Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Wild Hare Edge wings get stuck on tube

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Wild Hare Edge wings get stuck on tube

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:02 PM
jetfixr
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wild Hare Edge wings get stuck on tube

I have a Wild Hare Edge 540 V1, and the wing tube gets stuck in the wing pretty easily. It slides through the fuselage fine, but it is difficult to get the wings on it and even more difficult to get the wings off of it. I am afraid I will break my wings eventually. I have tried vasoline, and some other methods to get it to come off easier, but so far nothing has worked. Has anyone else had this trouble, and if so what did you do to fix it?

Jeff
Old 04-08-2010, 07:08 PM
stangman67
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Wild Hare Edge wings get stuck on tube

Talcum powder is a common solution to the problem. Or You could use some sandpaper around a dowel to sand out the tube inside each wing. They should be tight, although not tight enough to make you think they will break. Did you just recently build this? They should loosen out over time if you just build it.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:39 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to point out that the V1 Edge went out of production about 5 years ago. That builder's inability to deliver a consistent wing tube fit was one of the major reasons that we found another builder.

Sanding the inside of the wing sockets is the best solution, it won't take much to loosen it up.

TF
Old 04-08-2010, 10:15 PM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue with the Su-26 but it was both wings. I took some 80 grit and glued it to a large wood dowl and then sanded the hell out of the wings. It took alot more than I thought to make it work and in the end it was still real tight.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:26 AM
jetfixr
My Feedback: (13)

It does happen to both wings. I will try the sand paper and talcum powder trick. I know they are supposed to be tight, but I am pretty sure I could fly this thing without even putting the wing bolts in and they wouldn't come off. The only thing the vasoline and other fixes I tried accomplished was getting your hands dirty when assembling it. Thanks for the suggestions, and I will try them tonight.

Jeff
Old 04-09-2010, 06:53 PM
aegis

Another easy way to open up the wing socket is to use sandpaper, foam, a dowel, and a drill. With the sandpaper on top of the foam, tape the sandpaper to the dowel. Cut the sandpaper and foam long enough to get at least 1 1/2 wraps or so. For dowel size, get one with enough diameter to not break but still fit in the drill chuck.

Compress the foam/sandpaper and insert into the wing socket. Don't use too heavy of grit because, using a drill, it will take off material pretty quick. The things I like about this approach are that you don't have to worry about sanding the socket into an oblong shape, and using a drill makes quick work of it. Just make sure you check the fit regularly.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15758.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	1415060  
Old 04-10-2010, 09:36 AM
swk550
My Feedback: (76)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a 35% SD/TOC Extra 260. I had to replace the wing tube. The replacement tube was too tight. I bought a cheap brake cylinder hone (O'Reilly or Harbor Freight). I carefully ran it up and down the wing tube socket until I had no interference spots. You will need to blow out the fiberglass dust regularly when honing. The hone shoes did build up a fiberglass glaze. This was simple to remove. I checked the hone after each hone try. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Jonathan Ott
My Feedback: (25)

I used Mothers Mag Polish on my V1 Edge wing tube and buffed it to a high shine. Slides in real nice.