Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

First Attempt

Old 05-09-2003, 09:13 AM
Haoleman
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Attempt

I'm going to start construction of my first scratch built 1/4 scale plane this coming Fall. The question I have is whether it is necessary to use any glues other than CA and epoxy. I've heard that some build their airframes with carpenter's glue. Is this a good idea?

Terry
Old 05-09-2003, 12:14 PM
macmaster77

Default Glues

I am currently building the 35% Hurley Extra. I am using mostly medium CA and Epoxy. I am using the Epoxy in all the high stress areas. Also, I am using some Metal Set. This stuff will stick to anything. On the tubes is says "Used for Industrial and Military Applications". Also, be warned...it is not the cheapest stuff out there. I used this stuff to bond the aluminum landing gear to the wood landing plate. I also used it to attach the fiberglass cowl to the wooden cowl ring. I don't know if your wings are foam or not like mine. I am going to use the epoxy that aero-composites sells. It is supposed to be better stuff than the stuff that you can get at the local hobby store. Aero-composites epoxy is also sandable. Again, I paid close to $45 a quart for this stuff. I have also read that Pro-Bond from Home Depot will work and is cheaper. If all you wanted to use was the CA and regular Epoxy that would be OK. Hope this helps....

Spencer
Old 05-09-2003, 03:42 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Default First Attempt

Check the kit building forum you'll get more responses.

Alphatic resin for balsa doublers ( large area, sheet to sheet) cheap, light, strong.

RD