Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Still no regulators, going strong

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Still no regulators, going strong

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 06:26 PM
skrednik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Still no regulators, going strong

I'm curious about unregulated ignitions. Specifically running 2 cell Lipo or Lions unregulated into a DA50 or DA100. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 04-30-2008, 10:34 PM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

Yes on the Da 100, 3W106 and the ZDZ80. All worked perfectly well with unregulated li-poly batteries.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:41 AM
telejojo

What about gyro's? I don't know if they will hold up.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:29 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: Darrinc

Yes, and as I said, weather permiting. Please read the whole post, not just take things out of context. Thank you.

Speaking of flying out of manufatures spec's, where do you think we get out servo's for UAV's under 20ft wingspans? Some special mil spec servo? Nope, we get them from where we all buy them and they are straight out of the box stock. Needless to say, we use them in extreme climates and temperature variations and with tons of dust and under incredible stress.

And I am happy to say that they work just fine. (these are not high end servo's btw, heck, I would not even use them in a .25 size plane, but they work for what we do)

And the question I ask all of you,. What have you done lately to enhance the modeling community. Things like making or figuring out things to make this hobby cheaper or easier for the average person to do at home or afford. Help to encourage a person to try something different. Maybe helping a person that is trying something new with positive input. Help create the next big thing in modeling. The modelers used to run the RC directions, so how could we put it back in our court instead of the manufactures.
These are things that I hoped to had seen happen here on these forums after being away from RCU for a couple of years.
Hello Darrinc,

It has been a very long time since I have seen you active in the forum, and it's great to hear from you. You are so right, keeping it simple gets all those critical points of failure out of the picture. Many modelers place as much hardware as they can afford inside there airframes. More cost, more complexity and more weight, not really a winning combination is it. I remember a year or two ago when I started flying the DX7 in one of my 40% planes in an effort to keep things lighter I utilized a single Fromeco Wolvering switch and had them set it up with two battery imput and three output. This allowed me to run two 2600 mil packs feeding two receivers and the ignition module off the same switch. Most people said it was going to cause bind issues due to direct link and crash the airplane. Keep in mind they had never tried it themselves but had their negitive inputs anyway. I am happy to say that was over 200 trouble free flights ago. DA ignitions are quite and 2.4 is a long way from 72M. isn't it....

Bob

Old 05-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Darrinc

Wow Bob, that is very cool, i have never tried that. I will look into that
Old 05-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Darrinc

Never used gyros, so no idea
Old 05-02-2008, 08:15 AM
Stuart D

Darrinc , mate good to hear your still kicking around . I followed your credo a few years back when I had my little 2.3 Extra .

Sorry to say I didnt have the minerals to do the same with my 2.6 Yak and then later my 3.0 Yak . I went the whole 9 yards

with regs , power expanders and multi servo controlls . I will say I have done all my planes on LiPo so I hope I score some

points .

Looks like to hobby world may of been listening to you crys of fowl ball after all with the introduction of A123 into the mix .

No regs , straight switch and batts than can pull 50C .

I dont know how long its been since I last posted on RCU but its good to see you loving life

Stu
Old 05-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Darrinc

Your in one of my favorite cities btw. My girlfriend lives up in the Atherton Tablelands in Qweensland, so I do not get down to your area that much.

I have no experiance with the A123 cells, seems everytime I come home there is a new battery out. Via technology, but I will be happy when I can quit buying chargeres ever couple of years.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:44 AM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Darrinc

Interesting that U say ur running the DA Ignition with unregulated Li-Po cells.

Spoke to 3 of DAs top people in Tuscon and they all said NOT to do this. It would fry the ignition module.

Dave Johnson
Brian Hueffmeier
Tony Russo

This is a Quote right from the DA Manual

Isolate the charge circuit from the ignition while charging the batteries. In other words, don’t
“charge” the ignition module while charging the battery.
Use 4.8 or 6.0 volt batteries only. (We see no significant difference in engine performance
between the two.) The ignition will tolerate the peak charge voltage on these packs. Higher
voltage batteries will damage the ignition system and will void the warranty. We recommend
a 1500 mAh or larger pack. With this size pack, the ignition pack should last longer than your
receiver pack will. If a meter shows 5.0 volts or less, don’t fly. Re-charge. Use a 5.2 to 6.0
volt regulator on packs rated above 6.0 volts.

Regarding the ZDZ ignition

Originally shipped with Falcon Ignitions this ignition was like the DA you could not use anything over 6 volts.

The new ZDZ ignition is now certified to 9 Volts and I have used them with unregulated Li-Pos with no ill effects.

Ian