Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Brent Good Custom Airframes 106" Yak 54

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Brent Good Custom Airframes 106" Yak 54

Old 01-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Brent G
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brent Good Custom Airframes 106" Yak 54

Well I spent most of the day sanding and putting the first layer of filler on the plug. I have it rough sanded and the first coat of high build up primer has been sprayed. Next I will need to block sand it to find all the low spots. After that I will use glazing putty to fill the low spots. This is a very time consuming process. The plug needs to be perfect. Any flaws will show up in the mold.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39478.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1118508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53280.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1118509  
Old 01-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Brent G

The plug is getting close to being finished. I have almost all the low spots filled and installed the louvers today.

I just got off the phone with Bob at DL USA. He has very generously told me that he will let us have a new DL 100 at cost for the plane that we will be giving away in August. I have flown with Bob on a couple of occasions. He is a stand up guy and I am proud to be working with him on this project. Since the engine will be coming form DL USA he will be there to service any needs for the engine and it will have the full factory waranty.

Again thank you Bob for all your help.

Name:	Fd91736.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1122017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10492.jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1122018  
Old 01-29-2009, 12:43 PM
highfly3D

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looks awesome... great project Brent...
Old 01-29-2009, 10:05 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

How did you make the louvers to put on the plug?
Old 01-29-2009, 11:11 PM
Brent G

I got those louvers from an old cowl that had been in a crash. I have made them in the past and there are several ways they can be made. There is an article in the ama magazine a year or so back that shows how to make them from balsa. That is a real good place to start. If you make one master louver you can make copies of it by molding them. When I do it that way I use a little trick from the candy industry. You take corn starch and put it in a shallow tray. Level it off and press the master louver into the corn starch. Put a handle on the master so you can pull it straight out of the corn starch. You might have to play with the moisture of the corn starch so that it makes a good impression of the louver. Once you have pressed in as many copies as you want very, very carefully fill the impressions with laminating epoxy resin. If you have a damn around all the impressions you can fill the whole area with resin and then you will have a male plug that you can vacumme bag a fiberglass layup with. You can also take that male plug and make a female mold by waxing it several times and spraying it with PVA release agent. Build a dam around the perimeter of the male plug and pour resin with microballoons mixed with it. Once the resin has cured pry apart the male and female halfs.

I hope this helps.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:32 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Definitely. I had not heard of the corn starch technique. enjoying your build very much.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Brent G

Sorry I am kind of slow on the updates. We have been cutting the foam parts and are slowly moving along. The company that was supose to cut the foam still does not have their cnc machine working. So I had a set of templates laser cut and we are cutting them by hand. Everything is turning out very nice. Wings, hatch, rudder, and turtle decks are cut. I just have the elevators and the cheeks to cut then it will be time to start sheeting. today I layed out the lightning pattern that I am going to do to my wings. There is a unidirectional carbon fiber ribon that gets laminated between the foam and the sheeting. It runs from root to tip above the CG at 1" ahead of the wing tube. That is where I have estimated the cg to be. Should be pretty close based on the 50cc version. The plane that we are giving away will probably not have the lightning done to it. I want to put the lightened wing through its paces before I let someone else take a chance on a unforseen problem. I do no that with the carbon ribon the wings are extremely strong. I did a set of wings like this for my brother and they were the toughest wings I have ever seen. I could rest the root on the ground, put 1 hand in the middle of the wing and pull on the tip with the other as hard as I could without it making a sound. His wings did not have the lightning done to them though. Still I am confident that this will be a very strong light wing.

I am interested in seeing the diference between this wing and a standard sheeted wing. When we get the 2 wings built I will weigh them and announce the results.

Here is a picture of how I am doing the lightning.

Name:	Vt55963.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1136551  
Old 02-16-2009, 09:09 PM
tsh4432
My Feedback: (11)

Brent, I wil donate a New 27X10 custom painted prop for the club plane. It was $50 for the prop and $50 for the paint. I'm sure that someone else has some un-used new gear laying around that they could also donate.

Thomas
Old 02-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Brent G

Thomas

Thanks, Take a picture of the prop and post it up for people to see. That is a very nice paint job your guy did!

Old 02-16-2009, 09:43 PM
tsh4432
My Feedback: (11)

Here you go.

Name:	Ig12167.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1137618  
Old 02-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Brent G

I just finished cutting the lightning holes in the first wing. I will be ordering the balsa next week. So hopefully I will be able to start sheeting soon.

I just weighted the lightened wing and the one that has not yet been done. I cut our 2.5 oz. of foam. I am hoping to save a total of 4 oz. per wing with the reduction in glue needed for the sheeting. The total weight for the lightned wing core is 10.2 oz.

Name:	Pm34805.jpg
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1142246  
Old 02-25-2009, 06:59 PM
Brent G

Here is the list of sponsors for the 106" yak that we will be raffleing off at our August Giant Scale fly-in. Once again I would like to thank all the sponsors for there generous support. The money raised from this project will go towards building new bathrooms at our flying field. If you get a chance drop them a note thanking them for helping clubs like ours and being true leaders in the RC industry!

DL USA dl100 engine

http://www.dlusa.net/

TnT Landing Gear, Landing gear, carbon wing and stab tubes, tires and axels

http://www.tntlandinggear.com/

Kirby Kustom Graphics, vinyl graphics

http://www.kirbysgraphics.com/

Troybuilt Models, HD9150MG servos

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/

Lake Wylie Hobby, Covering

http://www.lakewyliehobby.com/

Hobby Stop in rock hill, Linkage and misc parts

http://www.hobbystop.com/subsite/default.htm

Tikets will be available at the events through out the Carolina's. The plane will also be at Joe Nall along with the one that I am building and flying.
We will be putting up information on how to get tickets on our website. http://yorkcountyflyers.com/ Stop in and check us out.

Tickets will be $5.00 each. Sorry no discounts for volume purchases. The winner does not need to be present to win. The only thing about not attending is that the winner will have to make arrangements for shipping or pick up. Our club will do as much as we can to help deliver the plane if the winner is out of the area.

This will be a top notch custom built plane, built by some of the finest builders in our club.

Stay tuned for more information on this plane and my build.
I am almost finished cutting the foam parts and the contest grade balsa (for both planes) is on the way!

Old 02-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Brent G

The parts are finaly starting to arrive. Balsa will be in next week. Here are some pictures of the plane with some of the peices just setting in place.

Name:	Qo39382.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	1145591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50547.jpg
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1145592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37310.jpg
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1145593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au55563.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1145594  
Old 03-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Brent G

I just got off the phone with Bob at DL USA. He told me that we would be getting one of the new DL 111cc engines for the raffle plane instead of the DL 100. This is a new enging from DL and will be setting the bar pretty high for power and price. The new engine is 3oz lighter than the 100 and has a ton more gurnt! I am very excited about this new offering and can't wait to give this plane to someone to enjoy! We will be getting the engine in a few weeks. When I get it in my hands I will post some pictures of this new offering from DL USA.

Again, Thanks Bob
Old 03-03-2009, 05:42 AM
airwayman
My Feedback: (2)

I'm in for $100 worth of tickets. Let me know when they are available. Airwayman
Old 03-20-2009, 10:25 PM
Brent G

Sheeting is finally hear. I have spent the last 3 night sheeting parts. I am down to 1 wing and the hatch left to sheet. The parts are turning out very nice. Everything is getting sheeted with 3/32 contest grade. Everything feels very light. I should have the last wing in the vacumme bag tomorrow morning. I am planning on starting to cut the hinge lines saturday night and sunday. With a little luck I should be ready to start covering in about 1 more week, maybe a little longer.

Name:	Sq48270.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1162235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80515.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1162236  
Old 03-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Brent G

I just weighed the plane. It was like it looks in the above picture but with the sheeted wings added. I am very pleased with the weight. It came in 17lbs 3oz. That is the weight with the wings, stabs, rudder, turtledeck, engine, prop and spinner. I am estimating the additional things needed to finish the plane at 8 lbs. That will include the radio, covering, hatch and canopy, cowl. So it looks like I should get the plane in some where around 25 lbs. maybe even a little less.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:10 PM
Brent G

I am working on laying up the first cowl. The plane is almost ready to cover. I only need to glue in the servo mounts, finish the hatch and drill the hard points. Here are some pictures with it together. The way the plane sits it is just over 17.5 lbs.

Name:	Wu61511.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1170119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92175.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1170120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99490.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	1170121   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp38696.jpg
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	1170122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny26045.jpg
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1170123  
Old 04-01-2009, 03:58 AM
airwayman
My Feedback: (2)

What engine do you have on the plane? Looks like a 3W 106CS. I thought you were going to use a DL100?
Old 04-01-2009, 06:22 AM
Brent G

The DL111 is going on the one that we are giving away. That one is a 3W 106CS.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Brent G

Hello everyone!

It has been quite a while since I posted about the new Yak. I have it up and flying. The thing is a monster. It did come in a little heavier than I was hoping though. It came in at just over 29 pounds. Once I got thinking about it though it made sense. This is a big plane! It looks like it is between a 100cc and 150cc plane when you set them side by side. With the 2075sq" of wing it flies feather light. I did the maiden flight the night before a IMAC contest. I got kind of lucky with the set up. It flew just about perfect right from the start. CG was spot on to just slightly nose heavy. I had a pretty good idea of where I thought it should balance. Myself and another guy put our fingers under the tips and thought it was pretty close, so I just flew it. 2 clicks of elevator and 1 click of aileron was all it needed. I had a few guys fly it and give me their thoughts. One of the unlimited pilots could not beleive that it rolled perfectly axial right and left on uplines with no differential! Knife edge mixing is 2% opposite rudder. I haven't mixed the elevator yet. It only takes a breath of down. I am estimating it will need 1%-2% down elevator mix. I mixed in a 2% down elevator on low throttle to correct the small tendency to pull out on downlines. With the 106 it is a rocket. Most of the flying is done at 1/4 throttle. I reserved full throttle for long uplines only. On a down line with the throttle cut the plane slows down great. It will actually do uplines at the same speed as the down lines. Uplines were dead on straight with no rudder trim needed. The plane performed inside and outside manuvers perfectly straight as well.

Did my first flights with just 1 7955 ht servo on the rudder. That just wasn't enough. I was waiting for the new 403oz servo to come out. I have since decided to add a second 7955 servo just so that I have more than enough power. The rudder on this plane looks more like a 40%er. It measures 22" tall and 13" deep from the center of the hinge line. I installed the aileron servos and hooked them up with a y-harness. I was plesently supprised that I didn't have to use a matchbox or reprogram them. I think this is because with the servo laying flat it moves on the same plane as the hinge line. At full 3D diflection you can slip the pin out of the controll horn with no presure on the servo.

I haven't done a lot of 3D with it yet. I don't want to take a chance on destroying the prototype before Joe Nall. What I and others have done with 3D with the plane has been a blast. The plane is rock solid and totally predictiable. Rolling manuvers, harriers, elevators, walls are all great. Slow flight charteristics are great. One guy at our field flew it slower than I had planned. He made a down wind turn that I thought for sure would stall the plane. It didn't even hint at dropping a wing. I asked him to do that kind of thing a little higher next time. He was about 20 feet off the ground and on low rates. I was a little concerned that he wouldn't have enough controll input to catch the plane if it did drop.

I will have the plane at Joe Nall in a week and 1/2 for people to check out. I will also have it's twin (the one that we are raffling off) there as well. I am hoping to get some of the pros to fly it and get their input on the plane. I am extremely excited about heading down there. If anyone has questions about the plane or would perhaps like to fly it look me up!

Here are some pictures.

Name:	Jh15257.jpg
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	1191481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61919.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1191482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52673.jpg
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1191483  
Old 06-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Brent G

Default RE: Brent Good Custom Airframes 106

Here are some pictures of the finished plane with the vinyl from Kirby Kustom graphics. These pictures were taken at Joe Nall last month. The uncoverd plane is the one that we are giving away to raise money for new bathrooms at our field. We have only sold enough tickets to just about break even. If anyone wants tickets shoot me a pm and I will get them out to you.

Name:	Jh16547.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1210252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw70962.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	1210253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43308.jpg
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	1210254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99814.jpg
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	1210255  
Old 08-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Brent G

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that purchased tickets for yak that we are giving away to raise money for bathrooms at our club. The drawing will be held tomorrow on August 22nd. The plane turned out great and someone is going to win a very nice custom plane. Here are some pictures. I am currently doing some small changes to the design. I am enlarging the tunnel and stretching the fuse a few inches. I hope to be able to offer some kits for this winters building season.

Thanks again to everone that helped with this project and a big thanks to all the sponsors.

Name:	Sq47443.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1260494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41782.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1260495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31218.jpg
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	1260496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21614.jpg
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	1260497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61086.jpg
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1260498  
Old 08-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will you be selling the cowl and canopy with the kit? Thanks.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Brent G

That is the plan once I get a plug made for the canopy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.