Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Wild Hare, EF Yak 88, Pilot All 50cc

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Wild Hare, EF Yak 88, Pilot All 50cc

Old 01-10-2010, 07:37 PM
smorlock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wild Hare, EF Yak 88, Pilot All 50cc

I need help I am trying to decide if I should buy an EF yak 88, Pilot yak, or Wild Hare Giles 202. Can anyone out there give me some advice? This is my first gas plane, I am not an expert with my skills. I want a plane that is easy to fly that will do IMAC and 3D. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Hover259
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Wild Hare, EF Yak 88, Pilot All 50cc

My votes for the Pilot Yak.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:47 PM
smorlock

That seems to be the #1 vote. Although there are some diehard EF fans out there. The thing with EF is they are less than an hour away from where I live. I thought that might be better with support, parts, ect. However I don't want my decision to be based on parts. I want a plane that fies well. Thanks for your advice.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Hover259
My Feedback: (2)

we are a flight-model dealer and they make great 50cc size yak55 but we can't get any right now. I wish you luck!
Old 01-10-2010, 10:15 PM
cjcyclesrc
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: smorlock

That seems to be the #1 vote. Although there are some diehard EF fans out there. The thing with EF is they are less than an hour away from where I live. I thought that might be better with support, parts, ect. However I don't want my decision to be based on parts. I want a plane that fies well. Thanks for your advice.
You don't have to worry about the way the EF flies. IMO it's the best, but I'm an EF Fan. The EF is an excellent flying plane and constructed very well.

I grew up in Clarkesville. I was just there for the last two weeks visiting my family. We rode motorcycles up through Blairsville, Suches, Owltown while I was there.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:36 PM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

the 3 of them are really great airplanes...i think you will need to pick one with a coin lol....mmmm coins just have 2 faces so i dont know how will you handle that lol. I never owned a EF but i have seen a lot of amazing reviews, the same for Wildhare and Pilot RC.

Good luck.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Grotesquebass
My Feedback: (16)

Just got a 110" yak from EF. It would be hard going with a different company after seeing the quality
Old 01-11-2010, 12:13 AM
cjcyclesrc

ORIGINAL: Grotesquebass

Just got a 110'' yak from EF. It would be hard going with a different company after seeing the quality

It's easy to become a fan once you've owned one.

Look at the construction in the new EF Edge
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56484.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	1353916  
Old 01-11-2010, 09:00 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It wasn't clear from your post, are you talking about 50cc or 100cc size?

TF
Old 01-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think that would matter. Not one other plane will fly with the precision the Giles will. As for 3d? That is up to the skill of the operator with any of them. I've found the Giles to be a great 3d performer but you have to learn the plane a little because they like rudder a little more than any other plane. No big deal. If you've never flown a well designed 202 (that excludes the Midwest kits) you have never flown a rock solid plane unless you flew a pattern plane.

Some will say EF this and EF that, but none will hold a candle to a 202. The Pilot is a very high quality kit, but it's still a Yak that has a limited speed envelope.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:17 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

I agree. If you want IMAC the Yak is a little draggy with the huge round flat front cowling. Go for an Extra, Edge, Giles or any more stream lined plane. I have a 50cc Yak and 50cc Extra. The Extra flies much faster, especially uplines. For 3D the Yak is great...IMAC a little slow IMO.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

I would def. pick the EF Extra over the EF Yak for IMAC.. it is a lot more locked in than the Yak and tracks a little better. The EF Extra is the best flying 50cc plane I have flown to date. It snaps very clean and tracks well. It also 3Ds very well although the Yak beats the Extra in 3D. Both perform well in all area but it depends which is your primary mode, if IMAC pick the Extra.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:01 PM
smorlock

RCTOM,
I am talking 50cc. I guess I should worry more about how they land and fly in wind.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:19 PM
cjcyclesrc

ORIGINAL: Jake Ruddy

I would def. pick the EF Extra over the EF Yak for IMAC.. it is a lot more locked in than the Yak and tracks a little better. The EF Extra is the best flying 50cc plane I have flown to date. It snaps very clean and tracks well. It also 3Ds very well although the Yak beats the Extra in 3D. Both perform well in all area but it depends which is your primary mode, if IMAC pick the Extra.

I agree for someone pursuing IMAC competition the Extra would be the best choice. If you just want something that will track straight and attend an event or two either plane would be fine. Both 3D great.

Jake,
You should fly one of the new edges if you get the chance.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

I would love to get my hands on an Edge for a few flights.. I am hearing good things. Hopefully someone around my area will get one so I can have a few flights on it
Old 01-11-2010, 10:17 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

I don't think that would matter. Not one other plane will fly with the precision the Giles will. As for 3d? That is up to the skill of the operator with any of them. I've found the Giles to be a great 3d performer but you have to learn the plane a little because they like rudder a little more than any other plane. No big deal. If you've never flown a well designed 202 (that excludes the Midwest kits) you have never flown a rock solid plane unless you flew a pattern plane.

Some will say EF this and EF that, but none will hold a candle to a 202. The Pilot is a very high quality kit, but it's still a Yak that has a limited speed envelope.
Again I respectfully ask, how many and what EF planes have you flown? Just to satisfy my own curiosity.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:19 PM
camss69

I need help I am trying to decide if I should buy an EF yak 88, Pilot yak, or Wild Hare Giles 202. Can anyone out there give me some advice? This is my first gas plane, I am not an expert with my skills. I want a plane that is easy to fly that will do IMAC and 3D. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
Here is my advise, if your "not an expert" with your skills, then pick the one you like best.

Chances are no matter which you pick you are going to love it and it will be the best flying plane you've ever had.

If EF is less than an hour away, drive down there and talk to the guys and look at the planes. I bet you come home with one and a giant smile on your face.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:23 AM
rctom

RCTOM,
I am talking 50cc. I guess I should worry more about how they land and fly in wind.
No, I doubt that will be an issue unless you are flying in some serious wind. I find that the 50cc planes that I fly (of course obviously I fly Wild Hare planes but this probably applies to the others) are no problem landing up to about 20 mph or maybe even a little more. As long as the wind is steady it's not an issue, the problems arise when it goes from 20 mph to zero when the plane is 3 feet in the air. That's when it's important to have lots of wing and big surfaces to maintain control at near zero air speed.

These attributes also apply to 3d flying, you want to be able to control the plane with very little air flowing over the surfaces and the calls for "big ones".

Take a look at our 50cc Giles. Big wing area, light weight, huge elevators, steady as a rock until you ask it to move, then it goes where you ask it to go.

TF

Name:	Pn37073.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	1354513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11537.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	1354514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50046.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	1354515  
Old 01-12-2010, 06:13 AM
PlanePizza

their all top quality company's

I guess my Q: would be whats the largest glow you have flown to date you might want to consider toms 30cc combo he has and work your way up!

jumping into a 50cc from glow can be intimidating,.. lol[sm=eek.gif] ask me how i know, and theirs allot to learn.

i still have my original extra tom, but the bunny lost all its hair

TALK ABOUT JUMPING FROM A PIPER CUB TO A BOEING 747

Name:	ol31686.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	1354567  
Old 01-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Ih82crash

I must admit that I have not flown an EF Yak, But I have flown an 33% TTTOC Yak, two Aeroworks Yaks, Edges, Sukhoi's and a (35% size) wild hare Giles. I have to say that the Wild Hare Giles is the best plane I have ever flown hands down. I don't fly IMAC, just strictly 3D. Once I got the plane dialed in, I LOVE it. If the 50cc plane flies as good, you would NEVER be sorry. Look close at the wing loading. When I bought the (35% class), I bought it strictly for the wing loading. In 3D it is everything. the Giles lands so slow, you could almost back up and try it again.

Here is a video I took last saturday in the snow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5h2PxoQYZk
Old 01-12-2010, 11:14 AM
rctom

ORIGINAL: Ih82crash

I must admit that I have not flown an EF Yak, But I have flown an 33% TTTOC Yak, two Aeroworks Yaks, Edges, Sukhoi's and a (35% size) wild hare Giles. I have to say that the Wild Hare Giles is the best plane I have ever flown hands down. I don't fly IMAC, just strictly 3D. Once I got the plane dialed in, I LOVE it. If the 50cc plane flies as good, you would NEVER be sorry. Look close at the wing loading. When I bought the (35% class), I bought it strictly for the wing loading. In 3D it is everything. the Giles lands so slow, you could almost back up and try it again.

That's the way I feel also, I really love the Giles. The new 50cc Giles is EXACTLY the same plane as the one shown in the video, just scaled down to 88" wing span.

TF
Old 01-12-2010, 12:37 PM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

Your choice should depend somewhat on your future plans for the hobby, if you are competing in IMAC, then Extra or Giles. I've flown EF 88" Yak, TTOC 86" AND 97" Yaks, and have seen( live )several good 3-D routines on the WH Hare Extra 30%. I've had a gas Giles 74"(Ultra RC) but tough for me to fully evaluate that one with all the engine issues. The EF 88" Yak would be best over all, it really does look & fly like a 33%, the extra weight makes it handle wind a little better too, floats in like a trainer on landings.! The Pilot/TTOC Yaks are very good too, super strong and 3-D's a blast. All I know about the WH Extra 30% is from watching a friend fly one, it looks like a lot of fun too, very 3-D capable, very light too, not the best windy day Huckin DOD plane, just because of weight. Man, I wish I had these choices 10 years ago!!!
Old 01-14-2010, 12:10 AM
camss69

ORIGINAL: camss69

Again I respectfully ask, how many and what EF planes have you flown? Just to satisfy my own curiosity.

Again, nothing but silence. So should I take that to mean that you've NEVER flown an EF plane?

I find it pretty interesting that you bash EF as being overpriced and overrated when you have in fact never flown one.

EF this and EF that... lol...
Old 01-14-2010, 09:08 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

ORIGINAL: Ih82crash

Wow those are tiny skiis. Do they work in deep powder?
Old 01-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Again, nothing but silence. So should I take that to mean that you've NEVER flown an EF plane?

I find it pretty interesting that you bash EF as being overpriced and overrated when you have in fact never flown one.

EF this and EF that... lol...

The reason I haven't replied is because I spend very little time on RCU in forums other than the gas engine forum. Without going into the details I've found other sites to be "friendlier" to open discussion and having less manufacturer loyalty among the moderators. This forum in poarticular was taken over by EF zealots almost a couple of years ago and any attempt to provide credibility to any other manufacturer is met with a lot of resistance, and has been known to see posts "moderated" for content contrary to EF.

As for how many EF planes I've flown? The number where I KNEW what they were is 2. Both 50cc yaks, and I really didn't care much for either one of them. One was a little nose heavy and was snappy at low speeds. One was well balanced and has a 3w-56 on the nose. meaning it has a whole lot of power for the weight. The ONLY thing that one did as good or better than a Wild Hare 50cc plane was slow flight. Neither could maneuver in ways a Wild Hare Extra or Edge can, and that was also stated by the EF owners, both of which are accomplished fliers with plenty of talent.

As for comparing an Edge, Extra, or yak with a Giles...you cannot. Not even in the same league where precision flight is concerned. The closest would be a Yak 55M or SP55, but it would need to be larger than a 50cc plane to achieve the same attributes.

So Camss69, may I ask how many 202's or MX's you've flown, of all types, and in what sizes?

I have a 35 and 41% myself, and if I want to fly tight lines with axial rolls without having to dial in aileron differential ythey are my choice of the day. Flew the little Midwest version some years back as well but it was a toad compared to most any plane on the market, then and now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.