Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

VOTEC 2KRC.com LINDINGER.com PASONTEC.com wing FAILURE/update:OWNER BLACK MALIED INTO SILENCE

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!
View Poll Results: A poll
NO!web wood grains should be sideways like in the photos
3.85%
YES!web wood grains should be VERTICAL/PERPENDICULAR to prevent fail
96.15%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

VOTEC 2KRC.com LINDINGER.com PASONTEC.com wing FAILURE/update:OWNER BLACK MALIED INTO SILENCE

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 11:24 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default VOTEC 2KRC.com LINDINGER.com PASONTEC.com wing FAILURE/update:OWNER BLACK MALIED INTO SILENCE

Hello gents...long story short:

we had a wing failure and lost one wing in flight on a new 5times flown

VOTEC 50CC from www.2krc.com and www.lindinger.at

too bad no one took any video ..funny to watch but not to the owner see his 3000$ going down on the deck big time surviving only 4 servos

the failure took place while a big loop when the wing broke away from the wing tube

so since thank God no one got hurt we checked the wings and here we go:

in photo 1: we see the balsa wood that connects the tube with the wing skin . wood grains are sideways

in photo 2 : we see the thickness of the balsa estimate 2mm

in photo 3: we opened up the wing that didnt fail and we see the connection webs between the ribs after the tube.
balsa 2mm again with grain sideways and all been broken in the spot on the photo (probably also from engines vibrations)

now the 3000$ question:
IS MANUFACTURES FAULT THE WING FAILURE BECAUSE OF THE WRONG GRAIN DIRECTION??

the manufacturer came back with an email saying there is nothing wrong with there design

my experience say: that web wood grains should be VERTICAL cause they provide way better structural strength

here is a kit manual...not even 50cc ! please notice photo DD19

http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpma0175-manual.pdf

Thank you all for your time voting and for also leaving a comment in this threat

We work hard for our money and manufactures of giant planes should not do this mistakes risking our money

Best regards
George

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93538.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1457374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59535.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1457375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91658.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1457376  
Old 06-23-2010, 11:33 AM
CrashingXpert
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: VOTEC 2KRC.com LINDINGER.com PASONTEC.com wing FAILURE/update:OWNER BLACK MALIED INTO SILENCE

web wood grains should be VERTICAL

This is just UNACCEPTABLE

Old 06-23-2010, 12:12 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: VOTEC 2KRC.com LINDINGER.com PASONTEC.com wing FAILURE/update:OWNER BLACK MALIED INTO SILENCE

Yes, they must be vertical... they are close to useless if horizontal. This is quite a common mistake done in many cheap ARF planes, including the Falcon 120.

Enrique
Old 06-23-2010, 12:43 PM
dragonov3
My Feedback: (3)

They must be vertical. No strength horizontal. My vote is vertical.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:54 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Vertical is really the wrong term, the grain of the shear webing should run "Perpendicular" to the spar or wing tube
Old 06-23-2010, 12:56 PM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Vertical is really the wrong term, the grain of the shear webing should run ''Perpendicular'' to the spar or wing tube

Thank you for voting and sorry for my poor English.

''Perpendicular'' is added to the options!
Old 06-23-2010, 01:01 PM
MNModels

Scale only 4 me,

Agree with you. Webbing must be perpendicular with main spar to make a solid I-beam type structure. Some ARF's make use of CNC laser cutters to cut ply main spars. Obviously the grain would be horisontal due to the lenght. But these spars should be capped with grain running perpendicular as well...

just my 2c

Morne
Old 06-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Alex48

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep perpendicular to the spars is a must. That structure needs shear webs. Normally if I scratch build I would have 2 1/4 (or larger depending on scale) inch spruce spars running the length of the wing with two large 1/4 inch ply braces at the heart of the structure. Something like this is what is needed IMO.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32190.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1457417  
Old 06-23-2010, 01:21 PM
mred33

I can see why they did it the way they did. That looks like a sheet of balsa laser cut to make that support, but it is the wrong direction. To do it right, the manufacture would have to make much smaller parts and they cost time and money for them. I don't think webbing is the place to try and save weight by cutting them out like that either. Each section should have it's own piece of balsa and only run vertical, not span ways. The best way is to put it between the spars making an I beam out of it. At least put webs between the ribs with no holes in them and with the grain running vertical. I would have changed that in the build. I know it hurts, but the builder is partly at fault for building it that way. Unless he is new, he should have known better. If he wasn't sure, he could have ask here and found out that it is a bad design. Who ever designed that wing either didn't know or didn't care. Looks to me like they were just trying to save money. In the long run, they could have put a sheet of balsa in the kit and let you cut them out yourself. That would save money too and wouldn't come back to bit them.That is a BIG no no to build them like that. Cutting holes in them takes most of the strength out of them just doing that, but running the grain length ways is way wrong and the manufacture should know better.

Ed
Old 06-23-2010, 01:25 PM
drola
My Feedback: (170)

yes, "perpendicular" is the way to go if you want a wing that lasts and can take the type of g forces a 50cc plane generates. if you want cheap, easy, and to pay some chinese factory to build your arfs then there must be some sort of quality control inspection.
to me this is unacceptable!
Old 06-23-2010, 01:37 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ridiculous. They ought to be sued for knowingly making unsafe planes. If they did this unknowingly, they should quit making planes because they obviously don't have the knowledge to build a safe plane. Call your lawyer.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Revy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nuff said.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:47 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: RevyMaxx

Nuff said.
Except what make and model it is????

I'd sure hate to find out the hard way like George did
Old 06-23-2010, 03:49 PM
DIABLOTAC78

it should be vertical . no other word can be said.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:22 PM
Red B.

In full scale wooden construction it is common practice to use plywood for shear webs. It has been shown by experiments that diagonal plywood [face grain at 45° angle to the edge of the panel] is approximately five times stiffer in shear than square laid plywood and somewhat stronger.

If "single grain orientation" wood such as sheet balsa is used, the grain should be running perpendicular to the beam direction.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:09 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

sounds like it may be a good idea to use that 1/32 ply or something like that for future projects
Old 06-23-2010, 06:43 PM
buchtes
My Feedback: (7)

grain direction is of upmost importance, In models as in full scale aircraft.
This is a major Blunder and I'd request a free replacement or see you in Court.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:24 PM
N241MZ

Well that looks like shoddy chinese crappy building.  I hope you can get your money back on this one but I doubt it. this is the reason I will not buy a ARF if I can help it, you just do not know if it is built right. I love building the topflight kits, from a box of wood at least I know if it fails, it is my fault
Old 06-23-2010, 08:07 PM
bruff
My Feedback: (18)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Vertical/Perpendicular

Bob
Old 06-23-2010, 10:02 PM
daleflysrc
My Feedback: (26)

The grain must b vertical or perpendicular to the spar !! It also must be a tight fit between the ribs !! Most homebuilts use an I beam type instead of a full box to save weight. The sheer web is only their to stop the bending moments of the spar. The bottom spar is in tention and the top spar is in compression, while positive G loads are in effect. just the oppisite in negative gs
the tip only transfers the loads from the top spar to the bottom spar, and vise versa !!

Old 06-23-2010, 10:23 PM
skip1320

45 degrees!!
Old 06-23-2010, 10:53 PM
victorzamora

Skip, 45 degrees is ONLY to be used with ply/laminates.  Otherwise, it's PERPENDICULAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Horizontal is the absolute weakest way for that thing to be placed.  In fact, it's MEANT to fail when placed parallel with the spar.

Some people just shouldn't be trusted with wood and glue.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:39 PM
highfly3D

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These are mass produced Chinese airplanes there are many companies who make such type of airplanes... i had repaired a wing of a 3D model few years back & i saw the wing spar was so soft........ that you can break it very easily...... there are many other problems... if you notice with these airplanes this is just a lack of R&D department who test & inspect these manufactured airplanes..

I design & build my own airplanes.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:01 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I voted for vertical in fact when you build up a kit the instructions will also sayshear web should be installed vertically but as already been said many arfs dont install the
shear webs properely.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:01 AM
davidhand

If a beam is loaded such that it is hogging (supported at each end with a downward load in the center) then the upper flange will resist compression and the lower flange will resist tension. The web which is what we are discussing here will resist shear loads. It can be shown that there are both horizontal and vertical shear loads, to resist horizontal shear you would need the grain to be running vertically and to resist vertical shear you would need the grain to run horizontally. Most engineers rarely design in wood so it is never an issue for them but based on the preceeding I would say that ply would be the best solution.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.