Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

The Dawghouse Yak55sp 30%

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Hibrass
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Dawghouse Yak55sp 30%

Hiya folks,

I'm just about done assembling my 30% Yak55 from Dawghouse RC.

So far this has been a very nice build only a couple of items in the hardware pack were replaced other than than that it has been built straight from the box. The power will be a DL50 and the Radio system is a 2.4 Futaba on a single 6v nimh. I hope to have the all up weight this week once I get the muffler on...

More soon,

Old 08-18-2008, 08:13 PM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: The Dawghouse Yak55sp 30%

can't wait for flight report and all up weight.been looking at this one myself.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Hibrass

Closetguy,

Flight test soon! As long as I don't have to much clean up from this little storm headed our way...

In the meantime I was able to way the Yak this evening and it is 16lbs 15ozs. This includes a pitts muffler and the batteries and a dry 20oz fuel tank. I still need to finish checking the Elevator trim and the Throttle settings after the engine is run up, so I sitll have a lot of work to do...

I may look for a set of carbon gear, I think you could save at least 1/3 of a pound with a decent set... (Might have to give Graphtech a ring and see what they have that might work.)

I have to give Dawghouse credit when they shipped the Bird the cowl arrived with a crack in the rim... (No fault of theirs, it appears the USPS put in seriuos effort to defeat the packaging.) I call up Dawghouse RC and they had a replacement out to in less than 3 days... Can't beat that.. And the striping still matched!

If the DL can make the power this should be a real fun airplane...!

More soon,
Old 08-19-2008, 07:18 AM
Hibrass

Ok, a little feedback on the hardwear included with the Plane...

The Control linkage is very nice and I see no reason to replace it.. The only change I made there is the 3mm or 8/32 rod used for the the Rudder control horn.. It was a little on the short side for the 3inch setup I was going to use so I replaced it with a 4 inch piece from the local Hardware store..

The Main gear are very substantial... Thats a nice way of saying it is heavy... The tires and hardware to mount them is more than adaquate for the job again no reason to replace or use something else... The tail wheel assembly and tiller control is also very nice, I did replace the provided tail wheel a larger one since I fly off grass. The one provided would work just fine on a hard surface runway...

The 2.5mm bolts are ok but for a more convienant tool box I exchange it for standard 4-40 hardware that I laying around....

More later,
Old 08-21-2008, 05:32 AM
Hibrass

Well everyone I'm afraid I don't have much in the way of updates.

Our little tropical storm Fay has decided to hang around so I don't expect to get any flying in this weekend. I haven't even been able to go outside and test run the engine....

So I will work on a few little details and hope for the weather to clear soon...!

More later,
Old 08-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Hibrass

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/galleryItem.cfm?itemID=151822&dummy=4870.139326520246&opener=/community/profile.cfm%3Fsection%3Dgallery%26memid%3D168694]Picture[/link]
http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/ga...memid%3D168694

I really don't know why I can't inline my picture... But anyway....

The Bird is at 17lbs as you see it with a TME smoke system... I'm sure I'm going to add a little more after the engine is run up and the final balencing is completed.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Hibrass

[img] http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/ga...memid%3D168694 [/img]

Done! Ready to maiden without the smoke system.

Ed
Old 08-27-2008, 06:02 AM
Eagleburger

looks good. I wonder if it is made in the same factory as my 87" yak55 that I bought from a local seller?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26242.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	1020397  
Old 08-27-2008, 06:22 AM
Hibrass

Eagleburger,

I would have to see the internal structure to be sure but it sure does look the same.... I love the Color Scheme!

Good luck with it!

Ed
Old 08-27-2008, 08:40 AM
Sewerdude
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking forward to the maiden report. I was eyeing this plane at Toledo this year. It might just have to be my winter build plane.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Eagleburger

Its back in the box till I finish another project.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:03 AM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

Yes your sukhoi has the same structure, diffrent covering. We are now selling this version of 50cc airplanes so we can get our line up and going. It will be exact as our EG line as far as construction and hardware but will be lacking the Ultracote.

Scott
www.dawghouserc.net
Old 08-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Hibrass

Hiya Scott!

Nice to see you drop into this thread...!

Well folks I have an abbreviated flight report..! :-)

The weather today sucked... And the Mosquitos were even worse.... If you have never visited Florida during the rainy season in the dead of summer, well you had better bring some extra blood, you're gonna need it.... LOL

Wind was mostly down the runway @ 15mph gusting to 25mph and mostly cloudy... :-( I have been waiting so long that I just had to risk it...

So performance info is kind of shakey as the wind at Alt was really rough so it was hard to determine how the plane was trimming... No Rudder trim was needed, Aileron trim appears to be spot on... But I did need about 2 to 3 degrees of up trim... But the Bird required no down elevator when inverted??? It was damn near neutral in either attitude...

Weight dry was 16lbs 11ozs with no smoke equipment.

Tracking during takeoff was beautiful with just a bit of rudder to fight the wind.... Tracking in the vertical and in Loops appear decent but was hard to judge in the rough wind upstairs.

Knifesedge flight required about a 6% rudder to elevator mix (it pushed to the wheels abit.) both left and right and this does jive with the tail heavy impression and the inverted performance.

Landings were the best I have ever done even considering the weather conditions 3 pointers with a bit of power and no signs of dropping a wing.....

The only thing I noticed was I could cause a rudder induced snap if I fed in max rudder while at nearly zero airspeed. But given the wind conditions I will need to play with it some more and see what effect adjusting the CG has...

Overall I'm thrilled! It is easier to fly than my 14lb 80inch Cap232 and it has a larger performance envelope!

The DL50 has only 3 tanks of gas through it so there is still a lot of tuning and performance to go!

More soon,

Ed

Oh and if you have a specific questions just ask and I will try to answer...
Old 08-30-2008, 07:26 PM

Howdy Hibrass.

I have had one of these since March, with about 70 or so flights, and really like it.

Thought I would give you a heads up, that if you haven't already, I'd recommend reinforcing the motor box with tri-stock. I've had both the top and bottom plywood come loose on mine.

Other than that, it's been rock solid.

Good luck with your Yak.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:38 AM
Hibrass

Thanks for the "Heads Up", Scott suggested I check that very thing when I ordered the Bird from him. Can't beat a honest retailer!!!! Hell, the origanal Cowl was damaged in transit and he had a new Cowl to me in 3 days...

Sadly Florida weather is being effected by several nearby storm systems so I don't know how much flying I will get in during the coming week, hopefully I will at least be able to tweak the motor some more and work on the CG..

More soon,

Ed
Old 08-31-2008, 11:13 AM
apriliamille

ORIGINAL: v-snap

Yes your sukhoi has the same structure, diffrent covering. We are now selling this version of 50cc airplanes so we can get our line up and going. It will be exact as our EG line as far as construction and hardware but will be lacking the Ultracote.

Scott
www.dawghouserc.net

hmm i saw your "new line" on the site these are inbound for arrival when?
Old 08-31-2008, 03:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Hibrass

Thanks for the "Heads Up", Scott suggested I check that very thing when I ordered the Bird from him. Can't beat a honest retailer!!!! Hell, the origanal Cowl was damaged in transit and he had a new Cowl to me in 3 days...

Sadly Florida weather is being effected by several nearby storm systems so I don't know how much flying I will get in during the coming week, hopefully I will at least be able to tweak the motor some more and work on the CG..

More soon,

Ed
Yep, Scott has been very good to work with.

Too bad you're not up here flying. Not to rub it in or anything, but we've had perfect weather for a few weeks now, low to mid 80's, sunny, calm.[8D]

But in a couple months, I'll be wishing I was in Florida, for sure.

Good luck.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:06 AM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: apriliamille

Scott
www.dawghouserc.net

hmm i saw your "new line" on the site these are inbound for arrival when?

They are being drop shipped direct at this time. We will be bringing them in slowly while we upgrade to ultracote (funding). So basically I am handling all orders and having them sent direct to the customer right now. Expect a price around 479.99 with $100 shipping charges on all the "New Line" items. As stated it is all the high quality as the EG line with C.F. tubes and and all hardware. Only exception is the covering.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:59 AM
Eagleburger

Scott
www.dawghouserc.net

I am really impressed with mine as far as construction and the wheels are the best I have seen for their lightweight. I wish I could get some more for my other plane. I weighed everything and got 10.75lb. With 6 servos, carbon gear and DA-50 should be ~15lb. I can wait till the board is clean, looks like a real easy build. The electric ARFs from the same manufacturer are the quickest and easiest build I have ever done.

I have carbon gear that will give me 1" less ground clearance, will this be too short for a 23" prop?
Old 09-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Hibrass

Ok guys!

Flight report! Today I got a chance to do some tuning and real flying today.

Downlines with just a slight pull to the canopy, no need for a mix.

Knife edge at mid to hi throttle settings. 10% Rudder to elevator mix and about 6% Aileron mix. I'm tail heavy and require almost no down elevator for inverted flight.

Harriers, inverted are a joy to putter around on rudder. Even a novice like me can make them look good. Upright Harriers have a little wing rock but a little aileron differencal seems to help. I took 10% out of the down side on both ailerons..

Rolls, in my plane I had no walking left or right. They weren't quit axial but I think playing with more aileron differently will improve that.

Elevators! Rock on this plane! You can get it to drop nearly straight down! Waterfalls are a little sloppy but because my motor is not fully broken in I think I'm carrying to much idle and speed.. I will have to work on those more later.

Other elevator related behavior... The elevators on this plane are really powerful very much like a Cap 232. Once trimmed I didn't have any issue with elevator related trim or twists.. (Very Happy.)

Hovers..... And Torque rolls... I'm a true novice when it comes to this and this plane makes me look like a pro..! I haven't had the balls to get lower but It is not because I don't trust the airframe....

Flat spins are not something I'm good at.. I'm still trying to get a nice one I just think it is me right now.. More later once I have a friend try it and see what his feedback is...

Stalls are just silly... I have driven 40 size trainers that don't stall as nice as this plane. And slow speed behavior is great. I was able to take off, climb into a half loop, roll out and then split S at the other end of the field and land all within the length of the field... Our runway is only 300 by 50... What more can you say...

Well that is it for now if anyone has anymore questions just let me know and I will try to answer them or go out and fly it somemore and find out!!

This is just a really nice bird guys... Really nice....

Ed "Hibrass" Harley
Old 10-01-2008, 09:47 AM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

Ed,

Nice report. I finally got mine in the air yesterday. Pretty impressive machine, IMO. I have a DL-50, Vess 23a, HS-985s all around.

Knife edge pulls to the gear some, but not enough to worry about a mix.
The rudder is very strong. My low rate was enough for HAKE, and KE Loops.
I could not keep the the ARF from torque rolling using full aileron throws.
IMAC Sportsman sequence was very clean on the 2nd trim flight. (Note: The rudder is very strong, so setup your throws for sharp snaps).

I'm light, around 16lbs. Hovers at 1/3 throttle. Ballistic pull out.

My rolling stuff is way out of whack with this ARF... but that's me... I fly mostly 260's, Edges, and Yak54's. This is a little different.. In a good way.

I had to add 1 oz to the tail, but I can move my battery back, and get rid of the 1 oz.

How much elevator throw are you using? I have 45degrees up, and down... My harriers, and elevators have alot of wing rock without spoilers... Rocks a little with spoilers....

Also, It rolls a little weird to the right...

This is nice ARF, and just remember I have 3 10 minutes flights on mine.... It usually takes me 20 flights to get it dialed in.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Hibrass

Dennis,

I'm just now getting My DL on it's flying prop which is a Xoar 23/8. So now I can start to finish the rest of the trimming process...

My max elevator throw is 40 degrees on Hi rates. I have adjust the C/G some since the post above and the snap behavior at zero speed has improved, I'm still looking for the sweetspot for a nice flatspin... Not quite there yet... :-) 16lbs is a great weight, I tried to keep mind simple and I'm still at 16lb 11oz. Still a great weight in my opinion.....

Oh on the wing rock, have you checked your lateral balence??? I did need to add a 1/4 oz of lead to the right wing tip and it did make the plane much more neutral...

Good Luck!
Old 01-15-2009, 10:32 PM
mandtra
My Feedback: (29)

where is your CG at Hibrass, Frieshoo, and 804 ??
Old 01-16-2009, 06:45 AM
Hibrass

Mandtra,

I'm afraid I really don't know now. I set it up intially with it near the reward position of the suggested CG range... I have sinced move it back based on the way it flew inverted but I haven't remeasured it lately.. If I get a chance this evening I will check...

Good Luck,

Hibrass
Old 01-16-2009, 08:41 AM

Before I destroyed my first fuselage, I had moved mine back about 3/4 inch behind the recommended CG.
My new fuse came more nose heavy, so with the same setup, I am right at 6 inches. I am going to try to get it back to where the original was, but have to build a battery tray about 12 inches behind the cockpit to do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.