Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Midwest 27% extra 330S?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 07:26 PM
jay273
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midwest 27% extra 330S?

anyone know anything about the midwest 27% extra 330S? im new to planes and have a alpha 40 trainer but i have come across this large scale plane and was thinking on purchasing it for later on...is this model really hard to fly? what type of plane is this?i just love large scale planes...any info on this plane would be great...thanks
Old 10-23-2009, 01:15 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default RE: Midwest 27% extra 330S?

I know of a Midwest 27%Extra300S. I built one about 8yrs ago. This plane is in the "unlimited aerobatic" category... its an Aerobat. Its a kit plane, kitted by... you guessed it.. Midwest. A rather nice kit actually, I had alot of fun building it. I upgraded most, if not all the hardware, as the kit I built was actually released back in the late '90's.. so it didn't have alot of newer stuff.... also mine even had a plastic cowling and wheel pants(the new kits don't even come with any cowling now). If you got some experience and like to build its a great kit. It took me about 7months of working about 3-4 evenings a week, and some weekends in there too...so there is quite a bit of work.. but easily doable.
For power I used a 50cc gas engine(BME). By replacing some key wood components and utilizing some composite material I got the weight right at 15lbs.
With this combo performance is really second to none in my opinion. Its such a stable plane, and so easy to fly.. just a big Cadillac. Not really a 3D plane at all.. way more at home in IMAC type manuevers, or turn-around style, or even spinning stuff.. it does some great great flat-spins.. and with a 50cc engine it is totally unlimited.
It will take a bit of experience to work up to that level, but if someones got some low-wing aerobatic experience.. this is really just a great size... at 80" wingspan its really borderline Giant, so its not huge by todays standards..
I didn't mention though, and it might make a difference to some(it didn't to me), but that 80" wing is a "one-piece" wing that mounts to the bottom of the fusalage... so it really wont fit in a small car.. or might not even fit a medium car.. I just haul mine in my van.
I still have mine.. and will until either it goes, or I do.. but if it goes first.. I can replace it.. if I go first.. well... I'm irreplaceable.

I'll see if I can dig up a pic of it.. I know I've posted it within this site many times.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:43 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I have an 11 year old Midwest 27% Extra 300 which is powered by a G45 and which is a nice honest flying model. It is kit built and by today's current build standards would be considered a bit on the heavy side, and of course it's 80" one piece wing makes transportation a bit of a hassle if like me you only have a car to transport your models, but overall it is a very nice flying plane.

Karol
Old 10-23-2009, 09:20 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I dug a pic up... matter of fact.. here's the link to my announcement post.. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_26.../tm.htm#268849
Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2009, 09:41 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

I have one with a Moki 2.10 on it. It's one of the nicest flying sport/ aerobatic planes around. Really smooth, tracks really nice, no bad habits. I wouldn't recommend it as a 2nd plane, but it is one that you could move up to fairly quickly.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:47 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Dont drop a 50cc in it, its old/small/heavy and has its limits.
best to keep it light and modest with a big glower.
its not a 50cc 3D or freestyle unlimited airframe,but worth building and enjoying, if you are already committed to it