RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/1029475-composite-arf-33%25-gee-bee-r2-first-flight-pics-videos-l%40%40k.html)

jongurley 06-10-2005 01:18 PM

RE: Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K

Hey WayneParrish this is Jonathan Gurley,, I have got to get by Piedmont and see that GeeBee fly,,You know my uncle well, James Cox, he said he spoke to you at Johnny's hobby shop in Fuquay the other night, I would love to take my Wildhare Extra down there to Fayetteville and fly with you guys one Sunday, and see the GEEBEE,, what kind of motor are you running on the GEEBEE, James told me you had a big one,

wayneparrish 06-12-2005 09:03 PM

Jonathan, We would love to have you come to the Piedmont field. I have retired the 33% Hostetler GB . It just weighed so much ,52lbs., that it ate the whole 700 ft runway up and needed more at times. I am currently working on a 30% Composite /ARF GB R-2 and hope to have it flying in a month or so. It will have the same STRONG 3-w 120 on it tat was on the 33% and will weigh about 20 lbs less !!!! That big 33 % 52 lb. bohemoth flew like a rocket so the new one should be as good and better. Keep in touch and I'll try to e-mail you and let you know when we're ready. E-mail me at [email protected] . Take care of James and bring him with you. Wayne

Hope_For_The_Best 06-13-2005 11:23 AM

Fellow Fliers,

Thanks for your interest in my questions [thread above]. I regret the unfortunate delay in my response, as I have "been out of town on business" for the last several months and my email provider wouldn't permit logging onto this site.

To answer questions concerning progress with my CA GB R-2, it goes like this: Progress was stalled in mid-January upon my departure. Until that time I successfully sourced most bits of hardware, including the recommended landing gear legs & wheels, servos, graphics, fuel tank, engine, etc. Among the things done was to trim, or "chamfer" the Sullivan 7" wheel/tire combo (as recommended by the Assy Manual addendum) to permit greater clearance between tires & gear legs. The chore was delayed by the need to acquire a rotary table for my drill press, and I finished one tire before I left town; the second waits until my return. Second, I replaced the steel axles with titanium rod, and added caged ball bearings to the wheels. The perceived need for both mods (axle & bearings) was to lighted the gear and add greater wobble-control to the Sullivan wheel nylon hubs. No other preparation or assembly work has been completed beyond that stated.

One added change in the configuration was replacement of the on-hand DA-150 with a Robart 780. This change was made for reason that the recommended Seidel ST525 was not then available--the DA would work fine, but I believe had too much power for the need [please, no "flames" for this perspective]--and the Robart has much the same weight/power as the Seidel. Besides, there was this opportunity I just couldn't refuse. . .

Work will resume upon my return to town in early August. Until then, thanks for your consideration & get out there and fly. Take advantage of your great opportunity and enjoy it!

VR
Jack

wayneparrish 06-14-2005 09:07 PM

Jack, I would reccomend you throw the wheels in the garbage or use them for a Cub,maybe . Get a set of the C.B.Associates wheels from Sig and you will have the proper wheel for this bird,in my opinion. I have been using the CB wheels for as long as I can remember them being made and have literally worn them out with NO problems from them. NOTE: Before somebody jumps me with the news that CB is out of business,yes they did stop but are now back producing products,ACCORDING to SIG MFG . Now back to the reason the CB wheel is best. I have been flying GB a/c for many years and the one problem that was finally discovered was the tires being TOO soft and they will lay over against the ldg.gear yokes and trip itself,resulting in a damaged fin area. I have been flying a 52 lb Hostetler 33% and it has about 35 flights on it with NO gear or wheel problems !! Try that with a Sullivan wheel and you will find out very quickly it won't be a good situation when landing. The bushings wear out very quickly on the Sullivan also. I am currently building a Composite /ARF 30% and am using 6 1/2 " dia. CB Associates wheels ,same as on the 33% version,and the same as on my 33% Hostetler Z model. Simply the best wheel for the money out there. Also,why are you worrying about keeping the weight down forward of the c.g when you will probably need to add weight to the nose anyway. If you would like you can e-mail me direct at [email protected] and I would be glad to discuss further. Don't get me wrong,Im just trying to save you some worry and heartache ,not tell you what to do. Wayne

Hope_For_The_Best 06-15-2005 11:52 AM

Wayne,

Thanks for the feedback on wheel/tire situation--I will check out your recommended solution. Reutilization of my Sullivan wheels on a Cub is a non-start, however, as I already have the needed 4" wheels for my 1/4 scale Cub.

To explain the mod CA recommended, and what I achieved, it seems clear that very little "wobble room" was available once the wheel/tire combination was mounted in the optional gear. Once chamfered there is ample room to wobble. My added mod of installing bearings on both side of the hubs makes the wheel more stable on the axle (the replacement titanium axles are a thousandth or two larger in diameter than the supplied steel axles, and the larger diameter may also help).

Again thanks for your insight. I appreciate it.

VR
Jack

wayneparrish 06-15-2005 09:54 PM

Jack, What gear are you using on yours,the factory gear or Sierra Precision ? If you're using the factory ger I have a suggestion you may be interested in. The C/A manual says to use the "small wire",whatever that is to keep the spring strut from falling out when there is no weight on it. I modified mine to have a slot in the strut piston with a socket head cap screw thru the aluminum strut barrel that rides into the slot I milled into the strut piston. If you're using the factory struts ,e-mail me and I'l talk more about it. I got my wings installed today and its on the gear and will install the flying wires next. Hope to have it flying in a couple of weeks or so. Wayne

Hope_For_The_Best 06-16-2005 12:56 PM

Wayne,

My landing gear solution is the optional CA gear (didn't know there were others), and was one of the last sets from Composite-Arf that supplied a tail wheel hanger. I understand the tail wheel hanger is no longer part of the kit.

I did read (out of context) that one should 'wire the top of gear to the bottom of gear' to prevent gear separation. I tested the potential for separation in my workroom, and it is a viable risk. However, I made effort yet to accomplish that wiring together (I thought a thread of 0.030" S/S safety wire would be sufficient). Machining slots and inserting bolts? Nah; I had not gone there (still don't have a milling machine in my little workroom), but it sounds interesting.

A couple of weeks to finish & fly? Way cool! I won't be off this job for six more weeks, and won't be in your neck of the woods to look at it for a while. Good luck!

VR
Jack

wayneparrish 06-16-2005 04:48 PM

Jack , I f you will send me an e-mail I will send you a pic of the slot system. If you want to send them to me i will slot them for you and get the pivot point cleaned out and working properly. The socket head cap screw that anchors the spring piston housing to the gear is not,at least not on mine, clearanced so that it will swivel ever so sligtly at the bolt. the bolt also needs to be Loctited and safety wired in place as it takes real beating. Let me know. Wayne

wayneparrish 07-28-2005 08:24 AM

UPDATE : Well the R-2 should be ready to fly next weekend ,August 6th . It has been somewhat of a hunt and peck build as the manual is very poor for this kit and would have been quicker if it had been better. I understand that the factory is possibly working on a manual for it. As far as the quality of the kit and how its shaping up,I'm very happy.I will have to say that C/Arf and my rep,Andy Kane have both been very responsive on the concerns I have had. I will weigh it and post the results probably next week. I may even have a pic or two . I will keep you updated if you are interested. In the case of questions on the build or whatever,give me an e-mail and I will be glad to help. My address is : [email protected] Have a great weekend. Wayne

Kregg 07-28-2005 09:41 AM

Thanks for the update Wayne. Yes, keep us informed as you move forward. Pix, weight, flight report..... You will help me decide on my next project!

wayneparrish 07-31-2005 08:27 PM

Kregg, I've got some pics I would be happy to share with you or anyone else . I tried to post one or two and this site doesn't like the files they are in. I'm not going to change them so e-mail me at [email protected] if you want them. Wayne

wayneparrish 08-05-2005 08:09 AM

UPDATE : The test flight may not come off this weekend ,6th 7th , as the graphics I received didn't match the red on the bird .I said I would not fly it till it was "complete" ,but if I don't this weekend it will be another couple of weeks as vacation week is coming up. Oh well,it'll fly when I get a chance. I will be posting weights probably this weekend. Wayne

wayneparrish 08-07-2005 08:35 PM

Well, The Gee Bee "didn't fly" this weekend. I guess I could definitely have burned a little more midnigt oil,BUT ,this is supposed to be a hobby that I enjoy,so why punish myself !! It is all wired ,balanced ,etc.. The only thing left to do is lace up the wiring in the fuselage to the wiring looms and apply the (finish) graphics when Kirby gets me the correct ones. Thats something I may expound on some. Dennis Kirby at Kirby graphics made the graphics,but he made a mistake and used the wrong red . He has busted his buns to get me the right ones and i will order my next set from him also. The balnce was dead on with the nose just starting to wnat to drop thru with NO EXTRA WEIGHT ADDED !! I planned where everything would go as soon as I could in the build and it sure pays off !! Well its off to vacation and I'll post when I get it flown after vacation. Thanks,Wayne

jongurley 08-08-2005 09:22 AM

HURRY<HURRY<< HURRY<, hey Wayne me and JAMES C. might ride down there to watch,,,

wayneparrish 08-08-2005 05:31 PM

OK, Come on down !! E-mail me at [email protected] and I'll try my best to let you know far enough ahead so you can come. Wayne

wayneparrish 08-15-2005 09:36 PM

Well the graphics are done and just need to wait till I get time to flt her !! BY THE WAY , does anyone know anything about the 50 % R-2 that an outfit in Tenn. sells ? They go by the name G& L HOBBIES,but NEVER return e-mails !!! I would have a hard time sending anyone money that can't even respond to inquiries to their products. Sounds fishy !! Wayne

wayneparrish 08-28-2005 08:25 PM

FINALLY, The first flight is behind us on the new R-2 !!!! The a/c flew absolutely flawlessly and without a hitch !! This has got to be the BEST flying GB I have ever flown,and I've had about 10 r2-r1's thru the years from 1'5 scale to 33% scale. The takeoff was absolutely straight forward and required some up trim and 2 notches of rt rudder to fly hands off . It rolls ,loops,and other stuff as good s you would want a racer to do it. The knife edges are absolutely unreal ! It just lays on its side and hauls butt. Weight came out at the normal 36 lbs and the cg was in the middle of the recomended and works great. I put the throws at exactly what C/F said to do and it was perfect. I also put in 30 % expo and that felt good,although I will play around with it some more. I have a 3W ols stle 120cc on it and can't understand why anyone would want more power. I have dual batteries for the receiver with EMS/JOMAR battery backer and 1 1800 ma on the ignition. All three batteries are attached to the back of the motor bowl in cushioned straps and the a/c balanced perfect with no added weight. I did move the gear forward as reccomended and that definitely helps the c/g also. That along with the C.B.wheels are a plus for the cg. This GB is just like all the rest in that it HATES CROSS WINDS !!! The one flight I made on Saturday the wind was direct down the runway on takeoff ,and as soon as the wheels cleared the ground it switched to a direct-quartering cross wind and stayed that way ! I made several approaches to landing and was hoping the wnd would switch to a headwind . I finally commited to the landing and fought it thru the landing and roll-out till it stopped ,IN ONE PIECE and no scratches !!! YEA !!! Lets load up and go home so I can change my pants !! Am I satisfied with the a/c ?? I am 125 % satisfied and am thinking of building another one pretty soon as a backup . There are some things that I changed to make it easier with field assembly and longevity and if you're interested give me a e-mail and I will get some detailed pics to you as soon as possible.Thanks and I will post on the subsequent flights. Wayne [email protected]

jongurley 08-29-2005 06:36 AM

Cool, can't wait to see the big bird fly,

Kregg 08-29-2005 07:03 AM

Wayne,
That is great! Now I'm getting excited about this as my next project. I have only one question.....

If yours flies great with a old 120 do youy think it would fly and balance with a DA100? I have one sitting here ready to pull her around the sky. I'm sure the DA is lighter and is probably close in power, but surly less. Do you have anything else that can move forward inside the fuse? I sent you a e-mail for more pix.

Your advice is appreciated.

Thx,
Kregg

wayneparrish 09-27-2005 10:16 PM

WHEW !! After all kinds of radio range problems ,THE GB FLIES AGAIN !!! If you're building or have built the Comp /Arf version,don't fly with the antenna inside the fuselage !!! The ONLY way we could get range was to put the receiver in the top of the fuse just behind the flying wire attach points and run the antenna thru a small hole drilled in the seam right above the receiver and run the wire to the top of the rudder.I use a JR pcm 10 and have never had this problem before ,BUT ,the carbon fiber in this bird really screws up the signal in the fuselage. That aside ,the aircraft flies absolutely FANTASTICALLY !!! I will be building another one for a local fellow in the next couple of weeks and incorporating some more refinements into an already GREAT ARCRAFT !! Composit /ARF has really done a great job in coming up with this bird. I am going to try and get some video taken on the next trip out ,so maybe I'll have some soon. Wayne

Hope_For_The_Best 09-28-2005 08:37 AM

Wayne,
Great post! Thanks for the report on radio range--I am much more encouraged now to finish mine. Good luck with video.
VR
Jack

wayneparrish 09-28-2005 03:19 PM

Great Jack, Get that bad boy finished and you will love the flight and looks of it ,GUARANTEED ! I should be starting on the new one any day now. It was ordered a few days ago and it won't take long to get here.On this one I am going to try and be very diligent about taking pictures of the construction and hopefully it will help out someone else. If you take your time and get it straight and solid it will be a great a/c . Wayne

kevka 11-07-2005 11:34 PM

I have to jump in here and give my 2 cents. I started my R2 on Oct 6 of 2004. This is NOT what I would call an ARF. There are soo many things they could have done to make this more of an ARF then they did. None the less, I still would have bought this one b/c mine came in at 31lbs. I also have an old style 3W120 but I had to add to the nose to balance. To this day it has not flown. I had a bad carb and needed replaced. It is nice to know about the antana on the outside. I am using all HS-5625's and a Futaba PCM. Yes I did move the landing gear. Let me know how the graphics turn out from Kirby's because I don't have anything for it yet. I did not add the cockpit in the back so I could keep the weight down. I want the lightest wing load as possible. I took tons of pics throughtout the building and kept it as simple as possible. I did not use the flying wires they put in the kit. The set up time would take WAY too long at the field. I just used 1/8th cable and can have the whole thing ready to go in just five minutes. It takes longer to fill the 50oz tank than put the wings on. I will say that I didn't like the rudder system at all. I ended up using two eye bolts screwed into the rudder where I put a pice of plywood for better support. The idea was to get the hinge of the pull-pull as close to the rudder hinge as possible. The way they set it up is about an inch forward of the hinge line. I will be getting the 3W back on it next week and maybe fly its first flight soon. Our runway is sod and 600ft. I hope to see some of your video soon.

kevka 11-07-2005 11:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
few pics

rcdude7 11-08-2005 01:52 AM

Wow, that 3W-120 looks like a 48cc twin on the front of that fuse. Did you plan on using canister or in cowl mufflers on this bird? Also, was it fairly easy to relocate the main gear forward? Is that main gear made by Robart? Was it optional or included by comp-arf?
Sorry to pester with all the questions but, I happen to have a 3W-120 looking for a airframe to fly:D

Mike

kevka 11-08-2005 12:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The big cowl does make any engine look like a .40 size. I have standard mufflers and yes the relocation of the landing gear only took an hour. The landing gear is the optional gear you can order with the kit. If you build this bird they are a MUST!!! At 31lbs a 120 is plenty of power. You could even use a 80 twin but then you would have to add alot of nose weight.

kevka 11-12-2005 11:21 PM

I got my new carb and will be putting it all back together soon. I just hope the weather holds out for a few more weeks so I can get it to the field. Down here in Alabama the weather has been in the high 70's and low 80's. T-shirt and shorts weather. But the wind has been picking up the last few days.

Evenbigger D 11-13-2005 11:13 AM

What tailwheel unit did you guys use? I can't seem to find a suitable one.

kevka 11-13-2005 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It is not a tail wheele it is actualy a nose wheele by Fluts. Check out your LHS.

Evenbigger D 11-13-2005 03:37 PM

Thanks, thats what I was looking for. The instructions are very weak.

40GeeBee 12-16-2005 01:24 PM

I think I have located some excellent wheels for this composite-arf 1/3 scale GB racer intead of the Sullivans, the web site is, www.mbs.com they are used on a mountain skate board, model number,
Jeep CJ-5, 7" pneumatic wheel and they are lighter, cheaper, a pair is only $40.00. and they come with ball bearings in the wheels. Check this out,
Paul Steiner

modifyit15 05-12-2006 10:55 PM

if some on still has the videos from this post please E-mail me @ [email protected] Subject Gee Bee
thank you

TorkRollN 07-03-2007 10:59 AM

I noticed this thread is kinda old.

Anybody out there working on a Composite-ARF Gee Bee ?

Barry Finck

kevka 07-03-2007 06:55 PM

I ended up selling mine last year.

dirtydingus 09-05-2007 04:16 PM

I am also thinking of building a Composite-ARF Gee Bee. I would like some feedback on flying such a large fast plane. I fly at a field that is 600' paved with grass next to it about 700'. is this enough?

dirtydingus 12-28-2007 06:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is not a very active thread but I thought I would post a picture or two. I just got the Comp. ARF Gee Bee. Over all a nice arf, although there were a few problems with it. A small hole in the wing, a tear in the fuse. and an unusable rudder. I am waiting to see what is done to remedy the flaws.

jjmretired 01-01-2008 08:07 AM

That's one funny picture. You should send it into a magazine.

dirtydingus 01-12-2008 08:16 PM

A few other things of interest for perspective builders of the Comp ARF Gee Bee, DO NOT make the flying wires the lengths stated in the manual, or you will end up re-making them like I did. Their figures are between 15 and 20 mm short. At final wing fitting, I will relay the exact and correct lengths. I did receive a new replacement rudder and it is beautiful! How the first one slipped by quality control I will never know. It was junk! To be fair to Comp ARF, I should say that the rest of the plane is very, very nice. However, they do need to get on the ball and make a new, accurate and professional manual. Will post some pictures of progress in a few days.

Jim

PTS 02-07-2008 11:59 PM

subscribed

dirtydingus 03-31-2008 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,
I test flew my Gee Bee this weekend and it did not go well! It was the hardest thing to do, just keeping it in the air. Almost uncontrolable. I can't for the life of me figure out what is going on. I built it to exact specs. I am waiting to here back from tech support in hopes they have an explanation. It seemed to be a thrust issue, it pulls hard to the right. I had to mix in left rudder in with the throttle, strange. The only thing I changed other than the paint job was to ad the big spinner, could that be it? I have flown 3 flights and each time I was lucky to get it back in one piece. Any (good) advice is welcome.