Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

what is the simplest/safest/most reliable radio system for a giant?

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

what is the simplest/safest/most reliable radio system for a giant?

Old 11-16-2009, 12:37 PM
q8cub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the simplest/safest/most reliable radio system for a giant?

I just purchased an sd model YAK 50cc model which needs a radio system (Tx and Rx).

I am a computer software programmer and I know, in general, that computerized systems usually have many points of failure and this is why I always prefer "simple" systems.

I try to stay as "manual" as I can.

Given this assumption, what is the most suitable radio system from a simplicity/reliability point of view that fits such a giant model.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: what the most simplest/safest/most reliable radio system for a giant?

One of the simplest radio is unfortunately the most expensive. The Futaba 14MZ is simple to operate and works great.
However, most don't want to put out thay kind of money. For the cheapest, not simplest, that I would use in a giant scale plane would be the Futaba 10C. I think JR makes a 9 channel that would work and maybe the new HiTec Aurora 9 channel would work also. I wounld go any less than 9 channel if it were me. If you get a plane with 4 aileron servos it's nice to have the extra channels to set up. Sure makes life easy and saves money on Y harnesses and match boxes etc. Also, it's nice to have a channel for a kill switch. You need that on a giant scale plane.

Thanks
Barry
Old 11-16-2009, 12:52 PM
q8cub

Default RE: what the most simplest/safest/most reliable radio system for a giant?

This model has two ailron servos and two elevator servos, and the guy I purchased the model from used a 9 channel system.

I was thinking about using a 6 channel system by utilizing a Y cable or a matchbox for the ailron and elevator. Someone told me this could create load on the Y cable. Is this true?
Old 11-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: what is the simplest/safest/most reliable radio system for a giant?

q8cub,

The questions you're asking and the aircraft you're talking about are not in the same league, so I'm going to ask what you've flown. Giant scale 3D planes are not for beginners, but beginners ask about what radio and whether to use "Y" connectors.

If you are actually a beginner, I'm going to suggest you add a smaller training plane to your purchases, and famiarize yourself with the radio using the less expensive plane.

If I'm off base, I apologize,
Dave Olson
Old 11-16-2009, 01:15 PM
propchief
My Feedback: (65)

I use a Spektrum DX-7 (Tx) and AR-7000 (Rx). Have split elevators and ailerons with a couple mixes left over. About as simple and cost effective as it gets.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:21 PM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Simple.........7Ch radio is all you need. (something like the DX-7).

You can run every surface on its own channel and match them via the radio or if you use Hitec servos match them with the programmer they offer. You would have one RX with one satellite RX. Place the satellite antennas in a different orientation than those of the main. I like to use 2 batteries for the RX power on any plane costing over $600 as a cheap insurance. I also use a seperate switch for both batteries. Plug the batteries into any open channel. For batteries you can use some High quality NIMH, LIONS (require regulator to get them to 6v) or A123......depends on your preference. I also prefer to use an optic kill switch on any gas engine airplane. Its a simple way to kill the engine if your throttle servo or connection malfunctions. Use a pushrod for the choke to keep it simple.

You are done and kept it simple.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:53 PM
pe reivers

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are two ways to go about it.
The KISS principle, which most 9-channel radios will support, or the BEST principle, where you need the best programmable digital servo's, NO Y-cables, and a power box that will supply just the power that those servo's need.
The price difference between those two systems is, depending on the requiremets slate, HUGE!
So In order to answer your original question, it is nice to know some more facts about what you realy want.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:33 PM
q8cub

The guy who sold me the RTF 50cc yak is known for putting together the best stuff. He currently owns two turbine jets, a 150cc and 100cc gasser. He put together the 50cc which I bought. There is a power regulator in it to support three batteries, two for the receiver and servos, and one for ignition (receiver batteries are lithium).

He told me I do not need a powebox on a 50cc.

I already have a hitec 6 channel system (tx and rx) which I bought last year but rarely used it. I thought I could utilize this 6 channel system by using Y cables or matchboxes. However, if needed, I would buy a 9 channel Futaba or JR system. Also, from reading threads about 2.4 systems, it seems there are many failure points in this system. For example, if batteries run low, the system could "lock out" or reboot. Also, I read some range issues related the 2.4 system but I am not sure accurate this is.

Someone told me the JR 2.4 systems require certain steps when turning on or off, while the Futaba is more "plug-in" type.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:53 PM
pe reivers

Hey! this is a whole can of different questions from your first posting.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:48 PM
lowslow

If the guy that sold you the plane is giving you advice about not needing a power box and has all these other high end planes why isn't he helping with the radio choice?
The best thing you can do is listen to Scar and access your true abilities. Giant scale airplanes are dangerous in the wrong hands and require alot more skill and attention to detail than a typical 40 size arf.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:39 AM
Tjetfire94

Hey,
I have been flying my 50cc aerobatic plane with futaba. I use the Futaba 9CAP and I put the FASST module in it. It works like a dream and i wouldnt trade in any other radio for it. I would use the 9 channel system because you can plug in the servos into different channels such as ailerons on 1 and 6, and the elevators on 2 and 7. This way you can individually do sub-trim and adjust them to your liking.
Although, if the person you had bought the plane from has already built it to a specific set of equipment, it is probrably best to use what he used. hope this helps!
Old 11-19-2009, 10:53 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: q8cub

The guy who sold me the RTF 50cc yak is known for putting together the best stuff. He currently owns two turbine jets, a 150cc and 100cc gasser. He put together the 50cc which I bought. There is a power regulator in it to support three batteries, two for the receiver and servos, and one for ignition (receiver batteries are lithium).

He told me I do not need a powebox on a 50cc.

I already have a hitec 6 channel system (tx and rx) which I bought last year but rarely used it. I thought I could utilize this 6 channel system by using Y cables or matchboxes. However, if needed, I would buy a 9 channel Futaba or JR system. Also, from reading threads about 2.4 systems, it seems there are many failure points in this system. For example, if batteries run low, the system could ''lock out'' or reboot. Also, I read some range issues related the 2.4 system but I am not sure accurate this is.

Someone told me the JR 2.4 systems require certain steps when turning on or off, while the Futaba is more ''plug-in'' type.

Airtronics RDS8000 all the way! None of the major problems the other brands are having. There is a big thread on it the the radio forum.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:38 PM
FrankFuss

q8cub, I think you are missing out by not taking advantage of the latest radio technology. Most failures are not related to advanced radio features, but related to batteries, electrical wiring, control linkages, structural failure, servo failure, engine fuel system, engine ignition, engine tuning, vibration, etc. I also am a computer programmer of 30 years, and enjoy how easy it is to setup an aircraft using the latest computerized features.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:26 AM
jooNorway

A 50ccm plane isn`t giant, and it for sure don`t need a lot of regulators and expensive boxes on board.
One solution: buy an extra receiver for your Hitec radio and install both receivers onboard. One controlling left half of the plane and throttle. The other one controlling the right half of the plane and rudder. Use NiCd/NiMH batteries for the receiver, one for each RX. 1600mAh is propably enough.
There is only one challenge: to make sure both elevator servoes work syncron. As long as the mechanical work is done perfect (rudderhorns etc) they would propably match up good enough.
Some years ago when me and my friends stepped up to bigger 3D planes we bought a lot of expensive boxes which should ensure redundance etc, but we have found they are some times the cause for crashes. Most of my friends now run DX7 and NiXX-batteries and nothing more in their 50ccm planes. I still run 35MHz. When it comes to 100ccm and the need for dual servoes on each rudder surface it is time to get a servoprogrammer and make the system a bit redundant.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:11 AM
3DDino

my setup is like joonorway
there the best to be simplest/safest/most reliable and powerful enough
double assurance system
thx
Old 01-22-2010, 11:38 PM
WLR1974

Does anyone else see a problem with this statement?

Quote, "There is a power regulator in it to support three batteries, two for the receiver and servos, and one for ignition (receiver batteries are lithium)".

Running receiver AND ignition off ONE regulator . . . . . MAJOR NO-NO when running gas ignition!
Old 01-23-2010, 08:42 AM
hanko

Everone here basically has given you their peosonal opinion on set ups and radios. If there is one I agree with is the Norway dude. Keep it simple, most crashes are related to items other than radios. I cant think one one bad system out there. Get the best you can afford, go with a redundant two reciever, switch, battery, check out the A123 batteries and chargers, and try to read and ask as many questions as possible. There is really not one best way to do things.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:50 AM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

when you are in the giant area, cheapest is not a word that should be used cause there is a lot of people flying, watching around when you are flying, so SAFE is the first thing to be sure.  On radio and electronic for me there is no cheap things. As one person here in the forum always says, if you want to stay cheap you are in the wrong hobby lol.

BTW i use a 10CG radio and i love it.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:28 AM
nachman4859
My Feedback: (3)

By Far the easiest to Program System is the Aurora 9 -a very neat Touchscreen system The setup is so simple I didnt need the manual -I have owned a futaba 9cap Also very good but older 72mhz system . By far the aurora is Common sense programming .. The only problem is since they are the (new model) kid on the block ...they are harder to find ... Nachman Good luck!!