Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Skywriter smoke pump question

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Skywriter smoke pump question

Old 01-01-2010, 02:05 PM
busted blade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skywriter smoke pump question

I'm putting together a 100cc airframe and considering doing a smoke setup on it.

My question is can the Sullivan Skywriter handle straight 2s lipo voltages through the receiver plug side???

I know the battery side of it can handle it but not sure about plug that goes to the receiver to control the pump flow?

My setup is:

Ar9100 reeiver
6x 7955 servos
1x 7950 (for rudder)
2x 2100mah lipos for receiver power
NO regulator/s between main batteries and receiver(I do have a Spektrum dual port regulator for the throttle servo and ignition kill)

Old 01-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Skywriter smoke pump question

I'll bet the pump circutry is set up for 5 to 7 volts. Give it a try. If it fries, Sullivan is good about fixing them.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:05 AM
busted blade

, thats what I am about to do. If it fries that will make my mind up on a smoke system.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:16 AM
T Erickson

Yes. I use an old 350mah 2cell foamie lipo for the pump and 2 unregulated 2100 2cells for the rx. THE 2100 PACKS ARE NOT ENOUGH! I have 8 7955s in a 110" Yak. Initially I was using 400-500 mah per 12 minute flight, now after 100+ flights I'm using 700-800mah. Some of this I attribute to being more familiar with the plane, and some to the 7955 using more over time. whatever the reason, remembering to change packs after 4 flights is a PITA. Thor.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Bill Martins

Busted, this is copied from the Sullivan web site: http://www.sullivanproducts.com/FuellPumpsContent.htm

Electronically controlled Smoke Pump for onboard smoke systems. Using the same ultrasonically sealed Direct Drive pump head as our other electric pumps, this light weight onboard model has a miniature microprocessor controlled electronic pulse drive speed control. You can set smoke rate with your transmitter trim, and mix the smoke with the throttle channel if desired. Works with 6V to 12V battery packs. Note: For best results battery of 9.6V or less are recommended unless higher fluid volume is required. The pump weighs only 109 g (3.9 oz) and is 3.8" x 1.4" x 1.4" (96 mm x 36 mm x 35 mm). Includes filter, smoke tubing and antisiphon valve. No. S753.

I'm using a 2 cell 2200 mAh lipo on mine.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Old 01-02-2010, 02:37 PM
busted blade

Thanks for that BUT, I am looking for the maximun voltage that the RECEIVER end can handle. I know what voltage is acceptable on the battery input side.

The pump has two seperate wire sets:

2 wire (red/black) Main input battery power 4.8 to 12volts
3 wire (brown/orange/black) receiver plug to control pump flow from transmitter......MAXIMUM VOLTAGE UNKNOWN?????

What I would like to know is the 3 wire (receiver side) voltage capabilities as I am running Direct 2s lipos to power my receiver and servos with no regulators.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:14 PM
hanko

Dont you love all the answers to questions you didnt ask? I think the only honest non bull **** answer you will get is direct from sulivan
Old 01-02-2010, 06:15 PM
hanko

by the way, how are you getting good results form two cell lipos unregulated
Old 01-02-2010, 06:19 PM
hanko

Ive been afraid to ask that question for fear that all I would get was Aeroworks is the best, I run 7955's on my senior falcon, You need a power box on a foamie,