Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Canopy Repair Glue or Tape

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Canopy Repair Glue or Tape

Old 03-18-2008, 06:35 PM
CaptDave2
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canopy Repair Glue or Tape

What have you used that works well for cracked canopy repair? Until replacement is painted and mounted to hatch, which tape or glue works well on clear canopy cracked in shipping on a big Yak?
Old 03-18-2008, 07:13 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: Canopy Repair Glue or Tape

Clear packing tape works.

It would be pretty hard to glue it.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Oilsands

I have a small crack on the canopy that I have as well. I am looking at trying a hot glue gun to repair. I think it would work well (I do not have the option of a new canopy unless I make one).
Old 03-18-2008, 10:46 PM
martinarcher
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Oilsands

I have a small crack on the canopy that I have as well. I am looking at trying a hot glue gun to repair. I think it would work well (I do not have the option of a new canopy unless I make one).

I had a little crack in my Ultimate cowl. I was instructed to drill a very small hole in the end of the crack and so far it seems to have worked. In the past I have tried tape and glue and neither seemed to work well. This cowl is glues onto the fuse with canopy glue.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:53 PM
Oilsands

Thanks, will drill the hole. That should help to keep it from spreading.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:13 AM
Oilsands

ORIGINAL: martinarcher

ORIGINAL: Oilsands

I had a little crack in my Ultimate cowl. I was instructed to drill a very small hole in the end of the crack and so far it seems to have worked. In the past I have tried tape and glue and neither seemed to work well. This cowl is glues onto the fuse with canopy glue.
I ended up drilling a small hole to keep the crack from spreading. The crack was a total of about 1 1/4" long. I tried the hot glue, but it did not look very good, peeled the glue off. I then used 5 min expoxy and using a tooth pick put a very small amout along the crack (edge of the crack where is mates with the other side) and let it join back together. It seems to have worked very well and not very noticable (the glue that is).
Old 03-26-2008, 07:53 AM
thevirginian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use thinned epoxy and 0.75 oz cloth on the inside of a cracked canopy for a permanet repair. If you do it right it is hardly noticable.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:04 AM
richie5150

Fiberglass cloth and epoxy sounds good. It would be great to see pictures of a repair. I found it easiest to use a heated brad nail to make a hole, at the end of the split, to stop it from spreading. Drilling can work, but it's more difficult and I have missed the end of the split and/or caused it to split further. It's not easy sometimes, to be gentle, with a 5 lb drill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15972.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1601325  
Old 05-06-2011, 04:58 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about heating a small nail and melting the end of the crack instead of drilling it? May be less traumatic on the surrounding plastic if done right. Also Goop might work on a crack. Use just a little on the inside and outside of canopy. It's clear and dries sort of like a hard rubber.

Another thing that might work, it sounds funny, but clear covering on the inside and outside of the canopy over the crack. Use low heat to not melt the plastic. It could end up being almost invisible.