Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme 88" Extra Stab Problems

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme 88" Extra Stab Problems

Old 04-12-2010, 01:31 PM
madfreestyler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extreme 88" Extra Stab Problems

Hey All,

I recently purchased a part built EF Extra. Im just getting around to the final fittings and have run into a slight issue. When i put the stabs on the forward retaining tabs and the metal peg dont line up with the pre fitted / drilled holes on the fuse. Ive attached a few pics have i missed something here?

Any advice much appreciated, cant wait to fly it but at the moment im a little baffled.

Thks in advance
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85887.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	1416853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31895.jpg
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	1416854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56563.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	1416855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy72408.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	1416856  
Old 04-12-2010, 01:55 PM
T Erickson

Default RE: Extreme 88

There were two (or more) different stab/fuse designs as time went by. I found this out when ordering replacement parts. I just drilled new holes and used a wood screw with no ill effect. Make sure to check your incidence, it may well be off because of this. Thor.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:54 PM
madfreestyler

Thanks for the reply,

Looks like the distance between the holes is 80mm on the fuselage, do you know if that makes it the older or newer one?

Dont suppose you know if the stab with 80mm gap can still be sourced?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-12-2010, 03:04 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Borrow an incidence meter. Re-drill the new holes. Push in the blind nuts. You're done.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:47 PM
madfreestyler

Got a incidence meter just dont trust my mod skills :-(
Old 04-12-2010, 03:52 PM
JoeAirPort

I hear ya. We've all been there...and will be there again I'm sure. It just depends on the project. If you mark the holes using the incidence meter you will be fine. Get the stab at 0 then mark the anti-rotation dowel with a sharp pencil or black Sharpy. Drill the hole. You can tweak the incidence with a round file if your hole is off a little. Just fill in the voids with quick curing epoxy. Once you get the anti rotation dowel perfectly set, just mark and drill the blind nut holes. Pop them in...check the alignment. If they are good put a little ca to hold them in. Even if they aren't perfect you can file the tab holes a little. The trick is to get the anti rotation dowel hole perfect. Then the two 3mm screws just hold it at that perfect incdence. It's easy.

I have actually tweaked my stab incidence on my Yak using the above method so I have sort of done this. It's a piece of cake. You can use the epoxy and a round file as much as you want to re-tweak the hole location. You get lots of tries. The dowel should fit snug in the hole at 0 incidence.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:03 PM
madfreestyler

Fancy popping over to do it?

On a serious note at least it looks like the dowel is in line with the old position so i should be able to just move the hole forward, ill double check it with the meter but should make things a little easier.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:03 PM
JoeAirPort

Yeah man I'll be right over !! I'd help you if I lived near by, trust me. That's a fine airplane you got there. I love mine. Can't wait to fly it all summer.

Trust me you can do this. You get to fix those anti-rotation holes as much as you want with a round file and epoxy. It's not a one shot chance to get it right. When you're all done you'll be amazed how easy it is. I think the hardest part is reaching in to push in the blind nuts. You could just buy some new 3mm ones and leave the old ones in there. Less work, a few more grams tail weight. [8D]
Old 04-12-2010, 10:14 PM
T Erickson

ORIGINAL: madfreestyler

Thanks for the reply,

Looks like the distance between the holes is 80mm on the fuselage, do you know if that makes it the older or newer one?

Dont suppose you know if the stab with 80mm gap can still be sourced?

Thanks in advance
I dont know the exact chronology of the changes, but all the ExtremeFlight planes I've had are numbered from the factory with matching numbers... my guess is you will have parts of different planes if they dont line up. Three or four digit numbers stamped in blue ink usually. Thor.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:34 AM
JoeAirPort

I think a new stab kit from them costs $70 US plus shipping. That could be expensive to UK. Plus they still may not fit. You could call or e-mail Extreme Flight.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:41 PM
madfreestyler

Hey Joe,

Can the canopy base be used as the datum? I was looking at the stab and as the tube and the rear retainer still fit and the incidence is right then i can use them to keep the stab aligned. I guess if i set the canopy base to 0 and the tail is 0 that answers my question. As default should the stab and wing = 0?
Old 04-13-2010, 01:14 PM
madfreestyler

Well i just checked the following

Stab tube hole and locator peg seem to be centre of the stab cord. On my bench = -2 also checked canopy base -2 centreline of wingtube and locator -2 and top of the engine box -2 so i guess if i just move the locator peg and front pin fwd on the same datum job is done :-)
Old 04-13-2010, 04:02 PM
Eganwp
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Joe,

Good idea on the epoxy filling method for adjusting incidences on the anti-rotation pins. I was wondering how the heck I could fill the holes slightly and file to get them exact and never really thought of the epoxy filling trick. Thanks for the tip.

BTW OP, I wouldn't worry about the screws being off. Quite a few ARF's I've seen/read about have this issue. Because they don't set your incidence (assuming your anti-rotation pins are really tight and incidence is solid), just redrill em as needed. Doing what Joe suggests is the best method if you want a really solid hole, but they're really just there to hold the stab on; not for AOA.

Looks like a nice plane dude!
Old 04-13-2010, 04:49 PM
JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: madfreestyler

Well i just checked the following

Stab tube hole and locator peg seem to be centre of the stab cord. On my bench = -2 also checked canopy base -2 centreline of wingtube and locator -2 and top of the engine box -2 so i guess if i just move the locator peg and front pin fwd on the same datum job is done :-)
Yeah you can use the canopy deck as the 0 datum. That's what I did. And yes the stab and wing should both be 0 with the canopy deck being also 0. Or if they are all -2 that works also. They just gotta be the same...the 2 wing halves and 2 stabs.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:51 PM
JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: Eganwp

Hey Joe,

Good idea on the epoxy filling method for adjusting incidences on the anti-rotation pins. I was wondering how the heck I could fill the holes slightly and file to get them exact and never really thought of the epoxy filling trick. Thanks for the tip.

BTW OP, I wouldn't worry about the screws being off. Quite a few ARF's I've seen/read about have this issue. Because they don't set your incidence (assuming your anti-rotation pins are really tight and incidence is solid), just redrill em as needed. Doing what Joe suggests is the best method if you want a really solid hole, but they're really just there to hold the stab on; not for AOA.

Looks like a nice plane dude!
Thanks. It's a method that can be done and redone until you got it dead perfect. Adding and filing epoxy does not weaken it, if anything it strengthens it. I got my Yak so perfect it actually needed no trims on maiden. That was weird. It was one straight Yak. I only needed to take out +1/2 on one side stab and -1/2 on the other. Wings were dead nuts perfect.

And you're right. Only the anti-rot dowel determines the incidence. The (2)x3mm screws just hold it from sliding off the stab tube. I just made sure those tabs were open enough so the 2 screws didn't change the incidence when you tighten them down. If the tab slots are open enough they won't.

Hey madfreestyler are you done yet? Just giving you crap dude. Get 'er done !!!
Old 05-01-2010, 09:41 AM
madfreestyler

Hey Guys,

Just started to do the mod. Was holding out on a reply hoping that either EF on one of their dealers would be able to help but have drawn a blank, bit dissapointing really...................... anyway any tips on removing the blind nut? Ive managed to do the first anti rotation hole and got the incidence bang on, only problem is that it looks like the blind nut for the retainer has been glued in. I tried to remove it but the doubler as start to split so im a bit stuck. Any suggestions?
Old 05-01-2010, 02:24 PM
propchief
My Feedback: (65)

Why do yo need to remove the blind nuts? Once the alignment dowel/hole is set for the proper incidence the holes in the stab should be opened up if needed to get the retaining bolts installed. As JoeAP noted above those bolts are used to secure the stab halves. Hope this helps.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:37 PM
madfreestyler

There are 2 stab retainers. The foremost is directly below the new anti rotation pin position so holes are required for both. Ive done the ar pin hole but i want the 2 retainers as per original config. Without removing the original position blind nut you cant fit a new one for the new position hence need to remove so i can get the new one in. (this isnt an incidence problem this is that the stab i have doesnt fit the fuse see original post).
Old 05-01-2010, 07:36 PM
JoeAirPort

The easiest way to remove those blind nuts is to heat them up and push them out. The glue releases with heat. Do you have a soldering iron with a fine tip? Just put the tip inside the blind nut threads and push lightly. The nut should just push out as it heats up. I've done this many times and it's so easy it's fun.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:10 PM
propchief
My Feedback: (65)

Sorry about that. The heat will work great. If they are flared on the ends you may have to get a sightly longer bolt and wiggle to loosen them up as well. I just had to do this.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:53 AM
madfreestyler

Like the tip guys, gonna give it a go today. A mate also suggested making a new false root but i think the heat trick is a much easier option. Will report my findings shortly. Weather not so good here typical british weather so its most definitely hangar time :-)
Old 05-02-2010, 06:54 AM
madfreestyler

No kidding took 60 seconds for both job done nuts are removed. Glad im going through this process as the original left hand side is 1.5 degrees out from the right.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:07 AM
JoeAirPort

Cool. [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=regular_smile.gif]
Old 05-09-2010, 12:10 PM
madfreestyler

And now for the next problem :-(. Theres a 5mm gap at the root near the trailing edge. The front of the wing is flush but im not sure if it can be flown like this. Have attached a pic, any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ca81980.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	1433409   Click image for larger version

Name:	ok28779.jpg
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	1433410  
Old 05-09-2010, 03:52 PM
JoeAirPort

Mine have a little of that but not as much as you. As long as the anti-rotation dowels are in the holes fully it will be fine.