Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Dodge Durango for 40%???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:59 PM
golfingguy27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Durango for 40%???

Hey Guys,
Does anybody happen to have a Dodge Durango and know what my chances are of getting a 40% plane into it for transportation? I am looking to buy a new vehicle and a new plane and want to coordinate the two. In specific I am looking at a 39% Krill Katana that is 107" long. The rudder does come off easily if it needs to, to gain a few inches of space. I am planning on going to a dealership tomorrow and measuring, but figured I would ask here first.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 12-22-2008, 10:34 PM
Andrew_S
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Dodge Durango for 40%???

My ex had one, a 2002 model...My 33% hanger 9 cap would go in barely, I had to take the spinner off and the tail stuck between the 2 front seats....I now have a suburban and it will go in fuselage complete with spinner and still have about 10 " of clearance....
Old 12-22-2008, 10:38 PM
golfingguy27

Hhmm... well, based upon your description, my chances aren't sounding good... BUT I am looking at newer models which may be longer because they have 3rd row seating. I guess I will just have to go to the dealership tomorrow and measure unless somebody pops up that has experience with closer to what I am looking at. I'm just dreading going to the dealership because with the trouble the auto industry is in right now, I am guessing the salemen are going to be like vultures as soon as I set foot on the lot and I'm not ready for that yet!
Old 12-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Andrew_S

Afriend of mine has a 35% edge, the tail is up front with him between the 2 front weats and the prop hub is up againest the back glass with no spinner or prop...He has a mid sized chevy van...What do u haul it around in now? I'm not sure if a 40% would even fit into my suburban..All the 40% i have seen are hauled in trailers..If possible take the bird with u when u go to the dealer and see if she will fit in...
Old 12-22-2008, 11:10 PM
golfingguy27

I don't have the plane yet... I am deciding on a new plane and new vehicle together. I would like to go 40% if I can without a trailer or buying a huge gas guzzling vehicle as it will be my every day driver too. If I can't I will have to give up hope for the Katana and find something smaller that I like.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:49 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

Two words: minivan...

I can fit full-size sheets of plywood or sheetrock in my Honda Odyssey, completely behind the front seats, and lumber up to 11' long between the seats, all with the rear gate closed. It gets 24+ mpg on the road, and has good snow performance with the Blizzaks. I can pack in more suitcases, toys and shiz than I ever could in the old Sequoia. The Sequoia is bigger than the Durango as I recall, so I hope that helps (and keeps things on topic)

The virility factor is admittedly low, but all the carload of screaming kids has a tendency to counteract that ;D No questioning the fecundity of the driver...
Old 12-22-2008, 11:50 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen a Carden 40% Extra go into a Ford Explorer. Where there is a will there is a way; taking the rudder and spinner off can reduce the size of the fuse by a fair amount.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:54 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Flyfalcons

I have seen a Carden 40% Extra go into a Ford Explorer. Where there is a will there is a way; taking the rudder and spinner off can reduce the size of the fuse by a fair amount.
Dick Hanson used to haul a 40% Radiocraft Extra to the field in a 1992 Subaru Loyale. The plane was bigger than the car. The rudder protruded a couple of feet.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:57 PM
golfingguy27

well.. I guess the botom line is I need to go measure one and see how close it is to working or not. Since I don't already have the plane to go try it in. I don't want to have to leave anything hanging outside, as I may travel to a few contests with it and would want it protected from weather and locked up.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:20 AM
swk550
My Feedback: (76)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan with the Sto-n-go seats. I can fit my 42% Dalton Exrtra 300 ML edition (118" long) with ease. I do have to remove the stabs. The rudder clears the radio by around four inches. It's not a bad car considering I get some 20 MPG.

Steve
Old 12-23-2008, 09:13 AM
golfingguy27

a minivan is not an option for me... I am 31 and still single, and if I buy a minivan as my every day driver, I will probably stay single until I get rid of it!
Old 12-23-2008, 10:51 AM
david57

I have a 2005 Durango and have no problem putting a 40% carden 260 in it with the stabs removed. My QQ Python will also fit without a problem. David
Old 12-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Andrew_S

2005 Durango and have no problem putting a 40% carden 260 in it with the stabs removed

Wow...Well there ya go...
Old 12-23-2008, 12:44 PM
smarks

ORIGINAL: BTerry

Two words: minivan...

I can fit full-size sheets of plywood or sheetrock in my Honda Odyssey, completely behind the front seats, and lumber up to 11' long between the seats, all with the rear gate closed. It gets 24+ mpg on the road, and has good snow performance with the Blizzaks. I can pack in more suitcases, toys and shiz than I ever could in the old Sequoia. The Sequoia is bigger than the Durango as I recall, so I hope that helps (and keeps things on topic)

The virility factor is admittedly low, but all the carload of screaming kids has a tendency to counteract that ;D No questioning the fecundity of the driver...
That is too funny, LMAO. I am in the same boat. But I am ok with my virility factor. Also, Bill Hempel is part of the manvan club which makes me feel better.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37469.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1095048  
Old 12-23-2008, 01:18 PM
gadix
My Feedback: (2)

man
i wish you that this is will be your only problem in life

to get the plan and only than the car to take to the field[X(]

man... you are lucky

happy hannukka and marry christmas
shalom from sunny israel
Old 12-23-2008, 08:13 PM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

I have a 2005 Dodge Durango as well. I went to the dealer with a 40% in my F.O.R.D. and said, "I want to buy a durango IF this will fit in! He said, "Let me help you!" I said, "No, you won't be at the field. Let me do it and you get the sale if it fits.

So, yes, 40% fit in with room to spare. With all of that said with a Minivan you could get more than one plane in, but who wants to "cruse" with a Mini???
Old 12-24-2008, 12:05 AM
smarks

Well, I bet your Durango doesn't have remote sliding doors like my Manvan..... Chicks dig that!
Old 12-24-2008, 12:09 AM
golfingguy27

thanks for the input guys.. It is good to know a 40%er will fit if I decide to go that route. I can't decide what I want to do yet. I've been looking at the Pilot-Rc Yaks tonight. They look good from what I have seen and read. Just don't know if I would want to go 35% or 37.5% if decide to go new instead of used.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:19 PM
Bass1

I am 31 and still single, and if I buy a minivan as my every day driver, I will probably stay single until I get rid of it
True,...but all that extra cash AND time for more 40% planes makes it an even tradeoff. OR it could work the opposite effect .. by purchasing a minivan you're basically showing the world that your're already prepped to be a soccer dad which IS appealing to most women your age[X(]!
Old 01-01-2009, 10:08 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: golfingguy27

I don't have the plane yet... I am deciding on a new plane and new vehicle together. I would like to go 40% if I can without a trailer or buying a huge gas guzzling vehicle as it will be my every day driver too. If I can't I will have to give up hope for the Katana and find something smaller that I like.
Get a van like maybe a Ford E-150 or Chevy or Dodge of the same size 250's if you want a 3/4 ton chassie. I have a E-150 12 passenger van that I just took all the seats out and you can just about put a full size J-3 in the thing.

You have two ways to go with these vans.............. get a "can" just the drivers and front passenger seats and nothing else.(cheapest way to go) or get a passenger version like mine and remove the seats as needed. They just snap out and in . This way you have all the padding and carpeting and sound proofing as well as extra seating if needed. But they cost just a bit more. I have also seen the new Doge/Chrysler minivans.... they are real nice and all seats fold flat behind the drivers seat. They are also better on gas.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:07 AM
Lozak

I can carry my 41% Extra or my 150cc Aeroworks Yak in my Durango. Stabs/elevators off, tail first. I wouldn't have a mini van.

John
Old 02-04-2009, 12:22 AM
golfingguy27

It's funny that I just got a new response to my question.. I just drove to Ohio this past weekend and picked up my 42% Dietrich Extra 260 in my Durango that I just bought last week. It fit great. I am going to make the rudder removeable on it, as the rudder on that plane is HUGE and totally blocked my view of the right side mirror.