weighed 16.0 lbs with that warbird engine on it.

The purpose built ones are great too. Go wiith your desire and wallet. You never know, I understand that DA started somewhere too.

I have owned DA's, 3W's, Zenoahs, FPE's and Torche's. So far there is no perfect engine. If so part of the perfection would be low cost, all the attributes we look for, instant service and all the other companies would just simply go away.

Good luck with your choice.

Richard

PS I really hope to hear more on this plane and the Extra in flight reports....it really is a good deal on the $$ end.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:49 PM
RAMMJETT

richard i was never trying to put down these engines.i also have many differant engines .and have made many twins with the same cilinders.even a 106 cc 4cycle.on previous post this thread.most of my pals on this thread are at high altitude and need very high power low weight.low cost.low matinance .i figure the only thing fits that bill is DL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.