Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
 Cowl for GP Giant Aeromaster >

Cowl for GP Giant Aeromaster

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Cowl for GP Giant Aeromaster

Old 03-02-2009, 12:51 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Cowl for GP Giant Aeromaster

I have a Brillelli 40GT I am going to use on a GP Giant Aeromaster. I want to engine to be totally inclosed inside the cowl. The one that comes with the GP Giant Aeromaster is to narrow to do this. Does anyone know where I can get a larger cowl for this plane? It just has to be about 10 to 11" in diamiter.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:14 PM
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cowl for GP Giant Aeromaster

How about an AeroWorks 75CC Yak cowl

http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=264

Maybe the Quique 100CC Yak as well but he does not list the size. You can call them and they will certainly tell you. Great company to deal with and all of them there are a class act

Basically the only thing I can think of that would be round and large enough are the Yak planes.

For the life of me I cannot remember the name but there is/was a company out there that did custom cowls built to your specs or replacements for all sorts of planes. I had one done about 4 years ago for a Sukhoi I wrecked that was no longer made
Old 03-02-2009, 01:16 PM

Thanks Bill I'll give them a try
Old 03-02-2009, 01:30 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can try these guys they might help you out.

http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/default.htm
Old 03-02-2009, 01:40 PM

Zippy,

Thanks I'll take a look see
Old 03-02-2009, 02:06 PM
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: zippytoall

You can try these guys they might help you out.

http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/default.htm

That's them ...darn old fart moments, I hate them [&:]
Old 03-04-2009, 11:01 AM
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

How about an AeroWorks 75CC Yak cowl

http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=264

Maybe the Quique 100CC Yak as well but he does not list the size. You can call them and they will certainly tell you. Great company to deal with and all of them there are a class act

Basically the only thing I can think of that would be round and large enough are the Yak planes.

For the life of me I cannot remember the name but there is/was a company out there that did custom cowls built to your specs or replacements for all sorts of planes. I had one done about 4 years ago for a Sukhoi I wrecked that was no longer made
Hi...Ihave both the Giant Aeromaster and the QQ Python.the Paython's cowl is way way to big for the Aeromaster. He might try the cowl that Arizona Models uses on their 1/3 Jungmiester it would be a closer fit.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:04 PM

I just posted a question basically word for word a week or so ago on this very subject. I just finished a Giant Aeromaster from the kit and put in a brand new G62 with the big twin pipe muffler that now comes with them. I had thought about trying to build a cowl out of balsa/ply but decided to carefully cut the fiberglass cowl that I had for it. I am actually quite pleased how it turned out despite the amount of cutting I had to do-the plane looks very, very nice. The one complaint that i have had about the Aeromaster is the fact that it is sooooo narrow-a real PITA!! Anyway, you may just have to accept it and do what I did.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:12 PM

If I cannot find a cowl that is just a little larger in diameter I will use the stock muffler. My Brillelli 40GT is small than your G62, but the pitts style muffler I have for it hit a side of the cowl and i have to make a large oval cut for it. I was hoping not to have to cut the cowl that much.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:27 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Make the cutout for the muffler then install everything and build a blister out of balsa right over the muffler. Cover the balsa only with some kinda tape. Then fiberglass over it and onto the cowl. Pull the cowl off , hog out the balsa and Bob's your uncle. If the blister isn't too bulbous you won't even notice it once it's all painted up.
Dave
Old 03-05-2009, 11:28 AM

Someone (and it may have been you) also suggested I do that to the cowl but I just decided to make the cutout and not get too particular over this plane at this point in time. I built the GA to fly and enjoy and I devote the more meticulous techniques to scale planes-time has a factor too and I just want to have the GA ready to fly soon as I can. I can always buy another cowl at a later date and mod it to suite my needs if the desire arises. As of now, it looks pretty cool actually and I am very pleased with the outcome. I know that the big stock muffler will be much quieter (although looking inside it, it doesn't have any baffles or "filling") so it may not be as quiet as I was thinking or restrictive either but the twin pipes look nice anyhow angled down. I hope to start the G62 this afternoon-it is totally stock and brand new so I hope I can get enough RPM in the handflip to get it going as I hear until they begin breaking in they can be rather difficult to start.